Air Canada Pool

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Air Canada Pool

Post by mbav8r »

Something to consider, approximately half the pilots are on the PML, minimum of 500 offers to either go to AC or retire early with a package. By 2025, most of the pilots that were not on the list will be retired or very close to retirement.
So, if you consider that the wages are the same for all Jazz pilots, it just takes three years longer to get to the top pay scale for new hires, if AC reduces the amount of pilots they take from the express carriers at some point down the road they will have a regional feeder with the majority of the pilots at or near the top pay again.
I believe the 80% ratio will continue, the 703/704 pilots will come and spend 5 years at the express carriers, 2 years as FO then 3 as Captain and move on to AC. 5 years is plenty of time to recoup training cost and the average age of the pilots going to AC will be much younger going forward.
---------- ADS -----------

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

AC has been pretty selective from Sky. So far successful candidates are from the 5 big schools or hold a university degree. Even MFC or having multiple internal recommends are not cutting it. So, if you are coming to Sky just for the so called PML, please give it a long hard thought.

However, I agree the goal posts move every 6 months or so. So, who knows?

Q....why doesn't ACPA take any ownership on who gets hired at AC? You would think being a professional union shop they would require candidates to come from a professional unionized shop.

Art

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

Art Garfunkel wrote:
Q....why doesn't ACPA take any ownership on who gets hired at AC? You would think being a professional union shop they would require candidates to come from a professional unionized shop.

Art
ACPA, or any Union, has zero say in who gets hired. That's not their mandate and that's not how unions work. Also just because a place is unionized doesn't means it's professional and likewise being professional doesn't require a union. Unions protect workers rights and working conditions to the best of their abilities And are only as good as the membership it is comprised of.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

gtanorth wrote: Attrition outside of brand needs to be eliminated to be competitive at each Express partner and recruitment into express needs to be desirable to the young people wanting to work at AC.
So how does turning down the majority of senior express employees from phone interviews helping this cause?? Turn them all down from a future with AC, why shouldn't they leave the brand all together to progress their careers away from the regional carriers?? It doesn't make sense.

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

Jimmy_Hoffa wrote:
Art Garfunkel wrote:

Art
ACPA, or any Union, has zero say in who gets hired. That's not their mandate and that's not how unions work. Also just because a place is unionized doesn't means it's professional and likewise being professional doesn't require a union. Unions protect workers rights and working conditions to the best of their abilities And are only as good as the membership it is comprised of.

Hi Jimmy,

Actually I hate the term "union" as well. I much prefer "professional association".

However professional associations actually do have a great say in who gets hired and who does not get hired in the fields they represent. IBEW, the Iron Workers, and many professional associations have a great deal of say. Just because it has never happened at Air Canada before, why should it not happen? After all it is not the HR department sitting in a closet size room for hours on end with the people THEY want to hire. It is the pilots that are members of a professional organization such as ACPA. And agreed, they "are only as good as the membership it is comprised of". So why wouldn't you want to have a say who comprises of the membership? Keep the strength and integrity of the herd strong.

I believe Jazz has a sim eval that is evaluated by just pilots and no HR. One has to pass this step before moving on to the next. Also, I believe the Sunwing interview is made up of just pilots. They have a couple of HR Q's to ask but it is them (Pilots) making the "yay" or "nay" to the success of the candidate. Both companies have professional association representation.

Art

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

Art Garfunkel wrote:
Jimmy_Hoffa wrote:
Art Garfunkel wrote:

Art

Hi Jimmy,

Actually I hate the term "union" as well. I much prefer "professional association".

However professional associations actually do have a great say in who gets hired and who does not get hired in the fields they represent. IBEW, the Iron Workers, and many professional associations have a great deal of say. Just because it has never happened at Air Canada before, why should it not happen? After all it is not the HR department sitting in a closet size room for hours on end with the people THEY want to hire. It is the pilots that are members of a professional organization such as ACPA. And agreed, they "are only as good as the membership it is comprised of". So why wouldn't you want to have a say who comprises of the membership? Keep the strength and integrity of the herd strong.

