Service disruptions during Jazz strike

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Service disruptions during Jazz strike

Post by Troubleshot »

I am curious is to how Air Canada will deal with Jazz strike (if there is one)...I know the obvious one is to cancel flights but would they search out charter operations? WestJet, Porter, etc to get there passengers where they need to go? I suppose they could also utilize their own aircraft as well but I can't imagine that would work out very well for the rest of their operation.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Troubleshot on Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Service disruptions during Jazz strike

Post by yycflyguy »

From ACPA POV the union is not planning on covering any extra flying left vacant in the event of an operations disruption. I believe it is illegal to source out the work during a legal labour dispute so I would guess that many connections will not be made. If there is a strike, I believe it will be short lived.

Having said that, there is nothing stopping WJ or Porter from increasing capacity on known routes that Jazz feeds into AC hubs. It would be poor business from their perspective not to profit from this opportunity.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

yycflyguy wrote:From ACPA POV the union is not planning on covering any extra flying left vacant in the event of an operations disruption. I believe it is illegal to source out the work during a legal labour dispute so I would guess that many connections will not be made. If there is a strike, I believe it will be short lived.

Having said that, there is nothing stopping WJ or Porter from increasing capacity on known routes that Jazz feeds into AC hubs. It would be poor business from their perspective not to profit from this opportunity.
The last time the FAs went on strike there were quite a few different airlines chartered to help out. Including a Convair with beautiful gold sinks out of YVR. Not sure who's it was. I just remember fueling it in YYC and airport authority pulling in after it with one the main gear tires that detached on landing.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Cypress airlines a short lived offshoot of the FBO, they ran GM's old corporate shuttles, after they replaced them with Saab 2000's

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

I won't be crossing the picket line. Especially behind the comfort of a different tail logo.

Increasing capacity on the route is one thing. Being chartered specifically for a Jazz route, is another.

A win for the Jazz pilots is a win for everyone.

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: AMEN :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

IIRC, the last time that Jazz went out (mid 90's?) the CMA was contracted to do a lot of the replacement work. I suppose that AC could hire anyone they like to cover the part of the flying that is done by JAZZ..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

Just to clarify - Jazz Air LP has never had a strike. I believe that the last strike by one of Canada's regional airlines was in 1997 when Air Ontario, Air BC and Air Nova were on strike.

AC could charter Air Creebec or others to provide aircraft during a strike at Jazz Air LP. Any pilot operating those aircraft would be scabbing Jazz Air pilot's work.

Last edited by mattedfred on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Geez...I never even thought of the "scab angle" in all of this. Hopefully Jazz management will wake up and a strike can be averted or at least kept to a short term.

Good luck to all.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

As far as CMA picking up the slack, in the CA it states that for every 100 block hours flown by Jazz, a Tier 3 may operate 21 block hours. So unless they are sitting below that number now, they can't. I imagine they would have to use the block hours we were schedueled to, do at the time of the stike.

Last edited by mbav8r on Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

perhaps someone with more time on their hands could post some links or text from documents outlining how an employee can avoid scabbing another employee groups work while keeping their job?

Brick Head
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Brick Head »

yycflyguy wrote:From ACPA POV the union is not planning on covering any extra flying left vacant in the event of an operations disruption. I believe it is illegal to source out the work during a legal labour dispute.
Some provinces have made replacement workers illegal. Not so at the federal level.

ACPA has said they will not do any extra flying. Meaning no increases to monthly block hours. ACPA nor the pilot group can refuse to fly a route normally done by Jazz. The union can be held accountable and the employee disciplined. The best we can do is adhere to our CA as best we can in support of Jazz. We both know what that means for AC. If they sent me, or you, to do a YAM turn something else will get can canceled. There are not enough crews. It may not always be the Jazz flights getting canceled as a result of the Jazz strike. It is entirely probable AC flights will be canceled as AC redeploys.

Don't go over DMM.
Don't do drafts
Don't do makeup.

But if they say fly to YAM? You have to go.

Brick Head
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Brick Head »

mattedfred wrote:
AC could charter Air Creebec, Air Georgian or others to provide aircraft during a strike at Jazz Air LP. Any pilot operating those aircraft would be scabbing Jazz Air pilots work.
Do you want support?

