Swoop will have its own CTA licence

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Swoop will have its own CTA licence

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

In the past, all airlines had their own Canadian Transportation Agency licence, even when they flew for another airline. Jazz has one. So does Georgian and Skyregional.

That changed when Air Canada created Rouge. They applied to the CTA to allow Rouge to function piggy back on Air Canada's licence. Rouge does not have it's own CTA licence. Basically, any request Air Canada makes to the CTA, it makes it on behalf of both Air Canada and Rouge. So Rouge cannot exist on its own, it does not have it's own licence (although I doubt it would take long to apply for one).

When Westjet created Encore, they did the exact same thing. Encore does not have it's own CTA licence but rides piggy back on Westjets's. So Encore can have no life of its own until it gets its own licence.

As far as I know, these were the fist two instances of licenceless airlines in Canada.

Today I decided to check to see what Westjet planned for its latest creation, SWOOP Inc.

They are applying for a licence, but don't have it yet. So in the meantime, it will piggy back on Westjet's.

I don't know what it all means. That is above my pay scale. So I am just posting the information here, for what its' worth, hoping someone else will understand the implications. Why did they not do it like Encore and Rouge ? There must be a good reason.

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2018-a-20

January 31, 2018
APPLICATION by Swoop Inc. (applicant) for an exemption from the application of section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended (CTA).

Case number:
18-00216
18-00217
18-00218
BACKGROUND
The applicant has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for an exemption to permit it to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale a domestic service, large aircraft; a non-scheduled international service, large aircraft, between Canada and any other country; and a scheduled international service, large aircraft, between Canada and the United States of America, in the absence of a licence.

Section 59 of the CTA states that no person shall sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada an air service unless, if required under Part II of the CTA, a person holds a licence issued under that Part in respect of that service and that licence is not suspended.

The applicant has applied for a domestic licence, large aircraft; a non-scheduled international licence, large aircraft, to operate a service between Canada and any other country; and a scheduled international licence, large aircraft, to operate a service between Canada and the United States of America in accordance with the Air Transport Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America signed on March 12, 2007. However, as the application is not yet complete, the applicant has requested an exemption from the application of section 59 of the CTA.

The applicant indicates that it is in the process of obtaining a Canadian aviation document (CAD) from Transport Canada, which is required to complete the licence application. The applicant also indicates that it intends to commence commercial activities in Canada in June 2018.

The applicant states that the exemption from the application of section 59 will allow it to start commercializing the new services.
ANALYSIS
The Agency deals with applications for exemptions from the application of section 59 of the CTA on a case by case basis. The Agency recognizes that section 59 is a consumer protection measure. It is intended to prevent situations in which consumers in Canada pay for a service to an entity that does not hold an Agency licence and are left out of pocket or experience any manner of inconvenience or hardship that may result if that entity does not commence operations on schedule.

Accordingly, the Agency, prior to granting an exemption from the application of section 59 of the CTA, must be satisfied that the applicant is taking all the necessary steps to meet all licence issuance requirements and that the applicant has demonstrated a high probability of obtaining the required licence prior to the proposed start of operations.

A Canadian applicant for a domestic licence, large aircraft; a non-scheduled international licence, large aircraft; and a scheduled international licence, large aircraft, must establish that it:

is Canadian;
holds a CAD;
has the prescribed liability insurance coverage in respect of the services to be provided under the licence; and,
meets the prescribed financial requirements.
The Agency is satisfied that the applicant is Canadian.

The Agency is also satisfied that the applicant has the prescribed liability insurance coverage.

The Agency notes that the applicant expects that it will be issued a CAD in time for the proposed start-up date.

The Agency is satisfied that the applicant met the prescribed financial requirements.

Accordingly, the Agency is satisfied that there is a high probability that the licence will issue prior to the intended start-up date of June 2018.

In the present circumstances, considering the intent of section 59 of the CTA and the fact that the applicant is taking all the necessary steps to meet all licensing issuance requirements, the Agency finds that compliance by the applicant with section 59 of the CTA is unnecessary.

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 80(1)(c) of the CTA, exempts the applicant from the application of section 59 of the CTA, effective from the date of this Order, permitting it to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada, a domestic service, large aircraft; a non scheduled international service, large aircraft, between Canada and any other country; and a scheduled international service, large aircraft, between Canada and the United States of America, without holding the required licence, subject to the following conditions:

All advertising in any media, whether written, electronic or telecommunications, shall include a statement that the air services are subject to government approval, unless and until the section 59 exemption expires following the issuance of a licence. All prospective clients shall be made aware, before the signature of any charter contract, that the air services are subject to government approval;
The applicant shall file its tariffs with the Agency, as well as publish and apply them, before marketing its services;
This exemption does not relieve the applicant from the requirement to hold a licence in respect of the services to be provided and, accordingly, no flights shall be operated until the appropriate licence authority has been granted; and,
Should the licence not be issued or not issue by the time an air service sold to a client is to be used, the applicant shall arrange to provide alternative air transportation by an appropriately licensed air carrier, at no additional cost for its clients. If such arrangements are not possible or acceptable to its clients, the applicant shall arrange to provide a full refund of all monies paid by its clients.
This Order takes effect on January 29, 2018, the date on which it was communicated verbally to the applicant.

