WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Post by True North »

Ex99guy wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:19 am Hey Tbaylx,

Enough with the cavalier attitude.

Every time we here that disgusting call sign on the radio we all die inside.

My "jumpseat" will never be open to the "26".

Pound sand,

Regards,

The rest of Canadian aviation
Wow.

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing your medical benefits plan covers some form of anger management. You should probably avail yourself.

Maybe ego management too. :roll:
---------- ADS -----------

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

co-joe wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 am Out of curiosity, does anyone know where Encore pilots fit into this mess?

#403 Post by Rezy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:30 am

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 am
Just saw a fresh ad on indeed.ca today for Swoop FOs. What’s the deal with that?

Arbitrator stated WJ could open the Swoop ad on June 12 in case no pilots bid the position, that would allow Swoop to hire OTS - only if the positions are not filled internally. Clear as day in the Interim Order. This was expected weeks ago.
This is from 2 months ago, but shouldn't any unfilled Swoop spots be offered to Encore pilots before they go OTS?
The Swoop spots are being offered to Encore pilots before it goes OTS. It’s been that way since the middle of June. I don’t believe we can bid on the Captain bypass positions though.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

co-joe wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 am Out of curiosity, does anyone know where Encore pilots fit into this mess?

#403 Post by Rezy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:30 am

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 am
Just saw a fresh ad on indeed.ca today for Swoop FOs. What’s the deal with that?

Arbitrator stated WJ could open the Swoop ad on June 12 in case no pilots bid the position, that would allow Swoop to hire OTS - only if the positions are not filled internally. Clear as day in the Interim Order. This was expected weeks ago.
This is from 2 months ago, but shouldn't any unfilled Swoop spots be offered to Encore pilots before they go OTS?
From the Encore side, let’s just say that we are playing with the cards that we are dealt.
Somebody that makes a little more than me decides how many of our guys they want to let flow to swoop/mainline, and it doesn’t always line up with the open spots as they come up.
Another shyte mess is the many friends of mine that want to bid for spot as captain at swoop from encore, because of their previous time on type (73 and on bigger Boeings). But alas, that is no option for us. Flow to an FO spot it is, when ever they feel like sending us.
We are keeping our heads up, hopefully the flood gates of WJ will open by late next year. Nevertheless, the flood gates of AC will.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

What is happening at Swoop these days? I saw through social media that an acquaintance of mine, a Captain at Encore, is headed to Swoop.

Are all Swoop positions being filled internally now through Encore and WS mainline? Since the arbitration began, has there been any changes in the pay or working conditions? Are guys being paid at the WS rate or still the abysmal pay that was announced originally?

Cheers.

intake
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by intake »

Isn’t 1 September when the arbitrator gives his determination?

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Sept 9th is the last day of scheduled mediated bargaining. After that the mediator will decide on outstanding issues. ‘The WestJet Group’ has recently applied for a more formal arbitration process though that could slow the process down somewhat. It’s the same arbitrator though regardless of the process used. So the ruling may be later September, or even October now depending on if he lets them use the more formal process.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
B757FO
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by B757FO »

They did not apply... The company stated they May elect to do the formal process.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

B757FO wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:00 am They did not apply... The company stated they May elect to do the formal process.
Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought it was ultimately up to Mr. Kaplan if they are able to or not.

B757FO
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by B757FO »

Your correct. But the company would have to apply first which would probably happen on the 7th then Kaplan decides ya or nay. Then company can appeal if Kaplan denies it. More time goes by. Well shall see this weekend how it goes. This formal process is foreign to me except what Alpa mec has said which is where I got the info from.

Hope it’s done soon.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Oh, thanks for the clarification. Hopefully this gets wound up sooner than later.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

B757FO wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:29 pm Your correct. But the company would have to apply first which would probably happen on the 7th then Kaplan decides ya or nay. Then company can appeal if Kaplan denies it. More time goes by. Well shall see this weekend how it goes. This formal process is foreign to me except what Alpa mec has said which is where I got the info from.

Hope it’s done soon.
The formal process sounds like it’s foreign to the ALPA MEC as well......what a joke this is becoming! We’re going to be lucky to come out of this with what we have. We aren’t any further ahead then we were a year ago.

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

Blue42 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:02 pm
B757FO wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:29 pm Your correct. But the company would have to apply first which would probably happen on the 7th then Kaplan decides ya or nay. Then company can appeal if Kaplan denies it. More time goes by. Well shall see this weekend how it goes. This formal process is foreign to me except what Alpa mec has said which is where I got the info from.

Hope it’s done soon.
The formal process sounds like it’s foreign to the ALPA MEC as well......what a joke this is becoming! We’re going to be lucky to come out of this with what we have. We aren’t any further ahead then we were a year ago.

Keep trolling. We already made significant gains over what the WJPA was able to get us.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

I’ll bite...what exactly are those gains? I made $399,400 in 2917 and I worked 12 days between May 13 and Aug 12 of this year. Tell me how my work life gets better.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:26 am I’ll bite...what exactly are those gains? I made $399,400 in 2917 and I worked 12 days between May 13 and Aug 12 of this year. Tell me how my work life gets better.
Not everyone is able to drop their entire schedule and rely solely on OT to prop up their T4.

FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FurHat »

lostaviator wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:59 am
WeedPro2000 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:26 am I’ll bite...what exactly are those gains? I made $399,400 in 2917 and I worked 12 days between May 13 and Aug 12 of this year. Tell me how my work life gets better.
Not everyone is able to drop their entire schedule and rely solely on OT to prop up their T4.
No one will be able to with the introduction of reserve.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Don’t forget that 40% of that is now worth 50% less.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

FurHat wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:29 am
lostaviator wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:59 am
No one will be able to with the introduction of reserve.
WJ is years away from being able to staff any sort of reserve system. The supply of pilots in Canada isn’t enough to support AC’s hiring let alone WestJets hiring forecast (and that’s without reserve).

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

This isn’t about just you. Figure it out already.
Every day you post I thank gawd there are people out there who care about others and this industry.

Just callin it like it is.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I get it now. Weedpro is able to exploit a loophole in the scheduling and OT rules. Now that his specific gravy train is ending, he is throwing an internet hissy fit. Too bad the world doesn't revolve around him, and 95% of westjet pilots are seeing improvements with ALPA. He's just too ignorant to notice (or too arrogant to care).

B757FO
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by B757FO »

yes the days of $400k t4s are coming to an end once the reserve thing takes hold and while I do agree it won’t be a switch thrown overnight, it will be happening.

Westjet applied for formal yesterday which is no shock but we also have a delay now but we have an agreement in 2018 now by December 31st. So staying calm and watching this play out will be the way it is for next 3 months. At least this has some finality to it now with timelines.

Return to “WestJet”