50th Anniversary - Trans Canada Air Lines 831

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

EA757
Rank 4
Rank 4

50th Anniversary - Trans Canada Air Lines 831

Post by EA757 »

---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: 50th Anniversary - Trans Canada Air Lines 831

Post by Old fella »

I do remember that crash as was 13 yrs old at the time and a relative worked in YQX with the then TCA and he knew the Capt as this person flew through YQX heading over to London on the DC-8.

I downloaded the Board of Inquiry report and if I read correctly it(cause) was centered on some sort of trim failure issue although couldn't be determined if this was the actual cause. Also(correct me if I am wrong) but wasn't this the crash that spearheaded CVR/FDR installations.

EA757
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: 50th Anniversary - Trans Canada Air Lines 831

Post by EA757 »

Old fella,

You are quite correct regarding the CVR.
And here I thought they just came with the airplanes. LOL

Canadian commercial aircraft were not yet required to carry the automatic monitoring equipment or the cockpit voice recorder (the black box). However, that very day in Winnipeg the Automated
Data Processing Coordinating Committee of TCA was meeting to consider which system TCA should commit to. Not having this information available for TCA Flight 831 on the 29 November 1963 complicated this investigation and precluded ever finding a definitive cause for this crash.”…..

http://www.tcaflight831.com/Historical-Background.html

The original concept appears to originated in Australia after
a crash there.

The CVR was developed in the 1950s chiefly in Australia. In the investigation of the 1960 crash of Trans Australia Airlines Flight 538 the inquiry judge strongly recommended that flight recorders be installed in all airliners. Australia became the first country in the world to make cockpit-voice recording compulsory.[7][8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Aust ... Flight_538

Return to “Air Canada”