Swoop Blacklist

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WJ200
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Swoop Blacklist

Post by WJ200 »

Boney wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:04 pm So, if pilot "A" heeds ALPA's request and not apply to Swoop, and pilot "B" applies and is hired, what will ALPA say to pilot A, a year or so when an agreement is put in place and all is forgiven, even accepting those that are already on Swoop's property?

There's the rub.
No rub. The pilot would not be a member in good standing. Therefore they wouldn't be able to use the resources available as an alpa member. This is also the issue with Swoop certifying right away. No franchise union would accept them. All will not be forgiven therefore.
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

All is always forgiven eventually except for a few bitter souls that hang on.

It's a legitimate point. Eventually something will get settled with Westjet and ALPA on the swoop issue and any pilots on Swoop property at the time will be part of that solution.

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

There have been a lot of interest and applications at Swoop, even with ALPA's black list. Many think that since there is no contract, as yet, with WJA, Swoop will end up in contract talks, and ALPA in their desire to get a CBA, which ALPA needs badly, aka dues, they will lift this black list. Better to join now and get the left seat sooner rather than later.

Encore got their conditions improved after they started. The same will happen at Swoop when they prove themselves.

ALPA could have been up front at the table, with our own pilots, but choose to fight vs collaborate. I know, I know, salaries are below the current pay scale for WJA NG. The target pilots would have been junior F/O's and Encore Capt's whose current pay is below the starting pay at Swoop. Now, with pilots off the street, our own F/O's and Encore capt's may have lost out on an upgrade, and not accruing Capt's YOS. If we could get a one list with Swoop, like Encore, that YOS will follow back to mainline. Those that took up the 2 year LOA have at least ensured that.

Interesting times ahead.

saltypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by saltypilot »

Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 am There have been a lot of interest and applications at Swoop, even with ALPA's black list. Many think that since there is no contract, as yet, with WJA, Swoop will end up in contract talks, and ALPA in their desire to get a CBA, which ALPA needs badly, aka dues, they will lift this black list. Better to join now and get the left seat sooner rather than later.

Encore got their conditions improved after they started. The same will happen at Swoop when they prove themselves.

ALPA could have been up front at the table, with our own pilots, but choose to fight vs collaborate. I know, I know, salaries are below the current pay scale for WJA NG. The target pilots would have been junior F/O's and Encore Capt's whose current pay is below the starting pay at Swoop. Now, with pilots off the street, our own F/O's and Encore capt's may have lost out on an upgrade, and not accruing Capt's YOS. If we could get a one list with Swoop, like Encore, that YOS will follow back to mainline. Those that took up the 2 year LOA have at least ensured that.

Interesting times ahead.
Boney, what position do you hold with Swoop? Second, If you’re so flush with applications at Woops then why does your post smell of desperation? “We have lots of interest and applications at Swoop”??? Then you go on and lock down all those outstanding new Woopsters. I find your strategy of “get in before all the juniors take your rightful spots” to be ignorant and self serving. Everyone involved in this should be ashamed of themselves. But who cares right. You’re taken care of so what odds about the rest right.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 am ......ALPA could have been up front at the table, with our own pilots, but choose to fight vs collaborate.
This is incorrect. You need to read ALPA's response to WestJet's ULP complaint.

WestJet twice approached ALPA regarding negotiations of Swoop. WestJet set one condition that ALPA must sign an agreement stating they forfeit all rights under Part 1 of the Canada Labour Code to begin negotiations. I.E., the right to submit a ULP complaint or common employee status request. With due reason, ALPA rejected this outlandish request. WestJet stayed firm and refused to negotiate Swoop with ALPA. The matter is now before the CIRB.

Please read WestJet's ULP, ALPA's response to WestJet's ULP, ALPA's ULP and ALPA's request for injunction before spouting this BS. This is all on the ALPA website. You're hurting your fellow pilots with your strong opinion based on a lack of factual knowledge.

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

saltypilot wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:30 am
Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 am There have been a lot of interest and applications at Swoop, even with ALPA's black list. Many think that since there is no contract, as yet, with WJA, Swoop will end up in contract talks, and ALPA in their desire to get a CBA, which ALPA needs badly, aka dues, they will lift this black list. Better to join now and get the left seat sooner rather than later.

Interesting times ahead.
Boney, what position do you hold with Swoop? Second, If you’re so flush with applications at Woops then why does your post smell of desperation? “We have lots of interest and applications at Swoop”??? Then you go on and lock down all those outstanding new Woopsters. I find your strategy of “get in before all the juniors take your rightful spots” to be ignorant and self serving. Everyone involved in this should be ashamed of themselves. But who cares right. You’re taken care of so what odds about the rest right.
I'm not with Swoop but my interest is more as both a Westjetter and stockholder.

Strategy. Buy when bullets fly. The Black list will be part of the upcoming negotiation and will end up lifted. Better get a good seat before the music stops.

No matter how much one screams at the top of their voice against corporate greed, they will do what's in the best interest of the corporation. I would say its shameful that ALPA choose to fight. Maybe they could have made positive changes before Swoop was rolled out. The WJPA did with Encore and with the bases. It may not have been acceptable to you, but what did roll out as well as after they rolled out did in fact improve on what was initially proposed. ALPA should be ashamed with themselves for not being at the table.

Like I said, interesting times ahead.

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

Transonic wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am
Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 am ......ALPA could have been up front at the table, with our own pilots, but choose to fight vs collaborate.

