Summer Storms

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Summer Storms

Post by complexintentions »

FICU wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 pmDo you disagree that the majority of runway excursions due to landing, usually ill-advised, in severe convective weather occur in SE Asia?
What a facile argument to try and support your obvious attempt to denigrate Asian carriers. Can't really track the motivation, I assume it's to try and make some point about how superior western pilots are?

How about this: do you disagree that the majority of runway excursions due to landing, usually ill-advised, on runways contaminated by ice, snow, and slush occur in Canada and other countries with similar climates?

The point is only that every part of the globe has its risks. I'd be willing to bet that given the exponentially higher number of aircraft movements in places outside the relative backwater of Canada that the per capita number of incidents is actually higher in the Great White North.

Sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative. But if some Asian guy showed up and started sneering at the beginning of winter about the impending rash of incident reports about to be filed about airplanes sliding off frozen runways - as they are, every year - you'd probably have a better understanding of how ignorant your remarks come across as.
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Hey FICU,

How many accidents -- just to pick one I've flown on -- has Cathy Pacific had?
Last I heard they were a major Southeast Asia based carrier.
How many has AC had?
Both large flag carriers.

Your bias is ignorant.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

complexintentions wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:39 pm
FICU wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 pmDo you disagree that the majority of runway excursions due to landing, usually ill-advised, in severe convective weather occur in SE Asia?
What a facile argument to try and support your obvious attempt to denigrate Asian carriers. Can't really track the motivation, I assume it's to try and make some point about how superior western pilots are?

Sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative. But if some Asian guy showed up and started sneering at the beginning of winter about the impending rash of incident reports about to be filed about airplanes sliding off frozen runways - as they are, every year...
Holy sensitive and defensive, do you fly in that part of the world by chance?... my post has nothing to do with who's better and is based on the volume of incidents and accidents as reported by AvHerald. If by chance some Asian made those remarks... I really wouldn't care if he could support it with a rash of reports of Canadian 705 jets skidding of runways into snow banks last winter.

Oh and I wouldn't put my family in the back of an Asian ULCC for all sorts of reasons.

Last edited by FICU on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:36 pm Hey FICU,

How many accidents -- just to pick one I've flown on -- has Cathy Pacific had?
Last I heard they were a major Southeast Asia based carrier.
How many has AC had?
Both large flag carriers.

Your bias is ignorant.
Considering my statement about excursions in severe convective weather my statement is based on fact.

FWIW I have flown Cathay to Nepal and would again. Look at the airlines that are having the problems with excursions... not the majors but the ULCCs primarily... culture, experience, training, pressure?

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:00 am First of all, if you are reading me being upset, far from it.

July 30th, 2016, YYC.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... windshield

I have no idea or interest in finding historical aviation data, but you may absolutely fill your boots mon ami.

S.
That article is from 2016 so I'm not sure what it has to do with this account or situation.

The reason I'm asking about where the hail was encountered is because you could have had an eastern arrival and a western arrival, or any number of combinations that would make one flight miss hail and another encounter it. The hail encounter could have been miles away from the arrival corridor.

Hail does not show up on weather radar but you can infer where it may exist.

Wind-shear does show up on radar and the SOP in every company world wide is go-around when wind-shear is detected. That is why I am saying that just because you feel wind-shear was present does not mean it was, in fact, present.

While I'm sure it was a challenging approach, no one wants to die on the job and I have faith that risks were assessed and monitored.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

FICU wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:10 pm
complexintentions wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative. But if some Asian guy showed up and started sneering at the beginning of winter about the impending rash of incident reports about to be filed about airplanes sliding off frozen runways - as they are, every year...
Holy sensitive and defensive, do you fly in that part of the world by chance?... my post has nothing to do with who's better and is based on the volume of incidents and accidents as reported by AvHerald. If by chance some Asian made those remarks... I really wouldn't care if he could support it with a rash of reports of Canadian 705 jets skidding of runways into snow banks last winter.

Oh and I wouldn't put my family in the back of an Asian ULCC for all sorts of reasons.
Flown in all parts of the world. Still do.

Basing your opinion on the "volume of incidents" as reported by AvHerald lol. Do you even understand the concept of scale or number of movements? Your data is irrelevant unless you measure it in like for like. A "rash" is not a number.

