More WJ layoffs

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: More WJ layoffs

Post by newlygrounded »

mbav8r wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:10 am Negotiations still ongoing but a glimpse of how many surplus pilots there are, good luck
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... or-summer/
Another nail in the coffin for anyone trying to get into this industry
---------- ADS -----------

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:48 am
mbav8r wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:10 am Negotiations still ongoing but a glimpse of how many surplus pilots there are, good luck
No need for the doom and gloom, things will turn around and hiring will resume eventually. It may take a few years for us to reach that point but there’s no reason to believe we won’t return to 2019 staffing levels eventually for the majority of carriers. Then there’s companies that have expanded, adding more jobs to the market down the road.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:06 pm
No need for the doom and gloom, things will turn around and hiring will resume eventually. It may take a few years for us to reach that point but there’s no reason to believe we won’t return to 2019 staffing levels eventually for the majority of carriers. Then there’s companies that have expanded, adding more jobs to the market down the road.
I disagree. Now is exactly the time for doom and gloom.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

How do you feel about the permanent concessions a lot of people have made in the industry? It's also possible that a conservative government would decimate the industry as well (less so for WS since they are mostly domestic)

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:05 pm

How do you feel about the permanent concessions a lot of people have made in the industry? It's also possible that a conservative government would decimate the industry as well (less so for WS since they are mostly domestic)
Yeah , the Liberal government has really had the back of the Canadian Air Carriers, NOT ! :roll:

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

jjj wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:38 pm Captains at WS made about 70K at the start. Oh and a little thing called stock options.
I know that it’s really easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight, but WJ could have very easily been any number of failed Canadian airlines.

Sure you sell the stock. But what if it falls before you sell? What if the company goes bankrupt? How is your compensation now?

What would you think of compensation by Flair or Porter stock? Or any airline stock right now?

No. Cash is king. Even per diems count for more than hopes and dreams until you cash out and cash in.

You’re just drawing an arbitrary line in the sand to exclude yourself and forgetting you used to pull snot rags out of seat backs for free not so very long ago.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:47 pm
jjj wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:38 pm Captains at WS made about 70K at the start. Oh and a little thing called stock options.
I know that it’s really easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight, but WJ could have very easily been any number of failed Canadian airlines.

Sure you sell the stock. But what if it falls before you sell? What if the company goes bankrupt? How is your compensation now?

What would you think of compensation by Flair or Porter stock? Or any airline stock right now?

No. Cash is king. Even per diems count for more than hopes and dreams until you cash out and cash in.

You’re just drawing an arbitrary line in the sand to exclude yourself and forgetting you used to pull snot rags out of seat backs for free not so very long ago.
Flair and Porter are fundamentally different. Porter - to my knowledge - never did go ahead with an IPO. Hmmm wonder why. Flair is also at best a copy cat - whereas WestJet was an industry disruptor. Remember the days when to get a deal on a flight it had to be return fair with a Saturday stay over. Also remember when places like Kelowna and Abbotsford were secondary airports. Hmmmm - who changed all that.

Cash certainly is king. These days we get fixed cash every year in lieu of options. Less risk and it’s steady.

There was a time when I groomed. Yep. That is years behind me. Old news.

The best cash in Canada is AC. Next is WestJet. After those two, the wages get smaller and smaller as you go down the list. We all pursue different paths for different reasons. Many spend an entire career at places like Jazz and have happy/rewarding lives.

I have some friends that fly corporate on some pretty fancy machines. They also vacuum and toss cookies. Whatever - it’s work. The difference is - I don’t admonish anyone for how they put in an honest days work.

WS has been a good ride. Lots of contract BS and I’ve never known a time in aviation when there wasn’t some kind of BS going on. I work with some stellar people and most days are quite pleasant.

I draw no arbitrary lines. I dismantle incorrect views on what WS WAWCON is. Long after the gamble for options paid out - WS has been a very lucrative place to work for most (pandemic aside.)