Member(s)
P. Paul Fitzgerald
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Swoop will have its own CTA licence

Deleted. Duplicate

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

RIP

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Yet another Swoop thread, yay!
I’ll take a stab at it, my guess is some lawyer told GS that if they have their own OC and don’t compete directly with WJ routes they wouldn’t be considered an affiliate, just an asset.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

From their job ad
$12,500 cash bonus payable to Captains on each of the 1st and 2nd anniversaries of date of hire
13% target Profit Share/STIP
10% ESPP, 100% company matched (WJA stock)
Annual uniform allowance
Travel privileges on WestJet Group network
Per Diem $2.50/hour x TAFB
If they want to be a separate company, they'll have to change their compensation package, namely the 100% company match stock to WJA. What company on earth compensates based on another "separate" companies stock/performance?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

mbav8r wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm Yet another Swoop thread, yay!
I’ll take a stab at it, my guess is some lawyer told GS that if they have their own OC and don’t compete directly with WJ routes they wouldn’t be considered an affiliate, just an asset.
Just for clarification : every airline must have its own distinct Operating Certificate (OC) that is delivered by Transport Canada. What this thread is about is the Airline Licence which every airline must receive from the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA), or at least until Rouge and Encore were recently granted waivers from that requirement and allowed to operated under the umbrella of the parent company's CTA licence.

Swoop will be a fully independent airline from Wesjet from the looks of it.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

SWOOP is already planning it's expansion, before it even starts! This is literally unreal...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... econd-half

WestJet Airlines Ltd.’s new ultra-low-cost carrier plans to expand to southern locations in the U.S. and Mexico in the second half after it launches with Canada service in June.

WestJet is counting on its Swoop brand to fend off a new breed of bargain carriers such as Flair Airlines while the fledgling carrier attempts to take market share from leisure operators Air Transat and Sunwing Airlines.

“In June, when we have all of the regulatory approvals, we will announce southern flying into the U.S. and Mexico, potentially the Caribbean as well,” Bob Cummings, WestJet’s executive vice president of strategy, said in an interview. “We will aggressively go after the cross-border opportunity, which is quite significant.”

Swoop on Thursday said it would begin service on June 20 from Hamilton, Ontario, to Abbotsford, British Columbia, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. By the end of July, it will add Edmonton, Alberta, and Winnipeg, Manitoba, to its network. One-way fares initially will range from C$39 to C$99 ($32 to $81), including fees and taxes.

Gregg Saretsky, the chief executive officer of Calgary-based WestJet, has said he expects Swoop to be profitable from the start.

The unit’s first southbound flights likely will depart from Ontario and British Columbia, Cummings said, where the company sees a market of about 15 million people for ultra-low-cost travel. He said flights to Mexico and the U.S. may begin before November, though he declined to elaborate.

“Part of the strategy of Swoop is for it to be complementary to WestJet,” Cummings said. “It made sense for us to start our network as largely Hamilton-based, with some Abbotsford. Over time, we will evolve and deploy into other markets.” The operation mostly will focus on secondary airports, such as Hamilton, which is about 80 kilometers (50 miles) from Toronto.

Swoop plans to fly a fleet of 10 Boeing Co. 737-800 jets outfitted with 189 seats by September 2019.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Then again, it was announced to the employees that OCC, MCC, Dispatch and Maintenance would be contracted to WestJet. Swoop is presently in "negotiations" regarding the contracting of WestJet Corporate Services. :roll:

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:43 pm
Just for clarification : every airline must have its own distinct Operating Certificate (OC) that is delivered by Transport Canada. What this thread is about is the Airline Licence which every airline must receive from the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA), or at least until Rouge and Encore were recently granted waivers from that requirement and allowed to operated under the umbrella of the parent company's CTA licence.

Swoop will be a fully independent airline from Wesjet from the looks of it.
Well, below is from your original post, wondering what it all means, with a question that I took a stab at
Gilles wrote
“I don't know what it all means. That is above my pay scale. So I am just posting the information here, for what its' worth, hoping someone else will understand the implications. Why did they not do it like Encore and Rouge ? There must be a good reason.“

Return to “WestJet”