ALPA phone survey

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

countdown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: ALPA phone survey

Post by countdown »

Trouble is, you have to be willing to walk. Many I have spoken with say it's just a tool and they would never stand on the curb with a picket sign.
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

countdown wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:43 pm Trouble is, you have to be willing to walk. Many I have spoken with say it's just a tool and they would never stand on the curb with a picket sign.
Oft forgot other side of the coin is the company is in a legal position to lock you out too. Start pulling the rolling delay pseudo strike idea and you might find yourself in a position you didn't' bargain for.
The strike mandate is not the cure all people hope it to be.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Strike or lockout?

Hmmmm - don't care.

Lockout is only a tool in the tool chest for a company when they can keep a particular group off the property and not shut down most of the business. Lockout the pilots and almost everything grinds to a halt.

JJJ

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

Is it worth mentioning that allowing negotiations with an employee group who’s compensation is greatly wrapped up in forced savings, deteriorate into a strike/lockout position seems like a foolish move to me.

Dixon_rd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dixon_rd »

Add me to the list of those who are willing to strike!

Solidarity.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

hopefully people know that a strike mandate doesn't mean a real strike...yet. mostly lets the company know that the pilots are taking a stand..also do you really think Westjet will let any of its pilots walk?? how much would that cost...looks like the Westjet pilots are in the drivers seat...

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

[/quote]

Oft forgot other side of the coin is the company is in a legal position to lock you out too. Start pulling the rolling delay pseudo strike idea and you might find yourself in a position you didn't' bargain for.
The strike mandate is not the cure all people hope it to be.
[/quote]

Haha ! :D Let them ! ..

spiting face by cutting off nose ... :lol:
I can just see management staring at all the parked planes thinking ummm " we didn't quite think that through did we .. "

LOL

Just callin it like it is.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Has any airline ever locked out the pilots?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 am Has any airline ever locked out the pilots?
Qantas most recently I believe in 2011.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

tbaylx wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:28 pm
goingnowherefast wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 am Has any airline ever locked out the pilots?
Qantas most recently I believe in 2011.
Or one of the annual Air France strikes?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Guys, the strike mandate is just that. A tool to leverage a better bargaining position.

In my time at Jazz back in the day, they got a 98% mandate and negotiations took off. Once the government stepped in and said you will be regulated back, the company took the equivalent of $15 mil off the table. The mandate shows unity and that you are prepared to sit for better WAWCON.

I am unaware of any pilot group actually walking and shutting down an airline, although it has been close.

I love how JS is posting under his different personalities that he'll cross the line. You guys can certainly cross, but you'll probably find you'll be sitting all day with no one to fly wth.

countdown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by countdown »

MAD (mutually assured destruction) usually just results in a cold war.

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:58 am Guys, the strike mandate is just that. A tool to leverage a better bargaining position.

In my time at Jazz back in the day, they got a 98% mandate and negotiations took off. Once the government stepped in and said you will be regulated back, the company took the equivalent of $15 mil off the table. The mandate shows unity and that you are prepared to sit for better WAWCON.

I am unaware of any pilot group actually walking and shutting down an airline, although it has been close.

I love how JS is posting under his different personalities that he'll cross the line. You guys can certainly cross, but you'll probably find you'll be sitting all day with no one to fly wth.
As indicated in a few previous comments. there seems to be very little appetite to actually go on strike. Essentially a big ol' bluff I guess. Without going on too much of a tangent, this behavior reminds me of the frilled lizard (Chlamydosaurus Kingii). It makes itself looks like a dangerous and scary opponent when confronted, but when you don't appear frightened by its little show, it runs away in the most laughable fashion.

In ALPAs effort to get pilots on side with a strike mandate, they tipped their hand by saying it has very little intention of actually going on strike. Too funny.

As for crossing the picket line, I'm fairly confident that in YYC, there'll be a higher percentage of both Capts AND F/Os that will cross, compared to YYZ and YVR. I'll be one of those that cross the picket line. I won't be doing it with a skip in my step however. I shake my head at the situation in which we find ourselves in. What it boils down to is this: I work for WJ, not ALPA. Some of you may hate that little fact.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

well from having deep discussions from all my friends at Westjet it seems like the consensus is that even if 30% of the pilots don't go to work on a strike it will still grind Westjet to a halt.....crews and planes all displaced for even a day take millions and days to recover....remember one delay of a 67 more than 4 hours I believe they have to pay every passenger something....WJ can't afford even a small percentage of pilots not to go to work because they are all ready staffed very tight..

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

Good point pacman. I'd even go so far as to say that even if 10% weren't going to show up to fly, that it would cost $millions over time.

That said, if 70% of the pilots were to ignore the call to strike and cross the picket lines, I think it would quite definitely show that the MEC is either incapable of reading the wishes of its members, or downright inept and untrustworthy.

Looks like the MEC needs to stoke the fires of discontent a tad more in order to get a drop in that 70% figure. Personally, I'm super p!ssed that we don't get a shoe allowance. ACPA gets one....and so should we!

Vive le Che Guevara!!

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

" On the one hand, if a strike were to occur, I'll be one of the dastardly scabs crossing a line to fly the airplane my employer has designated that I fly."

Do you really think anyone is surprised?

In unity, I vote yes.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Impact wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:29 pm
As indicated in a few previous comments. there seems to be very little appetite to actually go on strike.
My observations are the opposite. Yes, many in the YYC base will not strike however YYZ and YVR are ready to go.

The BOD and CEO have both explicitly stated WestJet will not do anything that will hurt our investment grade rating. A strike vote will most certainly hurt that elusive rating, hence why we have a new CEO.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

Impact wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:53 pm
That said, if 70% of the pilots were to ignore the call to strike and cross the picket lines, I think it would quite definitely show that the MEC is either incapable of reading the wishes of its members, or downright inept and untrustworthy.

Looks like the MEC needs to stoke the fires of discontent a tad more in order to get a drop in that 70% figure. Personally, I'm super p!ssed that we don't get a shoe allowance. ACPA gets one....and so should we!

Vive le Che Guevara!!
IF 70% were to ignore the call!!!!! I want what you are smoking. My online straw poll suggests quite the opposite.

The MEC doesn't have to stoke any fires of discontent, the company is pouring gasoline on that fire all on their own.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

Agreed. From what I have seen during crew changes on the bridge I have never seen so many people that were so anti ALPA that are now fully on board. They company has definitely united the pilot group.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

RidersRule wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:16 pm Agreed. From what I have seen during crew changes on the bridge I have never seen so many people that were so anti ALPA that are now fully on board. They company has definitely united the pilot group.
Yep

Return to “WestJet”