Let's all apply at Swoop!

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Let's all apply at Swoop!

Post by altiplano »

AvifiskAlly wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:11 am
mbav8r wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 pm
lisascottme wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 am

Thanks -I will BTW I bet the hundreds of pilots at Jazz sleep fine at night knowing the lowered the bar when they took the RJ's from AC, maybe they woke up in a cold sweat when AGL did the same to them. I dont see the Encore guys all a twitter because they lowered the bar at the regionals
You’re supplying your own BS here, the RJs were ordered by Air Nova and taken away by the AC pilots agreeing to fly them for less, the fact they ended up returned to Regional was them coming back to the original owners.
Enjoy your Swoop job, I hope you get everything you deserve.

To be honest I think you just made his point even more so. So Air Canada undercut air nova who then undercut Air Canada and then got undercut by air Georgian. Sounds like Encore and Pacific coastal and swoop to WestJet
Air Canada pilots took the RJs because it was their flying.

Then they sold it / conceded it for other gains.
---------- ADS -----------

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

altiplano wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:23 pm
mbav8r wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 pm
You’re supplying your own BS here, the RJs were ordered by Air Nova and taken away by the AC pilots agreeing to fly them for less, the fact they ended up returned to Regional was them coming back to the original owners.
Enjoy your Swoop job, I hope you get everything you deserve.

To be honest I think you just made his point even more so. So Air Canada undercut air nova who then undercut Air Canada and then got undercut by air Georgian. Sounds like Encore and Pacific coastal and swoop to WestJet
[/quote

You mean the way the new ULCC flying belongs to swoop not westjet pilots

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Will Swoop find pilots ?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

AvifiskAlly wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:34 pm
altiplano wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:23 pm

You mean the way the new ULCC flying belongs to swoop not westjet pilots
No. I mean Swoop is Westjet flying and Westjet pilots own Westjet flying.
GS is just having a fit over the fact someone has the balls to stand up for themselves, that's why this is happening...

We'll see how the ruling comes down...

Then we'll see what happens to GS...

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

[/quote]

They are an odd group of people. They sh!t on the pilot Indusrty in 96 now they are crying to mommy so they don’t get sh!t on. They are trying to ensure their own company is not competitive. In my view simply pathetic

Pilots. Go to swoop. Have a great job flying nice equipment and let all the union ding dongs fight the good fight to protect themselves and their own interests. If someday there happens to be a decision that impacts your employment take your time experience and endorsement to Air Canada, Sunwing or any other great company in this country.
[/quote]

This is what has been wrong with the airlines.

Some sort of rule that in order for an airline to be competitive, the pilots must have concessionary compensation.

Funny how in the US legacy carriers like Delta are doing great while offering excellent compensation.

Funny how AC offers paid dead heads, min daily guarantees, groomers, pension, paid disability and are recording record profits.

So odd

talkingfireplace
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by talkingfireplace »

The amount of entitlement oozing from this thread is unreal.

Everytime a new airline comes up the pitchfork crowd starts crowing about lowering the bar, me me me, entitlement this, blah blah blah. Yet the beat goes on. Aside from being an entitled lot pilots as a whole provide a lot of entertainment. Hell I've lurked this forum for years and this is as entertaining as its been in a long time. I had to sign up.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

groundpilot wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:06 pm

They are an odd group of people. They sh!t on the pilot Indusrty in 96 now they are crying to mommy so they don’t get sh!t on. They are trying to ensure their own company is not competitive. In my view simply pathetic

Pilots. Go to swoop. Have a great job flying nice equipment and let all the union ding dongs fight the good fight to protect themselves and their own interests. If someday there happens to be a decision that impacts your employment take your time experience and endorsement to Air Canada, Sunwing or any other great company in this country.
[/quote]

This is what has been wrong with the airlines.

Some sort of rule that in order for an airline to be competitive, the pilots must have concessionary compensation.

Funny how in the US legacy carriers like Delta are doing great while offering excellent compensation.

Funny how AC offers paid dead heads, min daily guarantees, groomers, pension, paid disability and are recording record profits.

So odd
[/quote]

Not at all. Poorly worded on my part. I want pay to be as high as possible. My point it this union bs is just hurting everyone, let swoop be swoop. It is not WJ flying. If you like what they are offering go if you don’t don’t.

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

altiplano wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:20 pm I mean Swoop is Westjet flying and Westjet pilots own Westjet flying
altiplano, do you have any law to back up that statement? Or is that just your "feeling"? The "Westjet pilots" don't own anything. Period. They are employed by a company that owns (or contracts to a third party) all of the assets that are used by employees in the course of their employment.

Similarly, ALPA, who collectively represent the pilots of WestJet, doesn't own any of the assets in the employ of WestJet.

