(S.W.O.O.P)

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

(S.W.O.O.P)

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

SOBEY'S WORKERS OUT OF PICTURE

Sobey's recently closed down it's store here in the town I'm pooping in part-time and opened up one of it's discount FreshCo stores. I am sure you will see the parallels to the current situation faced by WJ and WJE pilots. The Sobey's workers are unionized. However, their union could not stop the loss of the higher paying jobs transitioning to lower paid employment at their discount 'alter ego'. Now in Western Canada, the same situation is occurring.

Good luck to ALPA fighting market forces.

And CB. Yes. Good luck fighting him.
---------- ADS -----------

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: (S.W.O.O.P)

Post by KAG »

Yes because there are soooooooo many similarities between sobeys workers and pilots.. Awesome comparison

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

I think the argument was a bit more general on purpose. Airlines are not starting separate divisions every day so the real life examples are non-existent. Perhaps you have a Canadian example of a unionized airline setting up a separate airline with lower wages and working conditions besides Swoop. If so, do tell.

You may have to widen your scope a little if you are going to understand the legal principles involved in the situation junior WJ and Encore pilots find themselves in. I know that's what I have had to do when reading the relevant case law.

I guess the other way to go is just to believe everything ALPA tells you. Current and former Encore pilots will soon be able to tell you how that worked out for them.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Well under that train of thought the same outsourcing could be applied to doctors, lawyers etc. I guess it's a good thing my wife is getting her RPN course, I could be living the high life in a few years. I'm so glad there are those within our ranks are doing all they can to better the profession. Anyway I knew better then the feed the multi personality troll.
For the record, I don't believe most of what anyone tells me, especially when funded by an interested party.

Last edited by KAG on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Well I guess the only way to get managements attention is (cough, cough).......

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

KAG wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:32 pm Well under that train of thought the same outsourcing could be applied to doctors, lawyers etc.
Ah, no.

That would be a false equivalency. What you will be looking for in your research is examples of companies with unionized workforces that have set up a separate arm to service a low cost segment of the market while maintaining operations at the higher cost segment of the market and who have avoided successful common employer applications.

(I'm not sure what the quip about funding is or who it is directed to, but the only revenue I make is from flying airplanes in the service of my employer.)

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

DONT FEED tHE TROLL

Rotten apple = new commercial pilot

Rolling eyes.

Nobody pays attention to his NCP posts so...
He needs a new handle .

Just callin it like it is.

Return to “WestJet”