Encore pilots…..5 yr deal?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Encore pilots…..5 yr deal?

Post by Art Garfunkel »

Anyone care to share some highlights??

"ratified agreement" ?
"93 percent of eligible pilots voted" ?
What was the yes percentage?
I didn't think any of the pilots at Westjet/Encore were part of a certified union?

Art

Transmitted by CNW Group on : December 20, 2015 20:00

WestJet Encore pilots approve five-year agreement
CALGARY, Dec. 20, 2015 /CNW/ - WestJet Encore announced today its pilots have voted in favour of a new agreement with 93 per cent of eligible pilots voting.

The tentative agreement was negotiated between WestJet Encore and the WestJet Pilots' Association (WJPA), the association representing its pilots. Voting on the agreement began on December 12, 2015 and ended December 20, 2015.

Nearly 275 WestJet Encore pilots are represented by the WJPA, a subgroup of WestJet's Proactive Communication Team (PACT), the wholly-elected employee association representing WestJet's more than 11,000 employees. This is the first ratified agreement between WestJet and its Encore pilots.

"We are pleased to reach a successful conclusion to this interest-focused negotiation process," said Ferio Pugliese, President, WestJet Encore. "The agreement reflects the diligent efforts of our teams and I thank WJPA, the WestJet Encore negotiating team and the Encore leadership team for their work on this agreement and genuine commitment to our business and our people."

The new agreement begins January 1, 2016 and expires on December 31, 2020.

About WestJet

We are proud to be Canada's highest-rated airline for customer service, powered by an award-winning culture of care and recognized as one of the country's top employers. We offer scheduled service to 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe. Through our regional airline, WestJet Encore, and with partnerships with airlines representing every major region of the world, we offer our guests more than 150 destinations in more than 20 countries. Leveraging WestJet's extensive network, flight schedule and remarkable guest experience, WestJet Vacations delivers affordable, flexible travel experiences with a variety of accommodation options for every guest. Members of our WestJet Rewards program earn WestJet dollars on flights, vacation packages and more. Our members use WestJet dollars towards the purchase of WestJet flights and vacations packages on any day, at any time, to any WestJet destination with no blackout periods  ̶ even on seat sales. For more information about everything WestJet, please visit westjet.com.

Recent recognition includes:
2015/2011/2008-2005 Canada's 10 Most-Admired Corporate Cultures (Waterstone Human Capital)
2015/2014/2013/2012 Canada's Most Attractive Employer (Randstad)
2015/2014/2013/2012 Top three brands in Canada (Canadian Business magazine)
2015 Best Employers in Canada (Aon Hewitt)
2015/2014/2013 WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard ranked #1 in Canada (MoneySense magazine)
2015/2014/2013 WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard ranked #1 in the Canada's Choice ranking (RewardsCanada.ca)
2014 Interbrand Canada's Best Canadian Brands (rank #20)
2014 Brands of the Year (Strategy magazine)
2014 Canada's Most Preferred Airline (Ipsos)
2014 Value Airline of the Year (Air Transport World magazine)
2014/2013/2012/2011 Highest equity score: airline, vacation package supplier brands (Harris/Decima EquiTrend Study)

Connect with WestJet on Facebook at facebook.com/westjet
Follow WestJet on Twitter at twitter.com/westjet
Subscribe to WestJet on YouTube at youtube.com/westjet
Read the WestJet blog at blog.westjet.com

SOURCE WestJet
---------- ADS -----------

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Encore pilots…..5 yr deal?

Post by loopa »

Based on speaking with a few friends there, it sounds like promising changes. Improvement to min guarantee for flow, commuting rules, there's a minimum guarantee for credit, priority in who gets called for extra flights (I believe people who want to do OT get it before reserve), max days worked has come down and continues in the next year.

It's definitely a step in the right direction which provides a steady path for people going there. At least now you know what to expect where before it was kind of up in the air. Personally I think the big one is the improvement to the min flow guarantee in that it's in an official agreement now as opposed to managements discretion before. I think the big gamble for an Encore prospect is whether WJ will expand with the wide body or if it stays rather stagnant. Because you could offer as much as 100% flow, and if it means relying on 40-50 people / yr to retire, that's a 6 year wait minimum for anyone joining today. The average age at WJ is in the mid 40's today. That's a long time to wait if no expansion happens. If it expands I think everyone and their dog will jump on the encore bandwagon as I can't imagine wait times to flow over will be that long. Time will tell. But this agreement is definitely a good thing for Encore.

