Saretsky's legacy

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Triwing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Saretsky's legacy

Post by Triwing »

Saretsky's legacy is going to be that he was a great numbers guy who brought a few years of record profits but ultimately destroyed the culture and brought in unions. Him and Ferio just can't keep themselves from choking the goose that lays the golden eggs
---------- ADS -----------

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Saretsky's legacy

Post by Johnny#5 »

Last edited by Johnny#5 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

I suspect history will show that the change in the "WestJet Culture" was simply caused by the never ending expansion, the large increase in employees and of course the dreaded "me want generation". :D

Red1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Red1 »

I think longtimer is right. This is a lot bigger than GS. It's a big company that's just turned 18. like any 18 year old its going through a few changes.

The force will be with you, always
TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Bringing in a union is not going to drastically change the culture at WJ. That's just fear mongering.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

it will defiantly change the culture if the one list goes away! who knows

Triwing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Triwing »

The culture change has already taken place, the current Union drives are a response to that. When I started 8 years ago the trust was such that almost no one in this company felt certification was needed to protect their interests. It wasn't even a subject of conversation

Triwing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Triwing »

Longtimer wrote:I suspect history will show that the change in the "WestJet Culture" was simply caused by the never ending expansion, the large increase in employees and of course the dreaded "me want generation". :D
No offence intended and all due respect to you Longtimer. I know that it probably wasn't your decisions that made it happen but take a look at the national debt your generation has left and continues to rack up for your kids and grandkids to pay and tell us again who the dreaded "me want generation" is..

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Longtimer wrote:I suspect history will show that the change in the "WestJet Culture" was simply caused by the never ending expansion, the large increase in employees and of course the dreaded "me want generation". :D
Statistics prove otherwise, the "me want generation", Mellennials I assume you're referring to, have the lowest union membership levels of any generation in North America since WW2. Generation X'ers are the next lowest.

However, I agree that the union push is likely due to the expansion and the addition of multiple aircraft types, a feeder carrier, and bases. At a certain size unions become a near requirement, especially given the complexity of pilot agreements. It's worth noting that it was the executives direction to add these complexities, not the pilots.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

glad you said it...
the older generation so easily blame the young.
Not to mention the cost of living these days...
Triwing wrote:
No offence intended and all due respect to you Longtimer. I know that it probably wasn't your decisions that made it happen but take a look at the national debt your generation has left and continues to rack up for your kids and grandkids to pay and tell us again who the dreaded "me want generation" is..

WhatThe?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WhatThe? »

Carentee

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (137.43 KiB) Viewed 8098 times
RustyDeuce
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RustyDeuce »

Triwing wrote:The culture change has already taken place, the current Union drives are a response to that. When I started 8 years ago the trust was such that almost no one in this company felt certification was needed to protect their interests. It wasn't even a subject of conversation
The culture change you speak of is the result of an aging workforce. One that feels more and more entitled. I've watched the Flight Attendants get away with everything because the company was too scared to take a hard stance on things. That pisses people off, especially when it happens time and time again. Every single person in this company knows that. Every. Single. One.

The union drives are the result of trust or more specifically lack of trust. That's disappointing. I feel like Ferio moving to Encore had a larger negative impact on culture than most are willing to admit. I'll reserve comment for his (now departing) replacement. The fact half of the EVP's have turned over in the last year concerns me. No structure or long term vision. Gregg's taken the blunt of the criticism because he's had to step in to be "the guy" - to replace those that have left.

I think the pilots will be fine - union or not. The FA's, on the other hand, concern me. They lack vision or direction. They lack structure and professionalism.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

pacman007 wrote:it will defiantly change the culture if the one list goes away! who knows
There are few guarantees in life. I think this is one of them. As much as the WJPA keeps telling me that we'll get booted off of the one list, I don't think it'll happen. Ever.

Before you write me off as crazy, hear me out.

The WPPA guys want to stop at nothing short of Encore being rolled into WS. No separate company & OC. Their feeling is that if it's ok for the wide body guys, it should be fine for Encore too. One list with different pay scales, but ultimately one company.

Now what do you think would happen to recruiting at Encore if the one list disappeared? It would drop right back down to 1-2 resumes per week. That is what we were getting prior to one list and direct entry captains. We no longer do DEC's. That makes One list pretty much the key thing driving people to apply at Encore. Take it away and see what happens when people are told they'll be working 18-20 days for $36K/year.

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

You can bet on one thing. Nobody ever wins in arbitration. Cuz that's where things like this end up. Been there. Done that.
Btw your glorified math of 1 or 2 resumes a week wouldn't have filled the ground schools of 10 and 12 pilots every month and sometimes every 3 weeks. Lol

mikeecho
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mikeecho »

Triwing wrote:Saretsky's legacy is going to be that he was a great numbers guy who brought a few years of record profits but ultimately destroyed the culture and brought in unions. Him and Ferio just can't keep themselves from choking the goose that lays the golden eggs
Gregg is the face of the company, but he executes the mandate given to him by the BOD. Don't kid yourself... Clive still wears the hat of the good guy, but his hands have been on every major decision WS has made.

johnkruk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by johnkruk »

His job is to push things as much as possible to raise the stock price as much as possible , what does he care , worse comes to worse , a union gets in the execs get to blame him , fire him and he gets a 10 mill handshake , would you really care if that's what waited for you if you &(":ed your job up ?

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

Squid wrote:You can bet on one thing. Nobody ever wins in arbitration. Cuz that's where things like this end up. Been there. Done that.
Btw your glorified math of 1 or 2 resumes a week wouldn't have filled the ground schools of 10 and 12 pilots every month and sometimes every 3 weeks. Lol

Hey Squid. His glorified math was probably not very far off not too long ago. WJ was getting very close to having to park the 400s because they had problems filling the pilot seats due to lack of interest.

Yycaviator
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Yycaviator »

BE20 Driver wrote:
pacman007 wrote:
The WPPA guys want to stop at nothing short of Encore being rolled into WS. No separate company & OC. Their feeling is that if it's ok for the wide body guys, it should be fine for Encore too. One list with different pay scales, but ultimately one company.

How do you feel about this now given the news?

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

What news is this? the WJPA's fear mongering email?

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Curious too as for what this news is?

Return to “WestJet”