Hiring off the street any time soon?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hiring off the street any time soon?

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

Good day,

Just wondering if WJ will be hiring off the street anytime soon?

RP
---------- ADS -----------

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Hiring off the street any time soon?

Post by DropTanks »

I'm sure DaveP will chime in here as he usually does but I can tell you there's no plan for mainline hiring until and I quote "the second half of 2018". That being said I believe IMHO that by then Encore will have grown the fleet to full size 45 aircraft and their hiring might be stabilized enough to offer 100% flow or very near it. That part is just my opinion.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

well if you are talking about Swoop.. then I'm sure the OTS posting is coming ..

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

No pay info.
Jeez, I wonder why.
The spiral down continues.

duramaxguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by duramaxguy »

Edited. Not worth starting online debate. Already lost enough hair as it is.

Last edited by duramaxguy on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Just a stubborn, ignorant executive group.

Why would you say that? Since when do pilots run companies or decide business strategy. Come to think of it, what do you know about running airlines?

GAF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAF »

Hey NCP. I guess you won't have to worry about paying all that tax on that huge gross income you're making, due to a lot of OT. Just take a look at Jetstar and what happened to Qantas. All that juicy OT will be long gone. That Swoop skipper will soon be doing it for you. That way you'll have more time for whatever invention you're working on.

duramaxguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by duramaxguy »

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

3down&loct wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 pm No pay info.
Jeez, I wonder why.
The spiral down continues.
Pay scales are on the updated postings now

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Captain Hourly Rates
Step 1 - $103.57
Step 2 - $119.50
Step 3 - $131.46
I'm curious what "Step" means?

jetspeed10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jetspeed10 »

GAF wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:14 pm Hey NCP. I guess you won't have to worry about paying all that tax on that huge gross income you're making, due to a lot of OT. Just take a look at Jetstar and what happened to Qantas. All that juicy OT will be long gone. That Swoop skipper will soon be doing it for you. That way you'll have more time for whatever invention you're working on.
It all goes to his ex and AA group.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

98 Corolla wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:45 pm
Captain Hourly Rates
Step 1 - $103.57
Step 2 - $119.50
Step 3 - $131.46
I'm curious what "Step" means?
Year 1, year 2, year 3 .

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

GAF wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:14 pm Hey NCP. I guess you won't have to worry about paying all that tax on that huge gross income you're making, due to a lot of OT. Just take a look at Jetstar and what happened to Qantas. All that juicy OT will be long gone. That Swoop skipper will soon be doing it for you. That way you'll have more time for whatever invention you're working on.
Hi GAF. A couple of points:

1) Any SWOOP flying that impacts the bargaining rights of WJ pilots will invite an instant common employer challenge by ALPA. Everyone knows this. Therefore, WJ's lawyers will be giving excellent advice to WJ on how close to the line they can skate.

2) I'm senior. For as long as I'm at WJ, I'll make out like a bandit regardless of what ALPA or WJ does.

3) Life is short. Enjoy what you're doing. It'll all be gone soon enough.

Cheers,

The WingNut

GAF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAF »

Hey NCP, just a couple of other points.

Again, look at what happened to the "senior" Qantas guys. Not a very good deal for them. It doesn't appear WS is playing by the rules right now. Of course Swoop is a common employer. Same type ( actually WS planes) and same routes. If the maint guys aren't doing the work cheaper why should we, the pilots, do it cheaper?

Also, you keep taking about how senior you are. Well, I've got you beat. In my 19th year at WS. I remember flying with you when you were fighting with your ylw neighbour about a driveway. The difference between you and me is that I care about the guys/gals coming up through the ranks behind me. It's not all about me me me and the seniority system. I want them to have a prosperous career like I've been fortunate enough to enjoy. Also since you refuse to sign a card I guess it doesn't really matter what ALPA does because you will not benefit from any of it. Anyways, enjoy your career and taking all you can get.

4Stroke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 4Stroke »

The troll has been fed. Enough is enough. Lets ignore him.

Insulting and denigrating your ALPA sisters and brothers, and pissing on the help a flight crew requires after an emergency crossed a line.

I’m glad I’ll never share a flight deck with you.

Go away please.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Hey Dave or others in the loop. How does hiring off the street to mainline look for 2018? I know there's lots of guys with interviews at AC... Thanks.

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

737 initial class in May. 100% flow. Unfortunately that's all I know.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

GAF wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:05 pm Hey NCP, just a couple of other points.

Again, look at what happened to the "senior" Qantas guys. Not a very good deal for them. It doesn't appear WS is playing by the rules right now. Of course Swoop is a common employer. Same type ( actually WS planes) and same routes. If the maint guys aren't doing the work cheaper why should we, the pilots, do it cheaper?

Also, you keep taking about how senior you are. Well, I've got you beat. In my 19th year at WS. I remember flying with you when you were fighting with your ylw neighbour about a driveway. The difference between you and me is that I care about the guys/gals coming up through the ranks behind me. It's not all about me me me and the seniority system. I want them to have a prosperous career like I've been fortunate enough to enjoy. Also since you refuse to sign a card I guess it doesn't really matter what ALPA does because you will not benefit from any of it. Anyways, enjoy your career and taking all you can get.
These are the pilots at WestJet that I have immense respect for. The ones that have had it pretty good, (Quick upgrade. Top of the captain scale. Base of choice) or better then most, and are still trying to make things better.

Very unselfish unlike some people and very much appreciated from those of us behind you.

Cheers

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

Swoop now offering large retention bonuses on top of salary. Probably not large enough to keep people from bailing for AC or China though.

Return to “WestJet”