Gloom & Doom Q2 outlook...are you kidding?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Gloom & Doom Q2 outlook...are you kidding?

Post by lostaviator »

Will be interesting is to see how they "register" these planes....

The ones being repainted are keeping their WJ civil registration which is still owned by "WestJet" after a quick search online and there is no operating certificate under a name of Swoop.
---------- ADS -----------

DutyFree
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DutyFree »

You guys are getting messy! Stick to point and remember what it is you all worked for.

Here is some perspective and motivation.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/sou ... w-contract

DutyFree
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DutyFree »

DutyFree wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:15 pm You guys are getting messy! Stick to point and remember what it is you all worked for.

Here is some perspective and motivation.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/sou ... w-contract

A new negotiating team was put in place, with talks between the union and Southwest starting back up in March under the supervision of a federal mediator. While negotiations took place behind closed doors, the union organized pilots to publicly picket at Love Field and other airports around the country.
Billboards and other advertisements criticized Southwest for the protracted negotiations at a time of record profitability for the company. Southwest earned $2.2 billion in profit in 2015, the most in the company's 43-year history.

Despite the pitched rhetoric, a tentative agreement was reached in August that provided pilots with the financial benefits they sought without major changes to the work rules that affect their quality of life, working conditions and job security.

And for all the tin foil kids out there, I’m no troll. Just a Canadien pilot that has cut his teeth plenty.

Keep ur spirits up.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

altiplano wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 am I think complex has a point, and he has it right how people will look at it.

Most arbitrators won't get it... you keep your position - "no job losses" - but you atrophy as a forever-FO while your mainline shrinks and the flying goes to B-scale...

Most on the outside of this industry won't see a problem with that. "You kept your job"...

That's why SCOPE it's so important. That's why you have to stop your flying from being transferred away in the first place... toothpaste back in the tube if you let it out...
I'm sure the WJ ALPA MEC shares your opinion.

In ACPA's/AC's 2011(?) TA1 the E175's were protected my scope language. The airline altered the contract language in their FOS submission to remove those aircraft in exchange for job protection language, of coarse, the E175's were at Sky Regional within months.

I'd be curious to know how much ground WJ and ALPA have covered, because Swoops' June start up is quickly approaching and even simply having both side agree on the the frame work of a contract can take months.

Swoop will commence operations (the executives know their jobs depend on it), will the pilots strike or continue negotiations? Neither side wants a labour stoppage, and the pilots should want to avoid arbitration which the Fed's might mandate.

Just thinking outside the box a bit what about reaching a Memorandum of Understanding whereby the pilots agree to let Swoop commence operations with the trained outside pilots, with the Swoop fleet limited to 4-6 aircraft in exchange for a 150% pay increase for WJ pilots until a new agreement is reached. Of coarse there would have to be a number of conditions applied for both sides, such as an expiry date, and agreements in principle on a number of areas of the contract, and that Swoop positions will be flown by WJ pilots in the agreement.

But time is a big factor, and tensions need to de escalate a little breathing room would help.

Greenbastard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Greenbastard »

Firstly, this is not about Swoop existing. This about WJ/APLA pilots flying Swoop at whatever conditions are negotiated. Secondly, this about CB demanding this be flown by non union pilots, at any price. It’s not good business it’s personal, and it shows. WJ
pilots will strike over this if necessary, and soon.

Demeter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Demeter »

Take a breath j. Take a breath :rolleyes: you’ve never been happy so don’t let this get to you! Life’s too short!

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Boreas wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 am ....
If a corporation is willing to screw you over - long term or short term - screw it over first!

If it goes under, it goes under - we all know it won't happen in WJ's case. Another one will replace it. Work there. Unionize. Negotiate decent WAWCON. Strike if necessary!
Wow!! Brave words gambling with others' jobs! "If it goes under", there is no way that pay and working conditions are going to be as good at a new airline, never mind better!!

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

cloak wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 pm
Boreas wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 am ....
If a corporation is willing to screw you over - long term or short term - screw it over first!

If it goes under, it goes under - we all know it won't happen in WJ's case. Another one will replace it. Work there. Unionize. Negotiate decent WAWCON. Strike if necessary!
Wow!! Brave words gambling with others' jobs! "If it goes under", there is no way that pay and working conditions are going to be as good at a new airline, never mind better!!
You have to get mad to get things done sometimes.

What has being calm and passive done for Canadian aviation? We're some of the lowest paid airline pilots in the world... Factor in how much we get taxed and how much it costs to live here and tell me thats not reason to get a little angry.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Bingo, therein lies the problem:over-taxation.... misplaced anger won't help.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

pilots don't pay any higher taxes then any of the other working stiffs in the country. :cry:

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

tsgas wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 pm pilots don't pay any higher taxes then any of the other working stiffs in the country. :cry:
Dollar for dollar that is true. However our tax structure is based on earnings and the more you make, the more you pay.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

tsgas wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 pm pilots don't pay any higher taxes then any of the other working stiffs in the country. :cry:
I pay more tax than almost every person I know. In fact most “working stiffs” still think I should pay more. :roll:

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

atphat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 am
I pay more tax than almost every person I know. In fact most “working stiffs” still think I should pay more. :roll:
When your tax rates reach over 50% of the dollar YOU earn; there is something Wrong with the tax laws. In Ontario, 52.5% goes to Little Justin and Catherine. Neither has the slightest clue of anyone that actually works for a living. I wonder how Justin survives on his daddy's trust funds.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

pigboat wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:47 am When your tax rates reach over 50% of the dollar YOU earn; there is something Wrong with the tax laws. In Ontario, 52.5% goes to Little Justin and Catherine. Neither has the slightest clue of anyone that actually works for a living. I wonder how Justin survives on his daddy's trust funds.
That's the marginal rate, not the average rate. In Ontario, you would have to literally make over $1 million/year in taxable income, assuming you got no deductions whatsoever, in order to lose over half your money to taxes.

FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

Last edited by FL020 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

common employer has not been filed for very specific reasons at this time. The resources provided to them by ALPA and guidance they have received to this point had been unmatched by our executives.

They are not playing catch up like some.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

FL020 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:05 am Unfortunately for tbaylx...there is no lec/mec where was was JUST employed.............. :rolleyes:
TSB to Swoop???

squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

Diadem wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:20 pm
pigboat wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:47 am When your tax rates reach over 50% of the dollar YOU earn; there is something Wrong with the tax laws. In Ontario, 52.5% goes to Little Justin and Catherine. Neither has the slightest clue of anyone that actually works for a living. I wonder how Justin survives on his daddy's trust funds.
That's the marginal rate, not the average rate. In Ontario, you would have to literally make over $1 million/year in taxable income, assuming you got no deductions whatsoever, in order to lose over half your money to taxes.
Not sure what tax haven you’re living in. But it’s not in this land of low temperatures and high taxes! EY has the chart on this below.
4438DC4B-65CB-457F-9F27-4BD5FF9D09D6.png
4438DC4B-65CB-457F-9F27-4BD5FF9D09D6.png (223.6 KiB) Viewed 6465 times

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Yup, that'a not 50%.. on 220K, you pay 80K in taxes. That's 36%.

Going for the deck at corner

Return to “WestJet”