To sum things up

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jazzyboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

To sum things up

Post by jazzyboy »

Yikes, this forum has turned into quite the mash up of garbage....so much for sticking to facts and having meaningful discussions. After scanning all the topics I just have a couple of comments.
First off....am I the only one that thinks that it is a bit scary that JS is allowed to be the captain at a major airline?!? He has clearly demonstrated behaviour that is nutso and is obsessed with spewing nonsense on these forums. John, I stopped going on the WJPA forum because of you and now Avcanada. When you start answering your own posts in multiple personalities, or in this case multiple account names and completely hijack topics, we all lose interest very fast. You may be a pilot, but you cannot call your self professional. If your name shows up on my schedule, I will not be flying with you that I know for sure.

For all of those that are going to Swoop, I would like to share a bit of perspective. Like I said earlier, my upgrade is now on hold indefinitely so I may be a bit jaded. 1 tail leaving to swoop is gained by 1 new MAX = 0 growth at WJ. 40 tails for swoop....pretty simple math...no movement. As of now the 787s are coming to WJ but there could be a memo coming any day now to say a new airline is coming to WJ, spun of course in the happy this is good for you kind of way that we are farming out your jobs. As said many times before, there is nothing that is preventing it from happening. Personally I think they will still be coming to WJ because then we can have some of the lowest paid 787 pilots as well as that contract is already in place....

WestJet has turned into a pretty miserable place to be these days. I can only imaging that swoop will be the same or worse. Do not think you are coming to some big happy entity of the WJ family. You will be worked like a machine with zero regard for your body clock, all for 40% less money! You will be lied to over and over and then fed “but you’re a swoopster and you are lucky to be here."
It is clear that the race to the bottom will continue with GS at the controls. He is going to Robert Milton this once great airline into the ground. His compensation goes up by the millions as he splits into multiple companies and employee relations and the product goes into the ground. What does he care? Just tell the investors that you thank your Westjetters every quarter and we are good.

From the last quarter conference call Bloomberg article. “There won’t be a problem filling those roles (at swoop)” GS said. “If our pilots choose not to pursue that career path, we will go outside WestJet to fill those vacancies.”

Why should I just so that you can line your pockets even more?? Why don't you lead by example Gregg? Corporate greed at it’s finest.
Welcome to the new WestJet Swoopsters! Bull*$#!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by jazzyboy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: To sum things up

Post by tbaylx »

If Swoop hadn't started up what would have happened to the lease returns that the max is replacing?

If they would have gone back to the lessor then Swoop hasn't affected mainline growth at all by taking the aircraft.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

The lease return is another example of the CEO playing fast and loose with the truth.

From the analysts call,

10 2-2.5 year old 737-800NG’s are going from WestJet to Swoop.

These are not tails that we’re going back to the lessors anytime soon, we just reconfigured them for our new interiors, they are highly utilized profitable machines. What are being kept are 10 much older high time 737-700’s possibly with new interiors (but more likely with the old live TV interiors). What is not mentioned is how long they will be kept and who pays to reconfigure them.

I have asked but got no response as to the 20-30 additional tails they are pondering for Swoop. If they are planning on sourcing them outside of WestJet great. But I figure the plan is to move most to of the 737-800 fleet to Swoop, they will be replaced with the Max orders at Mainline, all the older 737-700’s will go back to the lessors (they are not scheduled to get upgraded interiors, ovens/lav’s, etc). Leaving us with a few odd duck owned 737-600’s and 737-700 aircraft which they will sell if they can.

This will leave WestJet mainline with a similar product model modern 737max/787 fleet for business travels and leisure. And a standardized high density 737-800ng fleet of 30-40 aircraft for ULCC and lower cost leisure travel.

The business plan seems fine. If the flying goes outside of the current pilot group it will slow things down glacially though, there will be upgrades from the 787, but all the Max orders are a wash then.

Last edited by CaptainHaddock on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

CaptainHaddock wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm The lease return is another example of the CEO playing fast and loose with the truth.

From the analysts call,

These are not tails that we’re going back to the lessors anytime soon, we just reconfigured them for our new interiors, they are highly utilized profitable machines. What are being kept are 10 much older high time 737-700’s possibly with new interiors (but more likely with the old live TV interiors). What is not mentioned is how long they will be kept and who pays to reconfigure them.

I have asked but got no response as to the 20-30 additional tails they are pondering for Swoop. If they are planning on sourcing them outside of WestJet great. But I figure the plan is to move most to of the 737-800 fleet to Swoop, they will be replaced with the Max orders at Mainline, all the older 737-700’s will go back to the lessors (they are not scheduled to get upgraded interiors, ovens/lav’s, etc). Leaving us with a few odd duck owned 737-600’s and 737-700 aircraft which they will sell if they can.

This will leave WestJet mainline with a similar product model modern 737max/787 fleet for business travels and leisure. And a standardized high density 737-800ng fleet of 30-40 aircraft for ULCC and lower cost leisure travel.

The business plan seems fine. If the flying goes outside of the current pilot group it will slow things down glacially though, there will be upgrades from the 787, but all the Max orders are a wash then.
I can’t seem to find the 2-2.5 year old plane remark in the transcript. Can you point me in the right direction? Trying to prove a point with a co-worker. Haha

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Jazzyboy:

"You may be a pilot, but you cannot call your self professional. If your name shows up on my schedule, I will not be flying with you that I know for sure."