If you strike there will be AC, Georgian, CMA ect. pilots on the routes you operate for AC. It is a fact. It is also a fact that unless those pilots work extra? Something will give somewhere else. Where it gives will be determined by AC's deployment plans.

I suggest you loose the "scab" word if you want the support of your peers.

What do you think the AC regionals did in 1998 during the AC strike. Or the Canadian pilots during the Time air strike? Where they scabs?

Brick Head
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Brick Head »

mbav8r wrote:As far as CMA picking up the slack, in the CA it states that for every 100 block hours flown by Jazz, a Tier 3 may operate 21 block hours. So unless they are sitting bellow that number now, they can't. I imagine they would have to use the block hours we were schedueled to, do at the time of the stike.
When you are on strike your contract expires. You have no contractual limits on Teir 3 flying.

With the above 3 post said. Good luck. I will support you in the only way I can. That being nothing extra.

But drop the scab language. You will only hurt your own cause.

I mean really. Do you really expect others to put their livelihood on the line for your cause? No of course not. Nor I, would of you. What I expect is Nothing Extra from my peers in a bid to help undermined my efforts to achieve a better CA.

A little ironic don't you think? You want me not to undermined your efforts to achieve a better CA. Yet how many times now has ALPA Jazz gone out of their way to undermined my ability to achieve a fair CA? How many pilots are in the position group at AC as a direct result of Jazz going after the DC9 replacement aircraft during CCAA. 500ish?

Never mind though. I will support you. I won't undermined you. Because it has to stop somewhere. I hope you achieve a fair CA. Just remember you have some inflicted collateral damage here at AC that needs to get cleaned up next year as well. If we strike you will have to fly my routes. I expect you to do so. I also expect you will give absolutely nothing more than the basics required under your terms of employment.

IronMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IronMan »

Doing work assigned by your employer is not scabbing. Doing extra work to grab $$ or allow your company to put more pressure on Pilots that have struck a company is. Just remember that when your own Pilot contracts come due, you will get back what you give.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

You're right about the word "scab", Myself, I have a different understanding of the meaning of scab workers. I always thought it meant workers brought in to do your work with your equipment. ie; In a mining environment, workers brought in to your mine, usuing your drills, etc.. In this instance, I don't personally feel that if others are deployed on our routes it would be scabbing. As you said, I'm not expecting anyone to put their livelyhood on the line for my(our) cause. Any help by way of not accepted extra work will be greatly appreciated by all, I'm sure. But nobody should risk there job for us, I wouldn't.
When you are on strike your contract expires. You have no contractual limits on Teir 3 flying.
Can you direct me to where you find that in the labour code, I had an understanding that the contract is in effect until we get a new one. If we were, for example, to be legislated back to work after 3 days, this implies we would have no contract and therefore a free for all by the company.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

Brick Head
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Brick Head »

mbav8r wrote: Can you direct me to where you find that in the labour code, I had an understanding that the contract is in effect until we get a new one. If we were, for example, to be legislated back to work after 3 days, this implies we would have no contract and therefore a free for all by the company.
Sorry I am not a labor lawyer. Just been lucky enough to be on strike a couple of times. :rolleyes:

But yes if you strike your contract expires. Talk to your MEC this is pretty basic stuff. They probably don't like saying that kind of thing because is sounds way more ominous than it actually is.

There are other checks and balances. I don't believe Jazz can legally reduce an offer already made for instance. Bargaining in bad faith. If you are legislated back the arbitrator is supposed to take into account what you would have likely attained had the back to work legislation not been implemented.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Sorry, I meant free for all regarding work rules, while we're back to work awaiting arbitration. If we have no contract, the company can do whatever they want, there is no CA to abide by at this point. Just seems wrong to me. I will ask the MEC, thanks.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Brick Head
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Brick Head »

mbav8r wrote:Sorry, I meant free for all regarding work rules, while we're back to work awaiting arbitration. If we have no contract, the company can do whatever they want, there is no CA to abide by at this point. Just seems wrong to me. I will ask the MEC, thanks.
No that's not what I meant either. Your old work rules get imposed while waiting. The contract is expired only while on strike.

Return to “Air Canada”