Jumpseating on Air Canada?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Caly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Jumpseating on Air Canada?

Post by Caly »

Just wondering if U.S carrier pilots, CASS approved, can jumpseat on Air Canada within Canada, and if so, is it as easy as just showing up at the gate with your ID?
---------- ADS -----------

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Jumpseating on Air Canada?

Post by yycflyguy »

Depends on who you work for. If your company is on the reciprocal jump seat agreement, then yes it is as easy as showing up at the gate.... if one out of the 2 pilots remembered to carry a flight coupon.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Actually I'm not sure you can just show up at the gate. I believe you need to be listed on the flight first. Sorry I'm not completely sure how you would go about doing that but I'm sure your jumpseat commitee contact will have a number for you to call.

Cool Rythms!
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Cool Rythms! »

Yes, you do need to be listed as far as I remember. I used to jumpseat all the time when I worked with Kelowna Flightcraft, as I was a commuter. You must first contact Air Canada's crew scheduling. They will ask which company you work for, your rank (Capt., F/O, S/O) and your employee number. They will then create a booking for you with a reference number. When you show up at the airport, you must check yourself in with an agent and let them know you have been listed as a jumpseater. The crew operating that flight should already have been notified that there is a jumpseater. From there, hopefully the captain will have some extra flightdeck coupons with him.

This information is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I don't know if anything has changed in the last couple of years. Hope I was of some help.

Cheers :?

"When the power of love overcomes the love for power, only then will this world know peace"

- Jimi Hendrix
SkywestCRJ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SkywestCRJ »

I used to jumpseat on AC all the time. They are probably the most accomodating, professional, friendly, crews I've ever jumpseated with. But as far as I know you have to call to list first. As for the actual jumpseat, I'm not sure. I was always jumpseating international so I was not allowed in the actual. One of the AC guys might know the policy of the actual jumpseat within Canada.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Company employees only in the flight deck. You only get a seat if there is one available in the cabin as a non-employee.

TFE731
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TFE731 »

yycflyguy wrote:Company employees only in the flight deck. You only get a seat if there is one available in the cabin as a non-employee.
This is changing as we speak. TC just issued an exemption about 2 weeks ago.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

No kidding... can my Colombian girlfriend ride up front now too? Is the exemption just regarding professional courtesy or family members?

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

yycflyguy

Still dating the Columbian huh.....way to go!

Standby for new atis message
TFE731
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TFE731 »

yycflyguy wrote:No kidding... can my Colombian girlfriend ride up front now too? Is the exemption just regarding professional courtesy or family members?
So far just professional courtesy......

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Jaques Strappe wrote:yycflyguy

Yeah, for some reason she finds me charming. Weird. Not sure I told you but I had the privilege of working with Mrs. Strappe before I left the mighty mighty EMJ and went to the dark side. How did two dorky pilots like you and I score with the ladies?
TFE731 wrote:
yycflyguy wrote:No kidding... can my Colombian girlfriend ride up front now too? Is the exemption just regarding professional courtesy or family members?
So far just professional courtesy......
TFE. So can any airline pilot ride up front or do they have to be part of the recip agreement? Can I sit up front on a SkyService/Transat flight now?

TFE731
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TFE731 »

Yes any pilot but within Canada only (thus far). The latter part of your statement applies as well re: skyserice/transat. Was having a chat regarding this with an ACPA MEC Chair and they are not sure if we must wait for a company directive before implementing this new exemption. His interpretation was that the FOM was loose enough where we could begin this new procedure right away but said it'd be better to hear from our 'Jumpseat' committee first.

tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

Jaques Strappe wrote:yycflyguy

Good news. Now my Brazilian friend can meet my wife. :shock:

WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJ700 »

I'm missed my commute home last night, showed up in Calgary in the wee hours due to an IROP. I noticed AC had a 6am departure but the 1-800 line doesn't open until 30 minutes after the flight leaves... I asked the AC CSA's and they said there was nothing they could do???

It's no biggie as I can get on WestJet at 7am, but the hour earlier would have been very nice. Any way around this for a future trip?

ACAV8R
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ACAV8R »

Crew Sked might have helped if you got the chance to explain the situation.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

WJ700

I picked up a jumpseater in Seattle the other day who was not listed. I just asked the agent nicely if he could be entered into the system manually so that the manifest would reflect his details.

This took her all of 90 seconds to do. So, I am sorry to hear that you were told nothing could be done. I know the agent in Seattle was doing me ( and the jumpseater ) a favor, but that is what this is all about.

I didn't realize that the 1-800 line was not a 24 hour operation. I guess now that most people list via the web, they have scaled that back. Hey, can Westjet employees not list on Air Canada via the web? I know we gave you guys the passwords a few years back.. :smt040

Cheers

Standby for new atis message
WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJ700 »

Thanks for the help... I'm at home now but I'll keep the suggestions in mind for another try.

Bugz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bugz »

If neither guy has a coupon, am I hooped, or can they get one from a CSA? Planning a trip this month and I would hate to be stuck overseas because of a little piece of paper. :(

Anybody here doing YYZ-DUB Aug 21 and DUB-YYZ Aug 27? Don't forget your jumpseat coupons(pleeeze) :mrgreen:

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

Hey There!

I have started to use the Jumpseat agreement a few weeks ago. One of the captains told me that a pilot can have only 5 coupons in his bag at the same time and they need to put a request to "restock the pile"... So, just you know... It may explain why some pilots run out of coupons... Correct me if I am wrong...

So far, it has worked great for me and I would like to thank the guys who have allowed me on their plane...! Loving it!

T.

Return to “Air Canada”