One List

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Iphoneuser
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: One List

Post by Iphoneuser » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 pm

After almost 3 years there are 0 Reasons to stay at Encore any more. Unless you like working 18 days per month for 703-704 wages. No flow, no seniority, 4-5 legs per day, getting extended and missing commuting flights, no pension and as far as I’m concerned the future looks very bleak at best. and now you have people who were very junior Encore FO’s with less then a year on the Q snake their way into Swoop and now they’re awarded a WJ mainline seat and bypassing 300 Encore pilots (just another kick in the dick) This Capt on the way out…The kool aid has been replaced with sour milk that they keep pouring food colouring in with hopes that no one notices.
---------- ADS -----------

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 pm

tbayav8er wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:02 am
So apparently, some of the junior Encore FO's who bid to Swoop when they first started up have now been awarded Mainline FO positions. In my opinion, that's brutal. The rest of us at Encore didn't bid to swoop because we wanted to support the mainline pilots by not bidding over to Swoop, and this is what we get. Those junior Encore FO's just jumped the line ahead of the entire Encore pilot group.

I get it. The frustration is unbearable and rightly so.

The initial crop of FOs who came from Encore should not bear the brunt of any anger. They placed their bids in a time of uncertainty, as did the initial bypass CAs, when the ALPA MEC believed Swoop conditions would significantly improved. The bypass CAs and FOs from Encore somewhat normalized the progression of seniority at Swoop, which was welcomed at mainline. Of course now, this is far from the case.

As for now, the Swoop conditions have worsened. There is a 2 year freeze and no annual bonus.

The best thing to do is apply to AC and try hard to get on. Practice behavioral interview questions, buy new shoes, get a good fitting suit and be the best version of yourself.

If not, then WS mainline is a good fall back. Eventually.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Blue42 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:46 pm
tbayav8er wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:47 am
Not quite. I've been at Encore for a little over 2 years, and I'm still more than 220 spots down the Encore list alone. This is also irrelevant, because management has shutdown flow from Encore to mainline, with no timeline in place to reinstate flow. The reason these people got a mainline spot who started around the same time as me is because they bid over to Swoop while the one list was still in tact. Since the Swoop pilots are now part of the same pilot list as mainline, those pilots that went to Swoop from Encore are near the top of the Swoop list, and therefore were able to bid successfully to mainline. The Swoop bid has been closed off to Encore pilots, as part of management shutting down flow, but even if I were to bid to Swoop (which I have no intention to ever do), I would start at the bottom of that list, and be 2 years lower on the pilot list than other guys who started at Encore the same time as me, who decided to bid over to Swoop, while the mainline pilots were still in arbitration. Anyways, I can complain until the cows come home, but at the end of the day, I just have to wait and see if I get a better job elsewhere. It's just BS though, and it's frustrating to see people who were willing to basically undercut WJ pilots while they were in arbitration get awarded for it.
Gotcha.....forgot about the flow part not happening right now. With planned over 200 new hires next year at mainline I’m sure it’ll start up again. Hopefully sooner then later....
I’m not so positive. Even 200 new hires would mean Encore would lose 100 Captains at the CBA targeted flow. If the 767s are quickly replaced, it could be 300 new hires next year or a loss of 150 Captains at Encore.

There is no way Encore can meet a 50% flow for 2020. As shown above, the penalty is pennies compared to the cost of grounding Q400s. The penalty will not make up for the YOS loss that the bypassed pilots will incur, not even close.

The best thing about the Encore CBA is that you get to go to another airline. And that’s not even happening. They’re too valuable to let go and not valuable enough to pay more.

Fanblade
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Fanblade » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:54 am

At the end on the day you will need your employer on side for a single list or flow through.

I very much doubt Onex will entertain anything that would make a possible sale of an asset more problematic.

Return to “WestJet”