WJPilotFacts.com

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WJPilotFacts.com

Post by moe »

That was a great post pigboat.
Appreciate the insight and support.

dk
---------- ADS -----------

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyingsquirrelsuck »

pigboat wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09 am Ladies and Gents.

I am not at Westjet. I have been in an Association for 39 years.

Thoughts from the sidelines.

Your need for a Union is two fold. Protection from an Employer who is not always completely fair in its dealings AND protection from your fellow pilot who might sell you out for personal gain.

( i.e. 243 pilots on layoff in 1993 and some greedy pilots flying 90, 100, 115 hours a month seriously delaying the recall of Other Brother Pilots. ) A. C. 1992-94.

Flying for cheap contributes next to nothing to a Companies bottom line.At the peak of pay rates the cost of flight crew was about 2.7 cents on the company dollar. With the decay of wages over the last 30 years, it is now less than 2 cents on the dollar. Flying for 10% or 30% less is just plain DUMB. You just end up giving up your salary for some Management bonus. It is false to think it contributes anything significant to the health of your Company. Everything that contributes to the cost of running an Airline has gone up a lot. Buying or renting A.C. ; fuel ; taxes and user fees are out of control! Canadian Landing fees, fuel tax, security tax, etc. The cost of fees and taxes on a ticket in Canada is an outrage, NOT the cost of it's pilots.

Management will try to create upset, pilot disunity and spread misinformation. Their job is to get your labor for as cheap as possible. IT is JUST BUSINESS! Nothing new here.

LAST and most important. Fly safe! Try to keep this discussion out of Flight Planning, off the Flight Deck. Save it for the layover or if it is clearly divisive, leave it alone. Politics, Religion and first contract Union talk should not interfere with safe flying.

I wish you all the best, it is a tough road but the rewards will last you all a lifetime!

A limited number of pilots ( perhaps as low as 10% ) can and will cause considerable damage to your Union in trying to get you the best deal. Just accept it as a reality.

Great post. Just waiting for JS to reply. Probably talk about stickers and German stuff.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

I have a suspicion it's one of our own actually behind the website. JS mentioned the $$$ he'd received to "bust" us and has been responsible for the creation of many websites in the past.

WJ claims ownership to the site in the about section but if you run a Whois search on the URL, the owner's registration has been hidden. If WJ was the actual author/creator of the site, why would they hide their information from the registry as the owner? Someone has paid the extra $$$ to have the ownership registered under an url owner alias.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

lostaviator wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 am I have a suspicion it's one of our own actually behind the website. JS mentioned the $$$ he'd received to "bust" us and has been responsible for the creation of many websites in the past.

WJ claims ownership to the site in the about section but if you run a Whois search on the URL, the owner's registration has been hidden. If WJ was the actual author/creator of the site, why would they hide their information from the registry as the owner? Someone has paid the extra $$$ to have the ownership registered under an url owner alias.
Hahahaha, ahahahahahaha, frak! HAHAHAHAHA, lololololol,

I knew sooner or later some internet noob would end up on the hook hanging from the end of my line! hahahahahaha, good one.

I'm going to go treat myself to an extra large triple fruity latte something or other with a side order of dumbf@3k to go.

HAHAHAHAHA!

I haven't felt this good since someone wrote up an official AQD reporting me to the company for the Flica OT offer I made to the pilot group where I had hired Alexey and Dmitri, two Russian Ph.D students to pick up OT shifts for me and was extending the OT to Capts and FOs on a commission basis.

I fricking love myself.

Pilots. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

I think lostaviator should change his/her name to Sherlock Holmes, or gullibleaviator.

This day is starting out great.!

:supz: :supz: :supz: :partyman: :partyman: :partyman: :partyman: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt026 :smt026

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

And just for the record (you can choose to believe me, or not), I have only ever set up one website. That was www.encoresenioritycoalition.org, which was a website devoted entirely to showing how ALPA's 50 year old Executive Board policy is to construct seniority lists based on date of hire, and necessarily means that the One List cannot be replicated in a WJ mainline seniority list, if that list is to withstand a legal challenge.