Congrats guys, hope to see more good news like this! 8)

Mooseontheloose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooseontheloose »

Last edited by Mooseontheloose on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I don't believe there were any real improvements to pay. I honestly forget what Encore used to pay versus now to make the comparison.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

loopa wrote:Personally I think the big one is the improvement to the min flow guarantee in that it's in an official agreement now as opposed to managements discretion before.
With all due respect to you Loopa, I sincerely hope that your second hand information is fragmented or incorrect. If the best thing that can be said about a new labour agreement is that it provides a better opportunity to go work somewhere else, then there is something very wrong with this picture. With the economy the way it is, the "flow" may just be pretty dam slow.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

^^^ got it about right...

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

I am just intrigued by the style in which the press release was written. Westjet makes it sound like a set in stone contract with a certified union… (which it isn't)

I wonder if Westjet is planning to spin-off little Encore and one of the conditions is stablized labour? (Which it is far from)

Still interested in the "yes" percentage on the vote.

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wirez »

It was 75% in favor.

dirk82
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirk82 »

Anyone care to share the specifics on this lil gem?

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

rxl wrote:
loopa wrote:Personally I think the big one is the improvement to the min flow guarantee in that it's in an official agreement now as opposed to managements discretion before.
With all due respect to you Loopa, I sincerely hope that your second hand information is fragmented or incorrect. If the best thing that can be said about a new labour agreement is that it provides a better opportunity to go work somewhere else, then there is something very wrong with this picture. With the economy the way it is, the "flow" may just be pretty dam slow.
In actuality you're very right rxl. However I think one of the the only major pull's at any regional these days, Encore included, is the opportunity to flow. So an agreement confirming minimum flow improvement is better as opposed to what was offered before. Remember the latter was a scenario where flow could be taken out all together due to no official agreement. Surely it doesn't do much for the company in itself besides acting as a stepping stone for WJ. And I think the majority on property already know that Encore isn't a position they plan on entertaining long term, because there comes a point where the carrot is too far away for today's sacrifice. A constant vibe I get from people interviewing there today as opposed to when I interviewed is if it turns out being a long wait, they will take their 705 time and head on elsewhere. And I think WJ management knows they have to fix this if they plan on maintaining longevity at Encore. I think one of the biggest hurdles that WJ/Encore need to sort out to establish a career company at Encore is the integrity in that they make it sound like they are in it together, but the face value of the matter doesn't suggest this at all. 5th year 737 F/O will easily break 100k at WJ with all incentives included, 5th year F/O at Encore doesn't even scratch much in the 50's; however, your ESP goes past 10%....

Some of the items in this agreement that setup a good foundation towards a career company however are things like their commuting program, getting called for OT over reserve, and the max days worked. Hopefully those improve over time in liaison with increase in financial incentives where one can make a comfortable career at Encore if they so wish to do so. Let's not forget that it's a young company with tons of growing pains ahead.

So I'll stick to my belief that what they have right now is better than what they had before. In the grand scheme however, none of this is by any stretch considered amazing. But obviously the conditions are compelling enough to attract a stream of applicants willing to play the lottery. Their pool is pretty big, and the interviews are nothing short of consistent.

IKEA_Monkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IKEA_Monkey »

loopa wrote: I think the majority on property already know that Encore isn't a position they plan on entertaining long term, because there comes a point where the carrot is too far away for today's sacrifice. A constant vibe I get from people interviewing there today as opposed to when I interviewed is if it turns out being a long wait, they will take their 705 time and head on elsewhere.
I certainly hope WJ is aware of that. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), an Encore pilot does not carry their YOS over to mainline when they make the switch. So while WJ may tout the guaranteed flow, it'll take a new hire today years to get there and when they do they can expect another pay-cut. I'm curious to know the average TT of current new hires. Is Encore still looking for quick upgrades or have they lowered the bar to allow for more long standing FO's? The former probably won't stick around for long at the current pay scale and wait time for mainline. The latter group would last longer but by the time they're called up they'll have larger expectations. Imagine starting as a lower time FO at Encore ...spending 6-8 (years making what they make), before going mainline? And then another pay-cut to greet you as you come onboard?

It would be nice if someone in the know could flesh out this new agreement. Was there anything concerning their ESP? I love how Encore pilots are supposed to "care" just as much as mainline folks yet they get half the ESP. Wouldn't logic dictate that they care half as much? "It's a new airline, growing pains, yadda yadda..." I get that but was this even a factor at all? If I were qualifying my (perhaps many) years of service at Encore I'd be gunning for equal ESP.

