Encore ALPA vote??

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Encore ALPA vote??

Post by flyinhigh »

Alcoholism wrote:
The year is soon 2018. And with the new ULCC soon to launch, pilots everywhere will climb over their dead kin to fly a worn out high density 737-600 for LS 70k RS 50k. Because, afterall, it's a friken jet!!! How cool is that! "If I drink more of this kool aid, it'll advance my career in an unknown way... because cool it's a jet!!!" "I don't care about aviation in Canada, I don't care about the guy sitting next to me, because it's a friken jet!!!"
This on top of a post under the Encore card drive topic. Wow you must be a pleasure to sit beside in a aircraft.

I am curious though, you mention 70 and 50K. Are you one of those management types that you bashed in the other thread to already have the pay structure?

Yes, I get the sarcasm.
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I think what he/she is getting at is there would be no shortage of pilots willing to fly a jet for even lower pay, because it is a jet.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I kinda wonder where all of these magical 737 captains are going to come from? I get the sense that most people with decent time are already sitting in a comfortable seat - with a career progression via PML or 'flow' to a 737 or bigger. Why would any of them move? What's the upside? Better WAWCON?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

lostaviator wrote:
skybaron wrote:
atphat wrote:There is a problem with Encore WAWCON? You would never know that talking to any Encore pilot. Things are perfect there from what I understand.

Makes sense then that Encores most experienced pilots decide to quickly move over to the 737 for less than half their salary. I also understand that their CP and others have secured their mainline spot, but still work at Encore (without a paycut).

If all this is true, then it just highlights the desperate need for a unified voice.
Curious where you got your numbers/what your math skills are like.

Encore captain = 68,000 / yr
WJ FO = 55,000 / yr

Encore = 218 days of work per year.
WestJet = 182 days of work per year.

Encore = $311 / day.
WestJet $302 / day.

If you want to factor in the ESP, I take home more money as an FO on at WJ then I ever did left seat at encore.

It's never ideal to take a pay cut, but its not like wj is the only airline in North America it happens at.

Sad but true.

Decent companies out there are seeing the writing on the wall, and are attempting to retain their professionals with increases in WAWCON. PASCO, for one, has made some of these positive WAWCON changes, and we hope to see this spread. (PASCO - Six figure $$ CPT salary plus confirmed commuting - is a good start for positive changes for our people in the 704 side)

What are the 705 (Especially WJ and AC) operations doing? They're still trying to sell you that the year is 2001...

Return to “WestJet”