The effort that went in to the website, entirely funded by myself (you can choose to believe that, or not), was unsuccessful. A majority of former and existing Encore pilots chose to fall for the Pied Piper of Herndon's propaganda. We'll see how that works out for them shortly.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

It is still absolutely amazing someone thinks the company has their back when we have friends and co-workers out there trying to represent us. You/I are nothing to the BOD, execs, etc. They'd pay us in biscoff cookies if they could.

See confessions of a union buster. Word for word - what is happening here right now.

Please get behind your fellow pilots, they have your back more than the company ever has/will. If things go bad, and we are let down, I'll be the first to contribute to your cause. On the topic of believing you, believe that I wasn't quick to get onboard with this, but we need to now in order to solidify a good outcome.

Wasn't there a decertifythewppa or something once upon a time? Back in the day? I really hope your memory isn't going. :wink:

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

I really don’t care which url’s you own/have owned but we should all be asking ourselves why the ownership information to this domain is being hidden....

Especially considering the company has a page full of url’s the own (Including westjetsucks.com). Why would they all of a sudden decide to not be the recognized owner of this website?

Third party union busters is why.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

lostaviator wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:34 am I really don’t care which url’s you own/have owned but we should all be asking ourselves why the ownership information to this domain is being hidden....

Especially considering the company has a page full of url’s the own (Including westjetsucks.com). Why would they all of a sudden decide to not be the recognized owner of this website?

Third party union busters is why.
Yup.

This guy is really really good at his job in the US and is WestJet's lead negotiator.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/amer ... glass.html

http://www.talkairline.com/showthread.p ... le-history

http://www.fhsolutionsgroup.com/consultants/jerry-glass

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Cams memo (last year) also said Swoop would be good for our career growth.

And from the company could mean from a union busting firm. As long as they paid for it, it’s theirs.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

I really wouldn't lose much sleep over who owns the website. Who cares?

You have a job, a good job. You have food to eat, clean clothes to wear, a place to sleep. if you look at the world's population, you are likely among the most privileged 0.1% of the planet. And if you look back in the last 1000 years of human history, you are healthier and have an easier life, free from violence and hunger and disease, like that puts you among some stupidly rarified number.

If you forget all the propaganda about how bad things are here at WJ from the purveyors of doom, and sit back and realize how easy you have it, you'll have a great life. Once you get something to vote on, then go vote on it however you like. In the big scheme of things, this is just like every other event in your life that you thought was so bloody important, and then with the passage of time you realized none of it mattered. In the end, we're all going to be dead. All the bullsh!t mutterings from the ALPA fanboi mob, won't mean anything. All that so serious sounding armpit sniffing whining. I don't get it. It's like they are pre WWI coal miners in the north of England trying to fight for the right to live a proper life. Honestly...(Go read "The Road to Wiggan Pier")

After 6 paychecks in 2018, I have already paid $60,000 in income taxes. That's my big problem. Income taxes. And that's only because WJ pays me too much money.

I'm going to go grab a shower, put on some clean undies and dress myself for the awesome day of flying ahead here we won't be talking about ALPA in the flight deck. Unless it's to demonstrate how to most efficiently remove orange stickers from company property.

再见

saltypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by saltypilot »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 am I really wouldn't lose much sleep over who owns the website. Who cares?

You have a job, a good job. You have food to eat, clean clothes to wear, a place to sleep. if you look at the world's population, you are likely among the most privileged 0.1% of the planet. And if you look back in the last 1000 years of human history, you are healthier and have an easier life, free from violence and hunger and disease, like that puts you among some stupidly rarified number.

