WJ B-767 Fleet questions

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: WJ B-767 Fleet questions

Post by complexintentions »

The B777/B787 is a common type rating, not even a full course required to transition. Not that any B737 pilot would struggle with the B767 either.

But I think the original question and discussion was about the type of operation, not the type of aircraft.
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

B777 to B787 CCQ is about 3 weeks where I work. 3 days of CBT, 3 FB, 2 full flight, a PPC and 2 sectors of which one is a line check, followed by 6 months consolidation on the 787 and then a B777 PPC and then Crew Sked gets to shag us even harder! :)

Qdrivermann
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Qdrivermann »

JTrain wrote:WS also had some contract instructors (I want to say from Boeing) who flew with our pilots in the first few months of 767 operations, to help ensure a quick learning curve for the initial cadre. That is fairly standard ops in the airline world, whenever a completely new type is introduced, factory instructors will follow. It is all a part of the purchase price, that includes support in all facets of the operation. I strongly suspect when Norwegian introduced the B787, there were Boeing pilots helping out for the first couple of months. Ask around, and hopefully you can report back to us.

JT
Great posting. I couldn't agree more - I've seen this on more than one occasion. Bombardier sent production instructor pilots together with FlightSafety instructors to train way back in the Q400 days; Embraer sent contract instructor pilots to do groundschool/simulator/line-indoc at the company where my best mate works and yes, we had the 'Big-Three' from the US do our initial groundschool and training on the B787. We even had four TREs from AeroLogic for our initial line-indoc. So, yes, quite a common practice. This was the answer I was looking for in my initial posting - not some insecure retort about trucking... I figured there had to have been some experience brought-in for the initial group. Do you guys think WJ will bring in some externals when they start getting their B787s? :) I wouldn't mind working back home - even for a short while!!

Radcap55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Radcap55 »

I would think not, there is plenty of expertise already inhouse. And we had the FANS system installed. Quit making is sound like WestJet has no experience, we have a 12 year history of flying ETOPS in the North Pacific, as well as the Atlantic and WATRS. The 767 operation is headed up by an extrordanary line up of personnel and the 787 will be in great hands.

Return to “WestJet”