If ULCC's are so prone, what are AC and WestJet's excuse when they go for little offroading excursions? Please don't make me pull up the plentiful examples, you'll just embarrass yourself further.

Not defensive, unless you count defending a bit of f$cking logic. Don't really know why I waste the time.

Don't think I will anymore on this thread. Cheers! :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I'm trying to think of Cathy or Singapore or Eva air almost landing on a taxiway full of of other aircraft.
Oh that happened on this side of the pond.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

complexintentions wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 am Not defensive, unless you count defending a bit of f$cking logic. Don't really know why I waste the time.

Don't think I will anymore on this thread. Cheers! :mrgreen:
I guess you did waste your time or maybe you had to show us the in the "relative backwater of Canada" how you expats are so much better at dealing with CBs in and around airports? The wx in the OPs post was CBs and hail on the field with moderate to severe turbulence. You said that in your part of the world approaches are conducted everyday in the same or worse wx which coincides with the amount of reported runway excursions that I mentioned.
but there are countless approaches and landings made every single day for months on end in conditions similar or worse to the one in the original post.
Freaky CBs over YZF this morning topped at 40K feet. Lightning and hail on the field so guess what I did... slowed down, did a big orbit about 30 miles south over a clear Great Slave Lake and waited for the CBs to pass over the airport. Then conducted a visual approach in fine conditions. I'm sure my pax were happy I didn't decide to run it in like drivers in your part of the world seem prone to doing.

Have a great weekend!

yousoundfoolish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yousoundfoolish »

FICU

I am a long time lurker but finally created an account just to reply to you. There is a lot of idiocy on these forums but your last one takes the cake. Speak not of what you don’t know.

Next time I’m in HKG, BKK or SIN I’ll ask them if we can just do some orbits while we wait for storms to pass. Will only need to do orbits from around May-Nov while we wait!

I think you might have waded a bit out of your depth here. The first indication is that you’ve described anything that happens in YZF as severe connective activity. That’s a big LOL.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Freaky CBs over YZF this morning topped at 40K feet.
In the ITCZ that would be only half developed.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

yousoundfoolish wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 am FICU

I am a long time lurker but finally created an account just to reply to you. There is a lot of idiocy on these forums but your last one takes the cake. Speak not of what you don’t know.

Next time I’m in HKG, BKK or SIN I’ll ask them if we can just do some orbits while we wait for storms to pass. Will only need to do orbits from around May-Nov while we wait!

I think you might have waded a bit out of your depth here. The first indication is that you’ve described anything that happens in YZF as severe connective activity. That’s a big LOL.
Drawing the storm expert expats out of the woodwork am I?

Haha... welcome but I think you're wasting your time. If you are going to do an approach into a thunderstorm with hail and severe turbulence because you are afraid to hold or divert... say no more!

FWIW on more than one occasion I have flown into Hong Kong, Japan, Russia, a bit of Europe, South and Central America, Mexico, the Caribbean, and all over the US... and yes, during storm season.

I think you made the misjudgement. :lol:

BTW... severe wx does happen in and around YZF, they even get occasional hail! :roll:

Cya!

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

That didn't take long... 4 days later and Xiamen attempts 2 landings in +TSRA with the expected runway excursion.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4bc70caa&opt=0

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Are people really on here saying attempting an approach on +TSRA is a good idea?

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

kinda off topic but going back to a couple other posts but are they shifting left seat Q400 guys to left seat swoop? did I read that correctly?

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Not currently, but who knows in the future. I’m guessing if managements gets what they want (their published super low pay and crappy work conditions) then Swoop will go very junior. Hopefully Mr. Kaplan rules sometime in September one way or the other so we can all move on.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

FICU wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 pm
Freaky CBs over YZF this morning topped at 40K feet. Lightning and hail on the field so guess what I did... slowed down, did a big orbit about 30 miles south over a clear Great Slave Lake and waited for the CBs to pass over the airport. Then conducted a visual approach in fine conditions. I'm sure my pax were happy I didn't decide to run it in like drivers in your part of the world seem prone to doing.

Have a great weekend!
Exact right thing to do.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Don't worry. Winter is coming, and then AvHerald will be "pumping out" the incidents of Canadian carriers departing runways.

Same as it ever was! :mrgreen:

Return to “WestJet”