schedules for new hires

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

aviatrx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: schedules for new hires

Post by aviatrx »

Just curious how long you could expect to be on reserve as an EMB F/O vs. the 767 RP or 777 RP?

Also wondering if someone could post a typical trip on the EMB....is the flying mostly long days, short layovers, typical airport hotels?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

chancellor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chancellor »

Emj F\O commuter hired in January. 2 months on reserve, and a block (much better as a commuter) since then I have over 50 behind me now. I work 16 days a month. Current pairing: Commute to cyyz, Day 1 yyz-yxe, Day 2 yxe-yyz-ewr, Day 3 ewr-yyz-yhz-yyz done in time to hopefully get home, 4 days off. L/o were 20 hrs and 15.5 hours. But it depends how you bid and seniority. There has been about 20-25 on reserve usually every month.

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

Luck and timing are BIG factors in determining your working conditions. Currently, there are B777 RP's hired in June 2011 holding a block, and only working 9 days a month.

Until very recently, you needed at least 12 years seniority to hold B777 RP. All pilots hired after 2003 (post CCAA) are PERMANENT Position Group pilots if they ever bid an RP position. It seems the have run out of senior enough to bid B777 RP and get formula pay ($120/hr for level 10) The last couple of bids had vacancies for the B777 RP position because if you are a Position Group pilot, it pays the same as EMB FO. Pilots with 5 and 6 years would rather fly as 320 FO or EMB CA and make real formula pay. I believe that less junior pilots are often frozen from bidding RP or would face a 4 year freeze. (anybody know?)

chancellor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chancellor »

It has been all timing for me for sure. In addition anyone that moves to a lower position faces a 4 year freeze. I know of a couple of people that bid off the emj captain position to 320 and 767 fo mainly for schedule and they both are frozen but lifestyle will improve greatly. As far as being and emj fo if i bid lower to the rp positions then I would be frozen. In my case I chose the emj more so to be closer to home and the possibility of layovers at home with a couple young kids. It doesn't really matter what you choose while you are on flat salary, I think the hourly pay is slightly higher on the emj once the third comes around but I think it will be pretty easy to move across when the time comes. I also have friends on the 767 rp position that work the same as me due to the deadheads one way. But it is all personal preference. Hope this helps.

learcapt
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by learcapt »

Hey everyone.

Sorry trying to get a little more specific info if I can. After the two years at the same pay level, what is the schedule after that...assuming remaining on the EMB.

Thanks so much!

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

learcapt wrote:Hey everyone.

Sorry trying to get a little more specific info if I can. After the two years at the same pay level, what is the schedule after that...assuming remaining on the EMB.

Thanks so much!
The current optimizer will guarantee that your 16 days on the EMB will be terribly UNPRODUCTIVE.

Day 1; 1 leg to YOW, sit for 2 hours, 1 leg to YYZ sit for 3 hours, 1 leg to YWG
Day 2; 5:30AM pick up, 1 leg to YYZ, sit for 3 hours, 1 leg to LGA, 1 leg to YUL
Day 3; 4:30AM pick up, 1 leg to YYZ, sit for 4 hours, 1 leg to ORD, 1 leg to YYZ, sit for 3 hours, 1 leg to BOS
Day 4; 1 leg to YYZ, sit for 2 hours, 1 leg to YOW, 1 leg to YYZ, sit for 2 hours, 1 leg to YUL, 1 leg to YYZ.

All for 18.5 hours of credit. Repeat cycle 3 more times in the block month.

Return to “Air Canada”