Air Canada Maintenance Lay Offs

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PJ1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Air Canada Maintenance Lay Offs

Post by PJ1 »

Just throwing this out there, seeing as there is a lot of AC pilots on here. Are you all aware that there will be 1000 mechanics going out the door system wide. Within the next three or so months, these are AME's that are seconded to Aveos, (90% of Aveos work is on AC aircraft) however still on the same seniority lists as the AC line maintenance AME's. This in turn will result in major labour disruptions as the bump takes place.

It surprises me that there is little to no mention of this on here. This is no doubt part of a master plan to outsource heavy maintenance out of canada. Surely down the line this will effect you.

Understand that these numbers are in addition to the previous announced numbers. As it stands now, the final tallies will be:

YWG: April 20, 89 Perm, 222 Temp......and July 1, 45 Temp
YUL: April 20, 116 Temp,.......and June 1, 335 Term
YVR: April 20, 62 Perm, 110 Termp,.......and on June 1, 48 Perm

The final totals for all bases is now 1031.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by PJ1 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air Canada Maintenance Lay Offs

Post by scopiton »

bad news
just as I said on this topic but for different reasons
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61002
:drinkers:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

So who is going do fix all the planes? 1000 AMEs is a lot of guys.

Let’s Go Brandon
balfour
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balfour »

Red Red wine. Goes to my head :lol:

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

Best line so far from the union after meeting with both the company and their spin-off Aveos to mitigate the staff reduction with programs such as work share.
" It appears that neither Co. could organize a one car funeral never mind run a Corp ".

JayDee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JayDee »

Air Canada has drastically cut back on vacations slots for pilots this summer, is also planning on maximum designated monthly maximum's to try and cover the flying. AND say they will not hire.

Air Canada is Hiring 300 Flight Attendants for the summer.

and

they will run this busy schedule by laying off 1000 Mechanics?

Should be a tumultuous summer to say the least. Once again the passenger will pay the price in more ways than one.

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by conehead »

Inverted2 wrote:So who is going do fix all the planes? 1000 AMEs is a lot of guys.
Eventually, the aircraft you fly will be maintained here; http://www.aeroman.com.sv/

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Nice, more Canadian jobs outsourced to a 3rd world country. Way to go Air Canada!

Let’s Go Brandon
JayDee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JayDee »

Inverted2 wrote:Nice, more Canadian jobs outsourced to a 3rd world country. Way to go Air Canada!

http://www.aeroman.com.sv/page.jsp?pageId=35

Not even one token Canadian in the bunch ! And to think Air Canada used to be the National Carrier :x

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

And the death of the middle class continues...

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetsetfly »

Air Canada Mechs should have a strike and stop these nonsense of outsourcing work to 3rd world countries

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

JayDee wrote:
Inverted2 wrote:Nice, more Canadian jobs outsourced to a 3rd world country. Way to go Air Canada!

http://www.aeroman.com.sv/page.jsp?pageId=35

Not even one token Canadian in the bunch ! And to think Air Canada used to be the National Carrier :x

A national carrier outsourcing its maintenance to a company in Central America El Salvador a country of questionable stability especially during the civil war from the 80's to 90's........ what's next contract pilots from that place to ferry the planes back and forth.

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

Every airline is playing the same game, so too their AWA's, their governments and losing. Looking at an opened up engine last night, it was hard to spot something right, problem is, its everywhere. There's no way to address the issues, I only have ill feelings when I see little kids getting on board as they have little choice in what they do. As for the rest, its pure denial of all parties and fate will decide, hopefully it works out. Each group in AC is looking out for themselves and distancing themselves from other work groups. I'd like to say its managements plan but that too is denial, as their ability to plan is legendary. Getting rid of maintenance will be the indicator the end is near and that may not be a bad thing.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Best part is, I remember reading in my local paper that AC is gonna increase flights/seats soon... Don't really know how they are gonna do this with -1000 AME's

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1167072.html

Cat19
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cat19 »

You don't really know how they are going to do this with -1000 AMEs?

Think about it... they are going to have more planes in the air with an increase in the time intervals between maintenance visits...that's how.

Planes don't make money when they're sitting on the ground and Air Canada wants as few planes as possible sitting in hangars.

Less planes in the barn = Less mechanics needed

All of the bases are losing at least one maintenance line...that's where the 1000+ layoffs are coming from.

BTW...to the OP...last numbers I saw showed no permanent layoffs in YUL...all temporary. But knowing this business...that could have changed in the time it took me to type this.

jetdoc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetdoc »

http://www.iamaw.ca/newsen.php?nid=345

The only difference between temporary and permanent layoff is AIr Canada can delay paying severance for a year with the temps.

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless what we are told;

Religious dogma is doing what we are told, no matter what is right."
dev99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dev99 »

thank you jetdoc that explains the temp and perm. layoffs..

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

The removal of any incentive to be productive has been accomplished by both the company and the union. The guys doing the work have had all their try taken out of them by both parties.

jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetsetfly »

so i hear the layoffs have now been pushed to june

IBPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IBPilot »

Just some more info on AC's situation with AVEOS and the mechanics of AC

Once AC's mechanics are officially moved to AVEOS in the near future, they are going to be given a few options. Either retire from AC and loose their flight benefits, move to a bigger base like Toronto or Vancouver and find work with AC in another field but they get bumbped back to a year one senority scale or stay working with AVEOS. If they stay with AVEOS, their pensions will stay in the control of AVEOS. They will retire as per AVEOS's terms.

If a Mechanic chooses to move to a bigger base and find work with AC (not go with AVEOS), he will be the first out the door if there is a major layoff because his C25 (lets say) senority is reduced to the senority of a person who has one year with the company.

In my opinion, AC's mechanics are being sold like slaves to AVEOS and in return, AC is getting hundreds of millions of dollars for this decision.

Unfortunately, if you have lower priority (senority) with AC as a mechanic, your choices are greatly restricted. If you are a CAT 1 lisenced mechanic and move to another bigger base (like YYZ), you have the option of retaining your senority but you have to pick up your life and move it.

In a nut shell and basically what everyone else has said, AC is a basket case right now. AC's mechanics have not gone to AVEOS officially right now, meaning they are still getting a paycheck from AC but soon (like as soon as November), all AC employees will be switched over to AVEOS control and a letter will be sent out outlining each mechanics options (as they have been laid out above)

My dad is mixed into this and so I do feel for all those who have been sold by AC.

Regards

Give me a mile of highway and I'll show you a mile; give me a mile of runway, and I'll show you the world!

Return to “Air Canada”