If you forget all the propaganda about how bad things are here at WJ from the purveyors of doom, and sit back and realize how easy you have it, you'll have a great life. Once you get something to vote on, then go vote on it however you like. In the big scheme of things, this is just like every other event in your life that you thought was so bloody important, and then with the passage of time you realized none of it mattered. In the end, we're all going to be dead. All the bullsh!t mutterings from the ALPA fanboi mob, won't mean anything. All that so serious sounding armpit sniffing whining. I don't get it. It's like they are pre WWI coal miners in the north of England trying to fight for the right to live a proper life. Honestly...(Go read "The Road to Wiggan Pier")

After 6 paychecks in 2018, I have already paid $60,000 in income taxes. That's my big problem. Income taxes. And that's only because WJ pays me too much money.

I'm going to go grab a shower, put on some clean undies and dress myself for the awesome day of flying ahead here we won't be talking about ALPA in the flight deck. Unless it's to demonstrate how to most efficiently remove orange stickers from company property.

再见
I’m sure this is the same attitude that the 1% have...”we should just be happy with our lot”. Get real.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Cams memo (last year) also said Swoop would be good for our career growth
Well, for one thing, ALPA is the one keeping you out of the Swoop seats, and by extension, that means you, the pilot that voted to bring them on to the property. So if you’re looking for reasons why things aren’t looking so groovy right now, find a mirror.

Or perhaps you are one of those pilots who thought that the market for the WJ mainline product was large enough that the company could just keep on ordering 737’s until les vaches sont chez eux. That was not going to happen.

Here’s an analysis of Swoop: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ne-447243/

Many North American legacy carriers have tried the low cost airline with an airline, and it failed. We needed, as original WJ founder Mark Hill puts it, “NO BS LOW COSTS” in order to have a fighting chance to claim that space.

I’m sympathetic that you didn’t see this coming. I didn’t see my job loss at C3, Royal, or Air Atlantic coming. Now, 17 years after C3’s demise, I’m making serious dough flying a 37. Lots of the people in the right seat here at WJ are much much younger than I was when I got here. They’ll do fine as long as their company does fine. Or go elsewhere. Whatever. No one owes you sh!t. This is an airline. Change happens, get over yourself, and work to make your airline the strongest competitor possible.

The biggest threat to career advancement of (current and former) Encore pilots is located in Herndon.

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 am I really wouldn't lose much sleep over who owns the website. Who cares?

再见
Absolutely, John!! A positive attitude of thankfulness and appreciation will perpetuate more to be thankful for. Like I tell my kids - your thoughts are your currency in life. If you harbour angry and selifish thoughts then you'll forever be angry and alone. Be thankful for everything and everyone in your life and you'll never go without or be alone. "I think therefore I am..."

WJ is a fantastic company to work for and I doubt you'll speak with many who feel otherwise. Now, obviously there's a fringe group on both sides of that statement - those who feel that it'll never be good enough and those who are plotting to destroy orange stickers. :-) I'm just thankful that those groups are the small minority and have little to NO effect on our journey to achieve solidarity and fair market value.

All the best!

J RO

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

On a lighter note. Youtube.com ..... cartoon..... " Airline and pilot negotiation." Management will always try and play you. Stick together and BE prepared to back up your Union.

"Living the dream". lego pilot, pt. I, II and III are good for a laugh as well.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I think the fact that ALPA prioritizes keeping one's mouth shut after an accident/incident over seeking medical attention for the crew speaks volumes. ALPA is just a big, political machine, profit-driven like any other company, who depends on constantly recruiting new members. Frankly I'd be surprised is the first person to "answer the phone" in Washington/Virginia even knew where Calgary is or who WestJet is.

But vandalizing company property by putting stickers on it is kind of a no-on at any company. Surely this doesn't have to be explained? Stick it on your flight bag with all the other dork airplane stickers if that's your thing! :mrgreen:

Really, most of the posts seem merely for the purpose of seething with envy that WeedPro2000 seems to actually enjoy his lot in life. Sure, maybe he's doing better than most can due to the simple luck of timing, but...so what? So much petty jealousy...focus on what you have, not what you perceive you are missing. Trust me, you'll be happier!
Flyingsquirrelsuck wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:50 amIt costs the pilots to work at Westjet!
My favourite quote so far. Maybe WestJet pilots are well-compensated, maybe they're not. Compared to the wags of the average Canadian I'm pretty sure they're doing "ok". But it stretches credulity to suggest that they're so hard-done that they work at a net loss every month! :lol:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I remember a guy on my last type who used to break clipboards over his knee that colleagues had put in every fin for convenience, and break off the little plastic adhesive clips we liked to attach the recent ATIS to under the ISFD...

