Kids at Jazz

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Matra Magic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Kids at Jazz

Post by Matra Magic »

Hi everybody,

it seems that having young guys from the college flying at Jazz is a problem for some of you guys. I think it's more based on jalousy than anything else. Let me tell you something. I used to be military pilot before joining Jazz. I flew a F*****G fighter I was 20 years old with 200h00 total. A plane that cost more than any of the one you'll fly in your entire career. And more funny, I was ALONE to fly it !!! I am 100 % sure of something. It's gonna be fun to fly with them. They'll be happy to be there, motivated, easy to fly with compared to the old farts that you can see in any company complaining about everything ! Welcome kids, it's a pleasure to have on board.

Matra Magic
---------- ADS -----------

loadshed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by loadshed »

:roll:

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

I doubt they'll have the same standard of training than you. Whatever. I have nothing to gain or lose if they are hired. No jealousy here. I just can't say that i agree with it, but time will tell.

Drinking outside the box.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Kids at Jazz

Post by Old fella »

Matra Magic wrote:Hi everybody,

it seems that having young guys from the college flying at Jazz is a problem for some of you guys. I think it's more based on jalousy than anything else. Let me tell you something. I used to be military pilot before joining Jazz. I flew a F*****G fighter I was 20 years old with 200h00 total. A plane that cost more than any of the one you'll fly in your entire career. And more funny, I was ALONE to fly it !!! I am 100 % sure of something. It's gonna be fun to fly with them. They'll be happy to be there, motivated, easy to fly with compared to the old farts that you can see in any company complaining about everything ! Welcome kids, it's a pleasure to have on board.

Matra Magic
Yep.......... and when you get my age(and you will) you will learn soon enough that nobody really gives a @#$! if you had more time(jet) upside down than you counterparts when you first started the airline job. Or for that matter, if you had 3 lunar landings as pilot in command

BigB
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigB »

I think before everyone gets all spooled-up, we may want to look at what our fine friend is claiming. One cannot be solo in a hornet at 200.00 hrs, let alone at 20 years old. Taking into account that Moosejaw takes 1 year to complete, let alone Basic, SLT, PFS, and other various OJT, me thinks MM is a liar. MM, please verify if you were fast-track. Guys/Gals, me thinks we have either a troll, or someone who has had one too many tonight.

BigB,

flyinphil
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Kids at Jazz

Post by flyinphil »

Matra Magic wrote:Hi everybody,
Let me tell you something. I used to be military pilot before joining Jazz. I flew a F*****G fighter I was 20 years old with 200h00 total. A plane that cost more than any of the one you'll fly in your entire career. And more funny, I was ALONE to fly it !!!
....and then his Mommy woke him up for school...

squawk 7600
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by squawk 7600 »

hahaha....this is definitely the post of the day! MM is merely one of those Jazz kids trying to justify his existence. Good on ya buddy, keep pulling out all the stops, it just might work eventually.

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

HA Ha ha!
:lol:
3 posts? LMAO :roll:

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Matra Magic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hornet ?

Post by Matra Magic »

Big B

I never said it was in Canada... :wink:

How did you assume that ? :lol:

See you and fly safe

Matra Magic

Traf
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Traf »

Nice story! Can you tell me the one about the pretty sheep jumping over the fence now?

I got 10.00$ (CDN) that says you have about as much time in a fighter jet as I do in Jessica Alba!!!

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Microsoft Flight Sim just doesen't cut it MM.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Matra Magic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Clarification

Post by Matra Magic »

Hi everybody,

these few lines to clarify some points here and I won't spend my life doing that because I have more important things to do in my life (taking care of my family for example). I am talking here to people interested to know how military training is done in other countries. Some of you guys here don't have to read these lines because they already know everything about everything. :lol:
Where I come from, to be a military pilot you need a college degree, pass the selection and join a 6 months basic training (common to any officer regarding their specialty). After that, if you're in the flying branch, you go for a 7 months flying training. At the end of this 7 months, depending of your skills, they send you in the transport ( to become pilot on C160, C130, N262, Airbus, etc...) or the fighter section (to fly Mirage F1, Mirage 2000, Jaguar, etc...). At the end of this 7 months (on TB30) you hold something like a commercial licence, single engine. The fighter training takes about 20 months. The first jet you fly is the Alphajet and your first solo on this one is around 80h00 on type. We teach you basic manoeuvers, low level navigation, air/air defense , air/ground attack, etc...At the end of this training, you receive your "wings" and go in a squadron to reveive your training on a specific type (F1,Jaguar,Mirage 2000). From the begining (and if my maths are still ok :) ) it is 6+7+20=33 months so a little bit less than 3 years. I had my college degree at the age of 17th, join the air force that time and finish my training 3 years later between 20 and 21 years old ! But you were right BigB. I lied about the first solo on a fighter. I checked in my logbook and it's not 200h00 but around 250h00 ! :wink: Sorry about that mistake folks but it was 20 years ago ! Hopfully you were there to clarify that. :lol: Well, that's about it. Once again, it's my last post about that. It was a pleasure to explain you that (even to you smart asses !) and I wish you nice flights. By the way, I am not at Jazz anymore but at AC. Probably because they believed in my former military experience :wink:

Matra Magic

QFE
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by QFE »

"I had my college degree at the age of 17th.."
Did you happen to skip a couple of years of high school or was it an American buy it from a magazine degree?

flyinphil
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyinphil »

In the French school system, "college" is akin to High School in N. America. Typical ages of college students are 11-17 although pending your date of birth, you could graduate "college" at 16. I don't know that you could enter military service with that but either way, by NA standards, an unbelievable story... :?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

flyinphil wrote:In the French school system, "college" is akin to High School in N. America. Typical ages of college students are 11-17 although pending your date of birth, you could graduate "college" at 16. I don't know that you could enter military service with that but either way, by NA standards, an unbelievable story... :?

Sorry, So in france. College is equal to our high school?
If thats the case, thats messed up

Matra Magic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Baccalaureat

Post by Matra Magic »

Hi guys,

I don't know about he equivalence between the french system and the canadian one. The only thing I can tell you is that I passed my "baccalaureat" (the name in the french system) at the age of 17. I don't know what is the equivalent here (may be not he college degree, I am not sure !). Take care...

Matra Magic

flyinphil
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyinphil »

Matra, It is what was called Senior Matriculation in Canada. It is the equivalent of twelveth grade. I am not taking away from your claim or the French system which is well regarded, just pointing out that by Canadian standards, your initial statement would have been mathematically impossible.

Glad it all worked out for you regardless.

Matra Magic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Matra Magic »

Thank you FlyinPhil. It's just nice to be able to share informations on this forum without being treated like a liar It's nice to have people being able to understand that standards are not the same everywhere. Fly safe...

Matra Magic

Last post about htis subject...

QFE
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by QFE »

OK M2 I see where the "college" degree was lost in translation.
I still do not want a 250 hr. pilot a heart beat away from being responsible for the safety of my passengers.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

also you cannot compare the quality of training civ's get VS what the military gets. 1000 in the airforce is a seasoned vet, 1000 here is a license to learn.
I'm telling you as a college grad (not from seneca) and a former training pilot with a few king air opperators that these kids are in over their heads.
It's not a personal slight against them, its just that system of training is different. With a revamped system, and lots of sim time, yes it could safely be done. It's being done now, but I question just how safe it is.
The Dash maybe, but the RJ is going to bite them. I truely hope I'm wrong.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Return to “Air Canada”