You don't see the irony displayed here...?

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

jazzyboy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 pm First off....am I the only one that thinks that it is a bit scary that JS is allowed to be the captain at a major airline?!? He has clearly demonstrated behaviour that is nutso and is obsessed with spewing nonsense on these forums. John, I stopped going on the WJPA forum because of you and now Avcanada. When you start answering your own posts in multiple personalities, or in this case multiple account names and completely hijack topics, we all lose interest very fast. You may be a pilot, but you cannot call your self professional. If your name shows up on my schedule, I will not be flying with you that I know for sure.
Hey jazzyboy,

i) I think if you booked off when we're supposed to fly together, you'd be doing us both a favour.

ii) If you really are concerned for my mental health, and by extension safety at WJ, I would think that a professional would file an AQD, heck even a whistleblower report, to bring to someone's attention your concerns. But we both know you won't do that, will you? Go on, I dare you...(Would you mind including a link to my YouTube videos on the WingNut airspeed indicating system too? I'm trying to build some support for an eventual crowdfunding campaign to get the thing into production. Every little bit helps.)

iii) I am truly sorry your upgrade is on hold. That is not something I wanted for anyone. It was however, truly predicatable. You probably should have campaigned harder to prevent ALPA from getting in. Choices...

iv) Have a great day. I know I go to work every day smiling and singing songs. It's a great job I have, in large part because of my co-workers. Even you my pretty, twinkish jazzyboy.

JayVee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JayVee »

I’d prefer to have a professional like jazzyboy up front than an egotistical whiny scab like JS/new commercial pilot/rotten apple any day.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

JayVee wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:21 am I’d prefer to have a professional like jazzyboy up front than an egotistical whiny scab like JS/new commercial pilot/rotten apple any day.
You forgot weedpro2000, per the alpa hidden agenda thread which was later changed to his new commercial handle after being called out.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

You can't call yourself a professional pilot and be unable to do the job for which you're paid because you have a personal difference of opinion.

What's next: can't crew an aircraft with a Catholic, a Protestant, a Sikh, a Moslem, a Conservative, or a Liberal? Because you don't agree with the religion or politics? Won't fly with an anti-union proponent because of a difference of opinion?

JHC. You guys better give your head a shake and figure out what it means to be a "professional"! It doesn't mean you automatically qualify because you're in the pointy end of an airliner.

Because of my background, I'm not much for unions (well treated by the military and corporate aviation) but I should as hell would be professional enough to crew with a pilot such a Jazzyboy even though I might think him an opinionated little twit.

"If your name shows up on my schedule, I will not be flying with you that I know for sure". This is the reaction of a well-paid "professional"?

Airline pilots some of you may be; professional you ain't...

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

lostaviator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 pm
CaptainHaddock wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm The lease return is another example of the CEO playing fast and loose with the truth.

From the analysts call,

I can’t seem to find the 2-2.5 year old plane remark in the transcript. Can you point me in the right direction? Trying to prove a point with a co-worker. Haha
2017 investors call webcast. 1 hour 27 minutes into the call, under the ‘swoop business model’ presentation.

http://services.choruscall.ca/links/wes ... 6iday.html

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

JS, do you think swoop would have shown up if we voted down alpa? I do, it may have taken an extra year or so but this isn't just a knee jet reaction to certification. It's business, and we're run by businessmen who never got our culture. You have zero basis to blame alpa for this, where's your proof?

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

KAG wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:20 am JS, do you think swoop would have shown up if we voted down alpa? I do, it may have taken an extra year or so but this isn't just a knee jet reaction to certification. It's business, and we're run by businessmen who never got our culture. You have zero basis to blame alpa for this, where's your proof?
In his own words in the various threads about swoop, talks with WJPA were well under way to have WJ pilots flying swoop aircraft before certification.

Tacoma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tacoma »

The Wjpa found out April 20th about swoop. May 12 we were certified with alpa. There's no way they were well on their way to anything. Pure conjecture and propaganda. The WJPA was like a game of pick up sticks. GS gave them the sticks, only so many sticks, and said arrange them as you see fit. No asking for more sticks!

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

My point was Swoop was showing up regardless of certification, so any claim that ALPA caused this would be false. I be heard of a Sky Regional Captain from early SR, so said pilot undercut me and 1500 Jazz Pilots and now he’s applied to Swoop to do the same to all of the WJ pilots, stand up guy, hey?

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

Tacoma wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:19 am The Wjpa found out April 20th about swoop. May 12 we were certified with alpa. There's no way they were well on their way to anything. Pure conjecture and propaganda. The WJPA was like a game of pick up sticks. GS gave them the sticks, only so many sticks, and said arrange them as you see fit. No asking for more sticks!
The ULCC was talked about a year before it was officially announced and really shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. GS had talked about it in the 2015 year/4th quarter numbers. WJPA knew long before it was announced. ALPA would calls this "back door deals" but I'm sure their learning now that business ventures are not allowed to be discussed and have signed confidentiality agreements. Some even think they should be allowed to vote on it. :lol:

Return to “WestJet”