So have a nice day Zaibatsu.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

tsgas wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:32 pm

Yeah , the Liberal government has really had the back of the Canadian Air Carriers, NOT ! :roll:
When did I say the libs were doing a good job of it? I'm pointing out the cons will give us an even worse time

DouglasPenner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DouglasPenner »

Mail Justin Trudeau

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/c ... -1.5926728

At
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A2

With the writing on the back #SaveCanadianAviation

Tell your friends

Doug

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

newlygrounded wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:34 pm

When did I say the libs were doing a good job of it? I'm pointing out the cons will give us an even worse time
Sure . Your boy Trudy is a real winner.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

newlygrounded wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:34 pm I'm pointing out the cons will give us an even worse time
Based on what?

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Mach1 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:49 am
newlygrounded wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:34 pm I'm pointing out the cons will give us an even worse time
Based on what?
Try looking at the platform from the last election.

https://cpcassets.conservative.ca/wp-co ... 4e7480.pdf

From that document
========
52. Increasing Airline Choice for CanadiansIn close partnership with provincial/territorial governments, airport authorities across the country, and industry partners, the Conservative Party will both introduce & actively promote a new framework for increased domestic & foreign airline competition in Canada, including experimentation with cabotage on a trial basis on select routes.
========

Not sure how allowing American airlines to go point to point within Canada will be good for any airline employees here....

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

tsgas wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:24 pm

I'll give you the floor, what would have o'toole do to help us? He's outright said he'll open up cabotage, and we'd likely not even have cews. I know you have some weird obsession with our PM but I look at everyone objectively.

throwaway123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwaway123 »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:49 pm

I'll give you the floor, what would have o'toole do to help us? He's outright said he'll open up cabotage, and we'd likely not even have cews. I know you have some weird obsession with our PM but I look at everyone objectively.
Just because someone thinks Trudeau is a terrible leader, doesn't mean they're a Conservative.

I've voted Liberal since I could vote, and if Trudeau is the leader of the Liberals in the next election I won't.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

throwaway123 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:02 pm

Just because someone thinks Trudeau is a terrible leader, doesn't mean they're a Conservative.

I've voted Liberal since I could vote, and if Trudeau is the leader of the Liberals in the next election I won't.
And I’m a conservative voter who is unsure what to think about O’Toole, however at this point I would rather the Devil I don’t know versus the Devil we’ve endured for the last while.
I wish I had a good alternative to be honest, if Trudeau wasn’t such a blatantly crooked shyster I might have considered voting liberal but he needs to go!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
throwaway123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwaway123 »

Unless the Liberals change leadership I'm with you. I hate voting to "remove" someone but what other choice do we have?

Ideall a CPC minority government would be best IMO. Keep everyone honest.

Still waiting for that referendum on prop representation which would result in more coalition governments. Good for all.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

throwaway123 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:02 pm

I see what your saying but he praised trumps financial "success" in the past, is the peoples party still a thing here?

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Freeport_Flyer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:17 pm Honestly! It’s almost impossible to keep an AvCanada topic on course...
I don’t see it.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

throwaway123 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm Unless the Liberals change leadership I'm with you. I hate voting to "remove" someone but what other choice do we have?

Ideall a CPC minority government would be best IMO. Keep everyone honest.

Still waiting for that referendum on prop representation which would result in more coalition governments. Good for all.
I hoped for a conservative minority with the main opposition being NDP for the Ontario provincial election.

I forgot to look for competent leaders in both of those elected parties.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

goldeneagle wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:21 am Try looking at the platform from the last election.

https://cpcassets.conservative.ca/wp-co ... 4e7480.pdf

From that document
========
52. Increasing Airline Choice for CanadiansIn close partnership with provincial/territorial governments, airport authorities across the country, and industry partners, the Conservative Party will both introduce & actively promote a new framework for increased domestic & foreign airline competition in Canada, including experimentation with cabotage on a trial basis on select routes.
========

Not sure how allowing American airlines to go point to point within Canada will be good for any airline employees here....
I don't have a problem with that. If we are allowed to compete head to head with foreign airlines (IE: they can fly in our country if we can fly in theirs) then bring it on. With the Canadian Pesos, we'll be a difficult force to compete with.

Have you looked at the polices already enacted by the Liberals? Have you listed to what they want to do with the "Great Reset"? That's not the country I grew up in and it's not one in which I wish to live. Do you think they'll listen to my concerns or just label me with names to shut me up and dismiss my views without examining them to see if there is merit to my concerns? I know the answer to that last one... and it's not a positive answer.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!

Return to “WestJet”