Fatigue cited in AC inflight incident

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Fatigue cited in AC inflight incident

Post by Airbrake »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... eport.html

Canada's Transportation Safety Board says several factors, including pilot fatigue, contributed to an incident aboard an Air Canada plane last year that sent seven passengers to hospital in Switzerland.

The TSB's report on Flight 878, released Monday morning, details the chaotic incident aboard Air Canada flight 878 several hours after it left Toronto for Zurich on Jan 13, 2011.

The incident in the middle of the flight, at night over the Atlantic Ocean, was described at the time as severe turbulence.

In this still image taken from a passenger's video uploaded to YouTube, Air Canada crew members inspect damage on the panels of the cabin after a violent mid-flight disturbance on Jan. 14, 2011. (YouTube)
Instead, the TSB report says the first officer, who had just woken up from a nap in the cockpit, initially mistook the planet Venus for a U.S. Air Force C-17 military aircraft in the vicinity, and later decreased altitude abruptly after being "confused" and believing they were on an "imminent collision course" with the other aircraft.

The captain counter-reacted by pulling the plane up. The moves shook the aircraft violently and caused several passengers not wearing their seatbelts in economy class to be thrown up in the air and then flung down into their seats and the aisles of the cabin.

Fourteen passengers and two crew members on board flight suffered various injuries, and seven were sent to hospital after the plane touched down in Zurich.

If you have information on this incident or others like it please email investigations@cbc.ca.

Pilots are allowed to take "controlled rests" of up to 40 minutes in the cockpit to improve crew alertness during critical phases of flight, the TSB says. However, the in-charge flight attendant must be alerted and instructed to call the flight deck at a specific time.

The TSB report into flight 878 said the pilots did not inform the in-charge flight attendant that the first officer was going to take a rest.

Canada's pilot fatigue measures questioned
The report is expected to renew the debate over whether Canada's regulations governing pilot schedules do enough to prevent pilot fatigue.

The Air Canada Pilots Association and other unions, representing almost 7,000 pilots, have been calling for Transport Canada to change flight and pilot scheduling regulations.

Under Canadian regulations, pilots can be on duty for 14 hours, or up to 17 hours if there are unforeseen circumstances.

The TSB report also revealed that a third Air Canada pilot was on board, but was seated in a regular seat so he wouldn't be paid.

U.S. airlines flying routes of similar duration to the Toronto-Zurich flight require three pilots on duty.

In December, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration issued new rules aimed at preventing airline pilots from flying while dangerously fatigued.
---------- ADS -----------

Johnny Mapleleaf
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Fatigue cited in AC inflight incident

Post by Johnny Mapleleaf »

Deleted.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

Should never have happened!!!!!
I have been saying for years that flights out of YYZ to Europe are augmented with an RP the "wrong way", buddy sleeps through the night on the way over while the two stiffs up front battle to stay awake and then when everybody is refreshed by a good nights sleep there are 3 in the pointy end on the way back.
This has to be the most blatant misuse of the RP anywhere in the world.
But who am I to comment!!!!
NW

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Norwegianwood wrote:Should never have happened!!!!!
I have been saying for years that flights out of YYZ to Europe are augmented with an RP the "wrong way", buddy sleeps through the night on the way over while the two stiffs up front battle to stay awake and then when everybody is refreshed by a good nights sleep there are 3 in the pointy end on the way back.
NW
Strange days indeed when I agree with you 100%

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

yycflyguy wrote:
Norwegianwood wrote:Should never have happened!!!!!
NW
Strange days indeed when I agree with you 100%
:wink:

Return to “Air Canada”