WestJet twice approached ALPA regarding negotiations of Swoop. WestJet set one condition that ALPA must sign an agreement stating they forfeit all rights under Part 1 of the Canada Labour Code to begin negotiations. I.E., the right to submit a ULP complaint or common employee status request. With due reason, ALPA rejected this outlandish request. WestJet stayed firm and refused to negotiate Swoop with ALPA. The matter is now before the CIRB.

Please read WestJet's ULP, ALPA's response to WestJet's ULP, ALPA's ULP and ALPA's request for injunction before spouting this BS. This is all on the ALPA website. You're hurting your fellow pilots with your strong opinion based on a lack of factual knowledge.
Not an ALPA member, like the ~20% of WJA pilots, therefore have no access to any information. Yes, I'm fully aware that I have no say, but that's my choice.

Cheers

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:59 am

Not an ALPA member, like the ~20% of WJA pilots, therefore have no access to any information. Yes, I'm fully aware that I have no say, but that's my choice.

Cheers
That does not absolve you of your responsibility to produce an opinion based on fact. You can contact your manager for the above mentioned ULP complaints and Injunction requests. I suspect they will be less than thrilled to provide them though. There are 4 documents in total that provide the legal arguements on both sides.

Checklist
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Checklist »

[/quote]

Cheers
[/quote]

20 percent... that doesn’t sound like a made up number at all...

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

Transonic wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Cheers
That does not absolve you of your responsibility to produce an opinion based on fact. You can contact your manager for the above mentioned ULP complaints and Injunction requests. I suspect they will be less than thrilled to provide them though. There are 4 documents in total that provide the legal arguements on both sides.
You are correct in that I'm making opinions on my own observations vs documents. Fact, Swoop have announced a new CEO, starting on Monday, and is still on schedule to start in June'18.

Cheers

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

Checklist wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Cheers
[/quote]

[/quote]

Can ALPA then provide the number of WJA pilots that haven't signed up. Also, how many of their members have withdrawn their ALPA membership.

I don't trust the current ALPA officers. Period

ps. I believe that my voice in ALPA would be discounted. By not signing on, I'm sending a message to ALPA international that the current ALPA executives are ............

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 am If we could get a one list with Swoop, like Encore, that YOS will follow back to mainline. Those that took up the 2 year LOA have at least ensured that.
That's one massive assumption in the GS era.

This is all about low costs. We don't have a YOS at WestJet unless your Captain 37 going captain 67.

There is no YOS from Encore to WestJet.

The thought of YOS from Swoop to WestJet is laughable.

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

RidersRule wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 pm
Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 am If we could get a one list with Swoop, like Encore, that YOS will follow back to mainline. Those that took up the 2 year LOA have at least ensured that.

This is all about low costs. We don't have a YOS at WestJet unless your Captain 37 going captain 67.

I can see where YOS was an incorrect acronym. DOH would be a better as that is what an Encore pilot carry over when he/she moves over to WJA. It is my hope that this policy can also include Swoop by also having the one list include them. Dare to dream.

Thanks for pointing this out .

Cheers

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Cheers
You are correct in that I'm making opinions on my own observations vs documents. Fact, Swoop have announced a new CEO, starting on Monday, and is still on schedule to start in June'18.

Cheers
Not a CEO, but an EVP and President of Swoop. What of Bob Cummings? He is now subordinate to his former role.

Solid legal documents from both sides is an excellent way to form the basis of an opinion. Anecdotal observations are less than desirable.

We've all have had our turning point.

Sincerely,
A proud westjetter.

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

There are also YOS accumulated after 9.5 years up to step 4 on the captain scale and should a pilot move from WJ to encore, they will continue to accrue YOS at WJ (though nobody has done this yet).

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

Transonic wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:48 pm
Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Cheers
Not a CEO, but an EVP and President of Swoop. What of Bob Cummings? He is now subordinate to his former role.

Solid legal documents from both sides is an excellent way to form the basis of an opinion. Anecdotal observations are less than desirable.

We've all have had our turning point.

Sincerely,
A proud westjetter.
Thanks.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

Smitty wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 pm

There are also YOS accumulated after 9.5 years up to step 4 on the captain scale and should a pilot move from WJ to encore, they will continue to accrue YOS at WJ (though nobody has done this yet).

If it takes a decade to accumulate one year it's not worth mentioning.

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

Hey Boney,
You sound a lot like NCP aka JS.
I get it, Swallow (the) Bone. It makes sense now.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

Smitty wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 pm

Oh yea the famous DOS aka decades of service. The milestone that very few if any F/Os actually reach so it is more symbolic than real.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

Boney wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 pm
Checklist wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Cheers
[/quote]

Can ALPA then provide the number of WJA pilots that haven't signed up. Also, how many of their members have withdrawn their ALPA membership.

I don't trust the current ALPA officers. Period

ps. I believe that my voice in ALPA would be discounted. By not signing on, I'm sending a message to ALPA international that the current ALPA executives are ............
[/quote]

Making up numbers to bolster your anti-ALPA rant may be fun but not really very productive or helpful. Also choosing not to educate yourself using the information publicly available is being willfully ignorant and there really is no excuse for that.

I think you may be surprised by the ALPA membership numbers. My information is that it is in the very high ninety percent range in both YVR and YYZ and in the low nineties in YYC, overall it would be in the mid-nineties. That is a far cry from your incorrect 20% number.

As for those who have rescinded their membership, I would venture that the number is less than 5 individuals possibly even less than 2.

Return to “WestJet”