Minisiter of Transport M Garneau braggs about Swoop

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Minisiter of Transport M Garneau braggs about Swoop

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

https://twitter.com/MarcGarneau/status/ ... 4422188032
Ultra low cost airline @FlySwoop will start operating very soon. Canadians have been asking for affordable flight and our Gov is working towards it. Our strategy is aimed at providing greater choice, lower costs and strengthening air passenger right. #C49

As tough Swoop was a great achievement for the Canadian public.

Out of whose pockets are those savings coming from ?

Lower airport fees ?
Lower NAV Canada fees ?
Cheaper regulatory environment ?

Lower fuel costs ?
Lower aircraft acquisition costs ?
Lower insurance fees ?
Lower maintenance cost ?

No. All of the above are the same aren't they Minister Garneau ?

So where are those savings coming from ?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Minisiter of Transport M Garneau braggs about Swoop

Post by Noo »

Lucky you didn't strike.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

How exactly is the government working on this?

I loved seeing all the comments from pilots about Flight Duty Regulations below the tweet, something they actually can work on..

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Such a short sighted post by an elected official. Shame on this government.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

So does Garneau stupid comment make Swoop a government run airline since they had soo much to do with it? :rolleyes:

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

What an absolute joke he is. Don’t worry about fatigue. It’s fake news!

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Duplicate

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Duplicate

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

I've come to expect nothing less from the Liberals.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I don't do any tweetering myself, but more people should continue to comment on that post and others regarding the current fatigue threat to the public.

With this sort of slant on his PR, you'd think he's being lobbied...........

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Um, if you're fatigued, can't you just book off? What kind of companies are you guys working at that you can't book off if fatigued. Or is it something else that you prevents you from making the safe decision?

When comparing Canada to USA rules, I think it helpful to recall that USA airlines, AFAIK, do not have crew rest provisions. They cannot legally close their eyes and get rest in the manner that is proscribed in Canadian airline SOPs (if approved). Therefore, it is correct that their operations be time limited less than Canadian airline operators. I can't speak for the smaller outfits with only one pilot operations and no approval to do crew rest.

Anyhow, that's how I see it. Go to work and do the job you are paid well for, or choose another career path that suits your sleep schedule. Accounting comes to mind.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

I think Team Red should see this as a warning shot in the event of hopes of a future bailout.

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyingsquirrelsuck »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 am Um, if you're fatigued, can't you just book off? What kind of companies are you guys working at that you can't book off if fatigued. Or is it something else that you prevents you from making the safe decision?

When comparing Canada to USA rules, I think it helpful to recall that USA airlines, AFAIK, do not have crew rest provisions. They cannot legally close their eyes and get rest in the manner that is proscribed in Canadian airline SOPs (if approved). Therefore, it is correct that their operations be time limited less than Canadian airline operators. I can't speak for the smaller outfits with only one pilot operations and no approval to do crew rest.

Anyhow, that's how I see it. Go to work and do the job you are paid well for, or choose another career path that suits your sleep schedule. Accounting comes to mind.
This same job was going to paid at 40% less than mainline Westjet rates John. I know you aligned your interests with the BOD and the company, why don’t you bid to do Swoop flying then? That’s right you would give up your OT, schedule, vacation, ESP, options and benefits. I expect to see your name on the Swoop bid. You still have until 9am today.

This is the same company that was going to lock out it’s pilots and shut down the company over a pilot contract!

Fatigue is a problem created over time from bad planning and scheduling by the airline. I’m sure you doubt any real scientific findings in the matter.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 am Um, if you're fatigued, can't you just book off? What kind of companies are you guys working at that you can't book off if fatigued. Or is it something else that you prevents you from making the safe decision?
Hey John, ask Encore guys what happens if they book off for fatigue.

That might explain why Canada needs updated FTDT regs.

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

Nothing says "well rested" like sitting upright while hanging from a 5-point harness.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Are you an idiot, or just naive?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

You are rostered to be on reserve, from 2 PM to 2 AM. You woke up at 9 AM that day, after 9 hours of excellent sleep.
At 3PM you get a call, stating that you are scheduled to do 2 legs that evening. A domestic leg of one hour, a 7PM, then a 7 hour international leg at 11PM.
Your show time is 6PM. You are fit and well rested. You do your 7PM flight, block in at 0830PM.
There is an aircraft change for your second flight. You get to your gate at 0930PM and the aircraft is not there. It arrives at 1120PM, but must deplane and groom.
You eventually push back at 0030AM, 90 minutes late.

You land at your oversees destination at 0730 (local time at your home base). You have been on duty 13 hours and 30 minutes. You have been awake 22 hours and 30 minutes.

At what point in this scenario do you book off because you feel fatigued ?

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Greenbastard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Greenbastard »

Don’t engage Weedpro, waste of your time. Absolute embarrassment!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Greenbastard wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:04 pm Don’t engage Weedpro, waste of your time. Absolute embarrassment!
Probably the best advice on here. I've tried to have meaningful respectful dialog with him but he just deflects and refuses to answer the question when cornered. Embarrassment is right!

Return to “WestJet”