Everyone appreciated the convenience of those things... it isn't vandalism... you don't need an STC for a clip or clipboard... or a sticker on a clipboard with an emergency contact for someone to help support and represent you in an incident, particularly when you may be overwhelmed or in shock...

I don't know how ALPA works exactly, but I'm sure it doesn't prioritize keeping your mouth shut ahead of supporting your crew in an urgent situation. I think following an incident waiting for the correct time to speak is prudent anyway since you have other things to do like supporting your crew and gathering yourself.... particularly in some foreign jurisdictions.

Additionally, we all ought to know that there are airlines and manufacturers and governments and airports and air navigation services, ALL with significant legal machines and resources and an extremely large interest that a report concludes in "pilot error"... and they are all keeping their mouths shut until they get their story straight, why wouldn't you?

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyingsquirrelsuck »

complexintentions wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:48 pm I think the fact that ALPA prioritizes keeping one's mouth shut after an accident/incident over seeking medical attention for the crew speaks volumes. ALPA is just a big, political machine, profit-driven like any other company, who depends on constantly recruiting new members. Frankly I'd be surprised is the first person to "answer the phone" in Washington/Virginia even knew where Calgary is or who WestJet is.

But vandalizing company property by putting stickers on it is kind of a no-on at any company. Surely this doesn't have to be explained? Stick it on your flight bag with all the other dork airplane stickers if that's your thing! :mrgreen:

Really, most of the posts seem merely for the purpose of seething with envy that WeedPro2000 seems to actually enjoy his lot in life. Sure, maybe he's doing better than most can due to the simple luck of timing, but...so what? So much petty jealousy...focus on what you have, not what you perceive you are missing. Trust me, you'll be happier!
Flyingsquirrelsuck wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:50 amIt costs the pilots to work at Westjet!
My favourite quote so far. Maybe WestJet pilots are well-compensated, maybe they're not. Compared to the wags of the average Canadian I'm pretty sure they're doing "ok". But it stretches credulity to suggest that they're so hard-done that they work at a net loss every month! :lol:
Nice post John. Please feel sorry for me once again. If your happy at Westjet great. So am I, I just like pointing out your posts as complete bull$hit.

Pilots pay, parking, LTD, “taxable benefit perks” pay for our pension etc. It doesn’t matter what the average Canadian makes, that is irrvelovant to our situation.

You always try to turn the attention to something that doesn’t matter.

Your the best

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

hahah now EVERYONE who disagrees with you is this same person, is that it? Man, if that isn't a sign that you need to take a deep breath and perhaps get a mental health break, I don't know what is. :mrgreen:

Just a friendly tip, but the conjunction of "you are" is "you're", not "your". Unless of course you're trying to sound ignorant. But in that case I'd suggest using "yer".

And it certainly is relevant what the average Canadian makes when rhetoric is employed to suggest that WestJet pilots are just poor, downtrodden minions, literally paying a price to be working there. THAT, my friend, is some "complete bullshit".
I don't know how ALPA works exactly, but I'm sure it doesn't prioritize keeping your mouth shut ahead of supporting your crew in an urgent situation.
Then why does their own sticker list as the first thing to do in accident/incident as "MAKE NO STATEMENTS TO ANYONE OUTSIDE ALPA" followed a couple lines later by "Obtain medical attention for the crew"? Anyone with a basic understanding of checklist design would acknowledge that actions deemed most important are listed first.

Unless specifically requested to by the company, putting stickers of any kind on company property is of course vandalism. Duh. Putting ones up that represent something people are divided about is even more stupid, just a childish provocation. I've never that to be an effective way to bring someone around to my way of thinking.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I didn't see the checklist, but...

It's a non-action... Don't do this...

Return to “WestJet”