Employee Seating

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Employee Seating

Post by prop2jet »

cv990 wrote:Jazz Q400, seats 4AC are designated crew seats and wont be given out until the plane is full...
And most FA's like to switch those seats with passengers assigned to the last row of seats so they can be closer to the galley.
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Errr….speaking as one, Emirates captains deadhead in F, first officers deadhead in J. In uniform, no alcohol (duh), caviar and hand job optional.

Flight time is paid at normal duty rates.

That is all.

Merry Christmas to all you AvCanada reprobates! 8)

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

DBC wrote:
Does jazz have the ability to deadhead their people in Confirmed J? I heard that was happening, and I have seen their flight attendants in J while I was deadheading as a mainline pilot in economy.

Basic answer is no.

If you were deadheading on a DH/POS booking, and there was a Jazz FA in J, then someone broke a rule. I believe that even Jazz management only get a J class seat if space available. Only exceptions would be President and VP's likely are booked POS J.

shagger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shagger »

complexintentions wrote:Errr….speaking as one, Emirates captains deadhead in F, first officers deadhead in J. In uniform, no alcohol (duh), caviar and hand job optional.

That is all.

Best response ever.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

complexintentions wrote:Errr….speaking as one, Emirates captains deadhead in F, first officers deadhead in J. In uniform, no alcohol (duh), caviar and hand job optional.

That is all.

Great, now every disgruntled Air Canada customer will expect a handjob coupon as well as big seat.

As an aside, I think given the paycuts and then stagnation over the past 12 years, I've bought that J class deadhead seat. I would gladly give it up for the back-pay that would result form the re-instatement of my former salary plus inflation, but then people might have to pay an extra buck fifty for their ticket.

cv990
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cv990 »

Jazz crew on company deadhead (on shift) are PY2/J10. Not confirmed J, but space available. Positive space Y class (with a do not deplane notation), upgradeable.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

"As an aside, I think given the paycuts and then stagnation over the past 12 years, I've bought that J class deadhead seat. I would gladly give it up for the back-pay that would result form the re-instatement of my former salary plus inflation, but then people might have to pay an extra buck fifty for their ticket."

I think what he is saying is "I'm entitled to my entitlements"

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

Does anyone know if AC Express pilots can pick their seat for deadheads in economy class? I have been doing that for all my deadheads with Jazz and now apparently owe AC a considerable amount of money.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Like seat selection when you check in?

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

Like online through the AC app when checking in for the deadhead. I usually get assigned the aisle seat but because I am a big unit I prefer to switch it to the Emergency exit row seat. I have been doing this for the past 8 months at Jazz and have built up quite an unexpected tab.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I've been picking my seat for years. I don't know what you mean about owing money. When I deadhead I always try and choose my seat so I don't get a middle seat and have never been charged.

Let’s Go Brandon
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

You changed it to preferred seats? Didn't it say those cost extra?

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

I've been taking the best seat possible for 2.5 years... I guess I should start selling valuables. 😂

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

bearitus wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 am Like online through the AC app when checking in for the deadhead. I usually get assigned the aisle seat but because I am a big unit I prefer to switch it to the Emergency exit row seat. I have been doing this for the past 8 months at Jazz and have built up quite an unexpected tab.
It's an error. No we don't get charged to choose a yellow "preferred" seat. Instead of posting on avcan I suggest emailing your base rep or someone with contract compliance. It will be resolved quickly.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I can't see them charging you. It's clearly a mistake.

Did someone email you a bill or something?

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

You should post your issue in the Jazz forum. They might know more about what the contract says. I kind of doubts it mentions you are entitled to preferred seating but who knows. Maybe it was just something that they let slide for a while but now are cracking down on. I hope you aren't the one they are making an example of.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

The contract has no play here. It doesn't say anything. You can choose any seat AC allows you to choose. AC has always had ultimate control on our seating and passes, it isn't in the contract. In the past we could sit in premium econ, but alas no more. So AC is on top of and aware of what you can and can't choose for seating. If we were charged I'd owe thousands...

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Lightchop wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:07 pm The contract has no play here. It doesn't say anything. You can choose any seat AC allows you to choose. AC has always had ultimate control on our seating and passes, it isn't in the contract. In the past we could sit in premium econ, but alas no more. So AC is on top of and aware of what you can and can't choose for seating. If we were charged I'd owe thousands...
As of last week I could still choose premium economy when checking in 24 hours prior

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

av8ts wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:01 am
Lightchop wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:07 pm The contract has no play here. It doesn't say anything. You can choose any seat AC allows you to choose. AC has always had ultimate control on our seating and passes, it isn't in the contract. In the past we could sit in premium econ, but alas no more. So AC is on top of and aware of what you can and can't choose for seating. If we were charged I'd owe thousands...
As of last week I could still choose premium economy when checking in 24 hours prior
Hire date?

I can't. Used to be able to on the 330 and 787 but no longer. It changed for me about a year and a bit ago.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

POS/DH is 'H' fare class. It allows you to pick "Preferred" seating. Still Y class (coded as Y+) (*note* NOT premium economy on the widebodies which is 'O' class).

Some POS bookings are space-available J upgradeable as well. Depending on employer/contract etc.

Picking the yellow seats isn't going to cost you anything.

Widebodies have some preferred seats (first row Y, exit row...etc) but not a section like the narrowbodies. If you are not seeing them when you check in they are most likely already booked, or protected by reservations for PNR's with infants or children (some seats are near a bassinet/kept protected to keep children and parent beside each other)

Return to “Air Canada”