I believe Jazz has a sim eval that is evaluated by just pilots and no HR. One has to pass this step before moving on to the next. Also, I believe the Sunwing interview is made up of just pilots. They have a couple of HR Q's to ask but it is them (Pilots) making the "yay" or "nay" to the success of the candidate. Both companies have professional association representation.

Art
Neither Jazz or Sumwing are "Associations" they are both ALPA. Don't get too hung up on the word Association, they are all just trade unions and are treated as a trade union under the CLC.
ACPA has pilots on the interview panel. It varies but it is usually 1HR rep and 1 or 2 pilots. So they do "get a say" in about the same capacity as Jazz or Sunwing ALPA reps do. Add onto that an internal recommend form and that's about as much say as any Union will ever get in how a company hires.

-Jimmy

P.S. Sorry for the thread drift, ffeel free to PM me. Most probably want to hear about the next equipment bid comming or in April. Hopefully showing 300+ vacancies.

hst
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hst »

Neither Jazz or Sumwing are "Associations" they are both ALPA
ALPA at Sunwing? Really. Better let the Sunwing pilots know!!!

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

hst wrote:
Sorry, I stand corrected. Sumwing is CAW, it was Canjet that was ALPA.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

Any mails/calls for OTS hiring since the app window opened???

ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ei ei owe »

Jimmy_Hoffa wrote:
hst wrote:
Sorry, I stand corrected. Sumwing is CAW...
That was a few years ago.....

Everything comes in threes....
Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

Calls have been outgoing to candidates who just filled up the website application and meet Air Canada requirements. They're doing phone interview for now.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Ironman2909 wrote:Calls have been outgoing to candidates who just filled up the website application and meet Air Canada requirements. They're doing phone interview for now.
Has any one received one of these? What type of total time are we talking about?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Ironman2909 wrote:Calls have been outgoing to candidates who just filled up the website application and meet Air Canada requirements. They're doing phone interview for now.
how do you know this? "Calls"? I'm sure I'm not the only person who know people anxiously waiting to be contacted. Also, unless things have changed (which of course they could), no one gets called for an interview. It's all set up by email.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

When I said calls I meant ... Any emails etc

Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

atphat wrote:
how do you know this? "Calls"? I'm sure I'm not the only person who know people anxiously waiting to be contacted. Also, unless things have changed (which of course they could), no one gets called for an interview. It's all set up by email.

Two of my friends who have recently filled the online application have been called and setup phone interviews (in the last week). I know this is new, don't ask me why.....I'm just providing the info. What I can say is both of them had well above the requirements mentioned on the website (TT above 2500hrs, University Degree, etc).

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Ironman2909 wrote:
atphat wrote:

Two of my friends who have recently filled the online application have been called and setup phone interviews (in the last week). I know this is new, don't ask me why.....I'm just providing the info. What I can say is both of them had well above the requirements mentioned on the website (TT above 2500hrs, University Degree, etc).
That's it and they're getting calls? I assumed the competition would be much tougher than that, like Transat/Sunwing guys and expats with well into 5-10k hours...

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

sstaurus wrote:
Ironman2909 wrote: Two of my friends who have recently filled the online application have been called and setup phone interviews (in the last week). I know this is new, don't ask me why.....I'm just providing the info. What I can say is both of them had well above the requirements mentioned on the website (TT above 2500hrs, University Degree, etc).
That's it and they're getting calls? I assumed the competition would be much tougher than that, like Transat/Sunwing guys and expats with well into 5-10k hours...
He said well above the mins in the ad. I suspect candidates will have much more time then mins.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Fr8 dawg
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fr8 dawg »

Is the 2016 hiring over now? I don't see where one could apply online anymore?

dtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dtpilot »

Portal is closed. Was open for a month. On another note it's been silent on here for a while. Any calls or emails for interviews lately?

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

It's more about ticks in the box and then just strictly "hours":

As per the website:

Graduates of a three or four year diploma/degree program from a college or university
Aviation College degree or diploma
Commercial or military flight experience
Jet and/or turbo-prop multi-crew experience

I saw that preference is being given to people with degrees and looks like the process has evolved from simply going and doing an interview. ie Phone interview to start.

There has definitely been some "calls" or "emails" from the latest applications.

Return to “Air Canada”