Air Canada Pool

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

heavyjet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Canada Pool

Post by heavyjet »

How many people are in the pool for the next groundschool? and is this a sign that the music just stopped?
---------- ADS -----------

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air Canada Pool

Post by TheStig »

Being told the next ground school will be in November, there were 50 vacancies on the latest bid with 18 of those spots being filled by the September course. Things are likely to slow down with pilots now staying past 60. The total number of pilots required will not increase until the 787's start arriving in 2014.

homer85
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by homer85 »

[quote="TheStig"]Being told the next ground school will be in November, there were 50 vacancies on the latest bid with 18 of those spots being filled by the September course. Things are likely to slow down with pilots now staying past 60. The total number of pilots required will not increase until the 787's start arriving in 2014.[/quote

Majority of those vacancies on EMJ? Is that correct?

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

Most will be the EMB for sure, some current RP reductions showing, possibly a few 320 spots if current people don't want to move to the bottom of the list and lose their grandfathered year 1-4 pay.

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

DBC wrote:Most will be the EMB for sure, some current RP reductions showing, possibly a few 320 spots if current people don't want to move to the bottom of the list and lose their grandfathered year 1-4 pay.
About those new positions on EMB do you have any idea if any out of YUL?

Where do most new hires get based? Is it purely random or does one have good odds of getting YUL?

In case u haven't noticed, I'm from Montreal..

Any info about current entry level position and bases would be appreciated. Especially with new contract, I'm not sure what to expect anymore. Thanks

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

I believe all the previous YUL EMJ positions were filled from the bottom, but depending on how many (if any) bid off type from above during this bid, there might be some openings.

bravowhiskey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bravowhiskey »

If your in the pool can you get pushed out? Or does it basically mean your in the next groundschool.

gus70
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gus70 »

I heard AC sent out an email yesterday to the candidates that are in the hiring pool. Is this true?? How many of you are in the pool? Good luck to everyone

Twotter77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Twotter77 »

heavyjet wrote:How many people are in the pool for the next groundschool? and is this a sign that the music just stopped?
Can we have a show of hands as to if you are in the pool? Would be nice to know how big it is. I interviewed in July and did medical in August. I have been in the pool since then. I received an email about the Nov 12 groundschool that they might be calling this week. And I know another person I interviewed with got the same email along with a co-worker. So that is three at least!!

Might be nice to know what potential equipment we could expect to be flying!?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Might be nice to know what potential equipment we could expect to be flying!?
Probably A320 and maybe EMB spots depending how soon the reduction bid comes, mostly YYZ.

ram
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ram »

The company has stated that there would be no layoffs as a result of the EMJ 175 transfer (not that I believe anything the company says) and that in-fact hiring would continue...If this is true there should be NO reduction bid...stagnation maybe but not reduction...

For what it's worth...

-15 EMJ = approximatelty 150 mainline jobs

+2 LCC 319 = approximately 20 pilots
+2 LCC 767 = approximately 40 pilots (no RP's)
+2 777 = approximately 90 pilots

The numbers should balance out, give or take a few...
any hiring would be for attrition...

Cheers

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

when will the EMJ be transfered to SR ?
when are the 319/767 supposed to be transfered to the LCC ?
when will those 2 777 arrive ?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

there should be NO reduction bid
Of course there will be reductions at some point on the Embraer - they are getting rid of 15 aircraft. Just to be clear by reductions I don't mean layoffs, just reductions of the numbers of pilots in a given position. The pilots will fit into other positions.

Position Assignment List from last bid showed a bunch of open EMB FO spots in YYZ, If they start the reductions on the bid this month they wipe those out along with up to another +/-120 EMB spots. Guys will have to move somewhere, wherever they don't end up will be where new hires can go. If the reduction (or all the reductions) don't come next bid, then there is a possibility there will still be EMB spots for new hires. LCC doesn't start until next summer... I think that is where guys will get put in the future, but it's a tough guess what will be open for a November course. Maybe all A320? I think there were about 20 spots open last bid.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

So what can the guy who interviewed in July expect if he is hired in November in terms of career for the next 5 years? Crappy schedule on reserve?

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

ram wrote: +2 LCC 319 = approximately 20 pilots
+2 LCC 767 = approximately 40 pilots (no RP's)
+2 777 = approximately 90 pilots
Remember that the first two 67s and I believe the first four 319s are not net gains, they will be taken from the mainline fleet and be flying CARS rules with higher productivity, possibly leading to less crews/fin.

That said I agree with the statement that there will be no layoffs. The company and the PR department is smart enough to overstaff until attrition covers any reductions rather than give ACPA any ammo against the FOS.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

pelmet wrote:So what can the guy who interviewed in July expect if he is hired in November in terms of career for the next 5 years? Crappy schedule on reserve?
Best guess would be LCC FO. Nobody really knows what that entails unfortunately. All the details we have at this point are that you'll work a maximum 16 days a month with socialized monthly schedules and vacation periods. Pay rates for the first 4 years are the same as mainline with a 4 year position freeze. The LCC portion of the government imposed contract also mentions there will be no reserve, so your schedule will be just as good or just as crappy as everyone else's (depending on how you want to look at things).

I'd suggest that anyone interested in joining AC contact someone they know already on the property and take a look through the LCC portion of the contract and form their own opinion as relying on some anonymous posts on an internet forum isn't the best way to make career decisions.

Last edited by TheStig on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

scopiton wrote:when will the EMJ be transfered to SR ?
when are the 319/767 supposed to be transfered to the LCC ?
when will those 2 777 arrive ?
-Planned between Feb and June 2013
-319's starting next spring and the first 2 767's when the 2 new 777's arrive and subsequent 767's on a 1 for 1 basis as the 787's arrive
-Next June and September

That's the timeframe being relayed to the employees. But as they say, this is aviation, so don't believe anything until you're sitting in it on a runway at V1..

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

TheStig wrote:
pelmet wrote:So what can the guy who interviewed in July expect if he is hired in November in terms of career for the next 5 years? Crappy schedule on reserve?
Best guess would be LCC FO. Nobody really knows what that entails unfortunately. All the details we have at this point are that you'll work a maximum 16 days a month with socialized monthly schedules and vacation periods. Pay rates for the first 4 years are the same as mainline with a 4 year position freeze. The LCC portion of the government imposed contract also mentions there will be no reserve, so your schedule will be just as good or just as crappy as everyone else's (depending on how you want to look at things).

I'd suggest that anyone interested in joining AC contact someone they know already on the property and take a look through the LCC portion of the contract and form their own opinion as relying on some anonymous posts on an internet forum isn't the best way to make career decisions.
Pay at LCC is slightly less, starts at 46.94 when mainline is 50.27, first four years is around 7% less.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

I stand corrected, thanks. However, keep in mind there is a minimum block guarantee of 77.5 hours (at the LCC) and a 50% premium paid for time over 82.5.

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

Pretty sure four year flat rate is the same for LCC and mainline.

Return to “Air Canada”