Air Canada Interview

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

onezerotenthousand
Rank 2
Rank 2

Air Canada Interview

Post by onezerotenthousand »

Did anyone else get email for AC interview? Vancouver
---------- ADS -----------

AND THAT'S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES!
2low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 2low »

If you have a pulse...you get an e-mail.

Last edited by 2low on Sat May 26, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Reb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Johnny Reb »

Seriously though, what kind of experience do guys have now who are getting the call? Is it consistently say 5000 hours plus still, with applicable time or has it come down somewhat?

I am around the 4000 mark and I personally know people who have gotten on with less time than that, but they all knew somebody on the inside which I don't, and I am sure not getting any calls.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Last time I checked I had a pulse and yet no e-mail. :o

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
stratcat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by stratcat »

so they can hire military guys. 1500 hours of military flying is a lot of experience.

asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

Hours mean nothing. You have to be able to check the boxes. Glass, university, visible minority, PIC time, heavy time, military, … the more boxes you check, the higher your chances of getting in are.

If you want to know what the boxes really are just go and do an online application.

Gurundu the Rat
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gurundu the Rat »

Why would Jazz hire an instructor when they can get a student?

onezerotenthousand
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by onezerotenthousand »

To be clear here, this is not Jazz, this was / is Air Canada mainline, (email) as I have already turned Jazz down for a position to do something else (as $ was better) but Mainline is a different story altogether. My expereince is varied, mostly light twin turbine with some CARS 705 in the mix. Time being 4000+

AND THAT'S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES!
Fr8 dawg
Rank 1
Rank 1

H omo air

Post by Fr8 dawg »

that;s too funny,you guys just nailed righton, GURUNDU, KFC pilot and Johnny Reb.
I know 7 guys who have heavy jet time (and the kinda of jet you actually fly) and just can't see the light of the day with our so-called national flag airline...funny thing is that none of them really want to leave their current jobs and take a 42000 to 48500 per year pay cut, but just for laughs they apply for the, well, 3. 25% Milk Company. Yet, I just run into a turbo prop guy the other day who got about a buck and a half of, well, turboprop time and was hired fairly easy, which I'm sure he scored big points on one of the questions. The question? who cares, pathetic to think some legality with the government plays such a huge importance.
Gurundu, buddy, I think you ought to stop to make sense of this whole program.....it's like J. Reb said, you gotta know someone in the "in". He's right, but I have to say in defense of the 3.25% AIr, that aint no different from any other place. Even WJ, which onboard service really represents what we Canadians love to think of ourselves ((Friendly)) has the same game going on - you either know someone to walk your resume in or it's lost in the workopolis world.

stratcat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by stratcat »

Thats sure true,it started that someone would walk you into WJ to meet the individual and bang you got an interview. They thought they would change things since its this big company now. The latest now is go in on a wednesday and talk to another individual and you get an interview. The more things change the more they stay the same.

DADC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DADC »

called with 3500hrs.. 555 multi pic looks like the multi is what you need!!

Johnny Reb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Johnny Reb »

DADC wrote:called with 3500hrs.. 555 multi pic looks like the multi is what you need!!
Are you serious?

Assuming you are, do you have a university degree? Are you a member of a visible minority? Do you have an excellent internal reference? Or do just come across as incredibly poised in your cover letter?

Just trying to figure out which checkboxes trigger the batphone, cause it sure ain't the "I've got 555 hours of multi pic box", I'm pretty certain I checked that one along with the 1000 hours plus of "sittin on my ass, lookin at the pretty glass, drinking coffee the 705 way"

In the early stages prior to getting an interview, where presumably no personality plays into the equation, I am assuming it is a computer or at the very least some sort of an equation that gets you the phone call. If in this case the single most important factor in that equation is arguably not experience, what would those in the know surmise that it is?

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

The name of the game is to get noticed period. WJ or AC. Each company has well into the hundreds of applications (low thousands to be more accurate) all applicants have similar qualifications. How do you compete how do you get selected for the 100 plus vacancies per year. Your chances are not that great at either company. I know at westjet if you have the qualification, a personality and some sponsors to help you along and going to meet the hiring guys you usually get an interview. (not the guaranteed job. At AC it was the same for me. I worked with fellows in the past that got me noticed, the rest was up to me. plain and simple. I'm tired of reading the woe is me how do I get a job. Maybe you are just an idiot and nobody wants you. after all this is a small industry don't forget that for one second. Chances are you know me and I know someone who knows you. comprende mon frere?

Johnny Reb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Johnny Reb »

There is no woe is me here at all. I am just seeking some serious answers from people who might know. I have always worked hard in this industry, I have not likely pissed off any more or any less people than your average pilot, and I have paid my dues more than some and certainly a lot less than others, I am just not sure that this always plays into the equation with a large operator, where you may never get through the front door to fully showcase your attributes.

So many in this industry are quick to yell out, " Look at me, I did this all on my own, nobody ever lent me the money to finish my flight training, nobody ever cut me a break, I paid my dues every step of the way, my dad never helped me get an interview!" Well I call bullshit to anyone who says this because very few successful people in life made it strictly on persistence and hard work alone, generally that is just a good supplement to someone helping you out along the way at some point.

Jeremy Kent
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jeremy Kent »

Last edited by Jeremy Kent on Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highlander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by highlander »

I got called 2 weeks ago.

I have had an application in since 1999!

Almost 3 weeks ago I decided to re-apply with a new user id.

I don't know if there is any correlation.

Time: 5700 TT
3100 PIC
1300 MPIC

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

good work High, ya I wouldn't say much either Jer.

Jeremy Kent
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jeremy Kent »

Last edited by Jeremy Kent on Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

:lol: go work on dad's retirement plans..yawn, ya know the guy that got you the job here.

2low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 2low »

Last edited by 2low on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Air Canada”