My friends there say that things are steadily improving, and to their credit I agree. But I also see plenty of warning signs that if left untreated could result in some turbulence ahead.
loopa wrote:But obviously the conditions are compelling enough to attract a stream of applicants willing to play the lottery. Their pool is pretty big, and the interviews are nothing short of consistent.
I think Encore is temporarily benefiting from the sudden downturn in Alberta. The plummeting of oil prices and resulting layoffs of high time pilots no doubt makes up for a serious portion of their applicants. It will be interesting to see in 2017 and beyond what will happen to their roster once AC starts hiring like crazy. AC may have their own flow through agreements but why wouldn't they take from the competition?

Anyway, that's just how I see things after a few glasses of cab-sav. Merry Christmas!

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Was there any doubt this "contract" would pass?

Being an Encore pilot is like an extended probation period till you get on at mainline.

Any screw-ups or perceived non-westjettiness means you miss out on the jet!

No Quarter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Quarter »

Disneyland on the outside, North Korea on the inside.

Yycaviator
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Yycaviator »

Some people have to give their head a shake here and look at the picture beyond their self portrait. Yes we all want 100 flow. It isn't going to happen right away and as a Encore pilot, I don't want it to. I don't want my company losing 100 pilots per year when we only have ~300 and relatively low experience levels coming in on the FO side.

In 2015 we added 10 tails to the company all while maintaining DOUBLE the flow the company was committed to.

I am hoping WestJet will be my retirement company so I want smart business decisions to be made around here. I don't think anyone here could argue that 100% flow could have worked in 2015, or in the year or two to come with the fleet still expanding rapidly.

Encore is in my opinion the best regional to be waiting around to flow. Not many sit in the right seat more than a year (ask someone at Jazz how long they sit right seat). 80-100k a year isn't bad cash to be making for 3-5 years while you wait for your chance to fly the frozen plane.

Raptor256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Raptor256 »

You guys agreed to a 6.25% pay decrease. That brings starting captain salary at that airline to just over $63,000/year. And you're behind Jazz, Porter, etc in every working condition metric. That's a lot to give up on the hopes of going to WestJet in 6 years...maybe. New equipment and theme planes don't pay the bills. I think some soul searching needs to happen over there so the same mistakes aren't made in 5 years.

Raptor256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Raptor256 »

And the company basically bribed you with 60 hours of extra pay before Christmas should the vote come out on the YES side? Was this a thoughtful vote of well informed pilots or desperate people that just needed the money for the holidays?

Yycaviator
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Yycaviator »

How do you figure we voted for a pay decrease?

We had a 70 hour guarantee and now we have a 75.

There was a temporary 80 hour guarantee in place as the schedules were not up to full efficiency. The average monthly block is now in the 75 hour range. With change to stat pay, deadhead pay and open shift calling order, we stand to come out further a head.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Was there a 6.25% decrease in hourly pay or not?
If the guarantee went to 75 from 70, that's great but all that means is the company has incentive to block you higher at, apparently a lower rate and somehow you're justifying this as coming out ahead, wow just, wow! You could have been further ahead at 70 hours and overtime to 75 and maybe tried for, oh you know, a raise!
How did they sell this, at 2 years old you're not competitive enough with Jazz et al?

duramaxguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by duramaxguy »

Not sure if ..com details are up to date with jazz but if so (and I could be wrong) the new agreement would put encore above jazz's hourly credit pay by a couple bucks an hour for both left and right seat for people hired after Jan 30, 2015 at Jazz. Not to mention getting paid for deadheads and stats ON TOP of your guaranteed block. And overtime kicking in sooner. And 80 hour min credit till end of 2016 before hitting 75. And top up bonus. And commuting policy. And less reserve. And...and...and....

Might not be astronomically better but a good step ahead none the less

Raptor256
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Raptor256 »

Encore has been blocking you guys at 80 hours since day 1. And all the pay info that was given to prospective hires was based on 80 hours. Now that's 75 hours. You will not come out ahead. You accepted a block 5 hours less per month then what Encore has been blocking all along. If you don't see that as a reduction in pay, then I don't know what to say. You're fooling yourself. You were a long way from your peers to start with, and that gulf is now even wider. The fact that the company has been able to make you feel good about this, and slide you a little cash to get what it wants, is unfortunate.

Return to “WestJet”