Air Canada's Embraer ERJ-175

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Air Canada's Embraer ERJ-175

Post by truedude »

Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. But Air Canada's first Embraer ERJ-175 arrived yesterday morning.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/883098/L/[/url]
---------- ADS -----------

gelbisch
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by gelbisch »

She's real purdy!

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

GIMME A FRIGGIN JOB, ALREADY! :lol:

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
yxu737
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yxu737 »

in other forums it shows cloth seating i thought it was supposed to be leather seating?

hypoxic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hypoxic »

I wouldn't mind flying a jungle jet!

rotateandfly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rotateandfly »

i cant wait to get a ride in it, gonna happen sooooon! 8)

Gurundu the Rat
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gurundu the Rat »

Nice airplane. Only 73 seat though. Thats 2 less than the Jazz 705s. As much as I'd love to fly it I gotta ask...
Why is Canada's flagship carrier not supporting the Canadian aviation industry and buying Canadian built hulls with the same capacity? I'm pretty sure we'll never see Varig operate CRJs.

gelbisch
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by gelbisch »

Gurundu the Rat wrote:Why is Canada's flagship carrier not supporting the Canadian aviation industry and buying Canadian built hulls with the same capacity?
Aren't they? I thought that there were more RJs coming, too.

And that said... a company has a responsibility to make money and stay alive... not to help keep other companies of the same nationality alive. It'd be nice to see, but they have to pick the a/c types that they believe will work best for them.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

And that said... a company has a responsibility to make money and stay alive... not to help keep other companies of the same nationality alive. It'd be nice to see, but they have to pick the a/c types that they believe will work best for them.
Correct, our AeroCourse instructor mentioned that when AirCanada was buying local they were paying 10 million more(per jet) then the competition.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Not to mention that the Bomardier product is a piece of crap. How many plugs can you stick into a 604?

At least the Brazilians designed an airplane from scratch instead of just sticking plugs into a biz jet.

There are only 15 E175's coming, the rest are 190's

gelbisch
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by gelbisch »

cyyz wrote:...when AirCanada was buying local they were paying 10 million more(per jet) then the competition.
:shock:

How much is an RJ? I thought I heard once that a 320 was around $30 million... I'd have thought an RJ would be maybe half to two thirds that, and nowhere near a sticker price that could reasonably be jacked +$10 mil.

I say again... :shock:

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

My other comments aside, as they are just my opinion. When Air Canada went shopping they narrowed the decision to the RJ, Embraer, A318 and Boeing 717.

Then they invited a group of super elite customers to a day at the hangar in YUL. Each customer had an opportunity to look in and sit in each aircraft and make comments. Their input aided in the decision making process.

The RJ scored very low but the company put in a token order anyway to appease the government.

Gurundu the Rat
Rank 5
Rank 5

Having flown both types of CRJs, I agree that the CRJ-100 is a piece of crap.
Aren't they? I thought that there were more RJs coming, too.
There should be 73 total including the 25 pieces of crap.

Gurundu the Rat
Rank 5
Rank 5

While we're on the subject of E175s and E190s... A few weeks ago I heard something to the effect that the company wanted to cancel the E175 order and swap it for 15 E190s instead. ACPA said no. Any truth to this? and why would ACPA not want bigger airframes?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Gurundu the Rat wrote:Nice airplane. Only 73 seat though. Thats 2 less than the Jazz 705s. As much as I'd love to fly it I gotta ask...
Why is Canada's flagship carrier not supporting the Canadian aviation industry and buying Canadian built hulls with the same capacity? I'm pretty sure we'll never see Varig operate CRJs.
Because the export development bank cannot offer the same terms to canadians as they can to outside airlines. when your paying off a billion dollar order prime -.5 is better than prime +1

quickflight
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by quickflight »

I know how the export dev bank works, now can you tell me how to get a freakin job!!!!!!!!

hook low flare late
duplicate2
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by duplicate2 »

Jaques Strappe wrote:The RJ scored very low but the company put in a token order anyway to appease the government.
My understanding was that there was also the benefit of shorter delivery times with the 705s. It also wouldn't have been smart to increase the fleet types at Jazz by 50%.

Do you have any specific reasons the 705s are bad other than disliking plugs? I realize they are less comfortable for pax than the 175, but they are different generation a/c, there's bound to be improvements.

The benefits of buying an older generation are lower acquisition costs (EDC, BDNES financing aside), proven platform, common type ratings, parts, servicing etc with exisiting fleet, large support network, not being the lead/early customer on a new type and so on.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

duplicate2 wrote:
Jaques Strappe wrote:The RJ scored very low but the company put in a token order anyway to appease the government.
My understanding was that there was also the benefit of shorter delivery times with the 705s. It also wouldn't have been smart to increase the fleet types at Jazz by 50%.

Do you have any specific reasons the 705s are bad other than disliking plugs? I realize they are less comfortable for pax than the 175, but they are different generation a/c, there's bound to be improvements.

The benefits of buying an older generation are lower acquisition costs (EDC, BDNES financing aside), proven platform, common type ratings, parts, servicing etc with exisiting fleet, large support network, not being the lead/early customer on a new type and so on.
No i don't have any particulars and really, I know little about the 705. It looks much more substantial than the 100/200

I do know that Bombardier did very well when a 50 seat jet was needed by the industry, yet they did do this by extending an existing airframe. They missed the boat however when the demand for more seats came along, hence their need now for money to develope a new airframe.

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Hmm I attended the Montreal road show of the new aircraft that AC was considering buying a while back. Unfortunately IMHO the Bombardier selection just didn’t make the grade when compared to the Jungle Jet but that judgment was based on look, feel and didn’t take in to account any of the statistical information. I observed RM walking around the various aircraft and he didn’t spend much time inspecting the RJ’s so it wasn't much of a surprise that Bombardier only got a token order. But hey the original design was a business jet which they tried to turn into a airliner hence all the problems.

Jaques you’re checked out on the E175 how does it fly?

Return to “Air Canada”