Now if you mean what I think you are trying to say, that ALPA will be successful at proving common employer in front of the CIRB, well, lol, I'll get the popcorn.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

I think what he means is;

10 737-800 AC are taken from WestJet, they then get new decals. They are still dispatched, maintained, and I guess we’d say VP’d by WestJet. They then fly on the exact same routes they flew before (with the westJet decals).
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
I presume you are holding off am becoming a Swooptser just in case you end up not being able to return to WestJet, or is it the crap money that is holding you back? You should head over, then you give us intel from the inside. Maybe the cheese trays there will have chocolate again.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

Rotten Apple #1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 am
altiplano wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:20 pm I mean Swoop is Westjet flying and Westjet pilots own Westjet flying
altiplano, do you have any law to back up that statement? Or is that just your "feeling"? The "Westjet pilots" don't own anything. Period. They are employed by a company that owns (or contracts to a third party) all of the assets that are used by employees in the course of their employment.

Similarly, ALPA, who collectively represent the pilots of WestJet, doesn't own any of the assets in the employ of WestJet.

Now if you mean what I think you are trying to say, that ALPA will be successful at proving common employer in front of the CIRB, well, lol, I'll get the popcorn.
I will say your username is bang on

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

It will be interesting to see how all this turns out.

As I understand it Swoop will have to have the proper licensing and government approvals to fly passengers.

And as I understand it the government does not set air fares or pilot wages.

I'm betting there will be no problem finding passengers or pilots.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Rotten Apple #1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 am
Your right ownership might be wrong. However if the WJ pilots have an agreement with WJ stating they have the sole right to specific work, ( it is my understanding they do) then that can only be altered one of two ways.

Through negotiations or Strike/lockout.

It can not be done unilaterally.

And before you start telling us how they dont have a “real” agreement as it was agreed to when they weren’t unionized. Save it. It doesn’t work that way. There are many types of contracts and the CIRB has made it clear a company can not unilaterally alter an agreement after unionization.

WJ actions are solely based on creating fear. Fear for other groups considering unionization. Fear for the pilots that their careers may be adversely impacted. Management wants that fear translated into cost savings.

It’s a burning platform strategy. If it works the WJ pilots will spend a decade correcting Swoops WAWCON before getting any benefit increases at WJ.

It’s just business

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:19 pm Anyone that goes to Swoop is a scab and hopefully will be treated like one by the rest of us. I know I’ll do my part.
This comment is why unions have a bad name. I trust you will reconsider your comment.

yyc757
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yyc757 »

The bad name belongs to anyone who dares take a job there knowing full well these are our airplanes. I had the qualifications, did the interview and was selected. I passed the ride, line indoctrination and have been a reliable, safe and very hard working person. Swoop airplanes are currently bring flown by me and I am awaiting an upgrade. 100s of my colleagues are in the same position.

Seriously for the handful of people that are considering swoop I ask you this: why not go for the left seat 777 at AC. That's how it works don't ya know!

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

With all due respect, they're WestJet's airplanes, and they are free to deploy them as they see best to maximize profit. I don't mean this unkindly, but your career progression doesn't begin to hold the same priority for the company as making money.

Does it suck? Yes. But talking about people "daring" to take a job available on the open market is just silly. I doubt there's only a handful considering it. Look at how Encore has had no problem crewing turboprops for less money.

Incidentally if Air Canada decided to open up a separate B777 operation I would most certainly have a look at applying, as that is a machine I have a few hours on. And that IS how it works. Jobs are advertised, people apply.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:00 am With all due respect, they're WestJet's airplanes, and they are free to deploy them as they see best to maximize profit. I don't mean this unkindly, but your career progression doesn't begin to hold the same priority for the company as making money.

Does it suck? Yes. But talking about people "daring" to take a job available on the open market is just silly. I doubt there's only a handful considering it. Look at how Encore has had no problem crewing turboprops for less money.

Incidentally if Air Canada decided to open up a separate B777 operation I would most certainly have a look at applying, as that is a machine I have a few hours on. And that IS how it works. Jobs are advertised, people apply.
This has to be the only "profession " in the world where very experienced candidates are required to start at the very bottom. It is ridiculous. You don't see the heart surgeon becoming a resident when he switches hospitals.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Too bad so sad for GS and team. To the OTS “applicants”, Too bad for you as well. I don’t think any tears will be shed for you.

It’s amazing what unity can provide for labour in a civilized country. Sometimes.....

Good job ALPA. Good luck to the WJ pilots.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

atphat wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:34 am Too bad so sad for GS and team. To the OTS “applicants”, Too bad for you as well. I don’t think any tears will be shed for you.

It’s amazing what unity can provide for labour in a civilized country. Sometimes.....

Good job ALPA. Good luck to the WJ pilots.
I'm not sure that the CIRB decisions are going to mean what you think.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

We’ll see. 8)

The right and desire to strike is a very effective tool. One of which the vast majority of WJ pilots today will not back down from using.

Swoop will get scoped. Or not happen at all.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

atphat wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:38 am We’ll see. 8)

The right and desire to strike is a very effective tool. One of which the vast majority of WJ pilots today will not back down from using.

Swoop will get scoped. Or not happen at all.
Not before June it won't.

Return to “WestJet”