We've arrived early ... but ...

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

duele

We've arrived early ... but ...

Post by duele »

Hey everyone,

I've noticed a couple times this year the following post-landing announcement on WestJet flights:

"Well, good news, we have arrived early, about 10 minutes ahead of schedule."

*waits for cheers and applause*

"Unfortunately we are going to have to wait a few minutes as the gate is still occupied (or) the ground crew isn't here yet."

*passengers get off the plane no earlier than scheduled*

Just from a passenger's perspective, I don't think anyone cares if we landed early if it doesn't mean we're getting off the plane early. I know the ground wait isn't the pilots' fault, but it is super lame to point out we're early when we're gonna wait just the same. Sitting on the ground at the gate is the worst part, so it's not exciting to hear we are "early" but just have to be patient now.

Just an observation
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by duele on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: We've arrived early ... but ...

Post by cloak »

What you say is true that waiting at the end of the flight is very annoying when you know you can get on with things, at the same time, perhaps the pilots mean to say that as they have arrived early, sometimes not always, they have to wait for their gate, so meaning you won’t be late but still on time, and it happens with all airlines...plus most times it’s airports’ gate assignment, etc.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I always took it as a way of keeping the pitch forks down and the people with their panicked “tight” connections from thinking they are going to be late and miss it.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

So after traveling 2000nm with 174 passengers, you stop short 100ft from your destination. You think it's better NOT to inform the passengers of the reason?

Thanks lol

duele

Post by duele »

I appreciate the above. What I specifically don't like is when they clearly make it a point that we have just arrived early, and then once that is settled, it's mentioned that oh we're gonna sit here for 20 minutes.

Last edited by duele on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tacoma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tacoma »

Cost saving initiative ball dropped. Submit those post flight reports!

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

duele wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 pm I appreciate the above. What I specifically don't like is when they clearly make it a point that we have just arrived early, and then once that is settled, it's mentioned that oh we're gonna sit here for 20 minutes.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Just another troll PPL :roll:

duele

Post by duele »

Yep haha. My medical has long expired though so I'm more of just a troll I think.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Annnd!! What is the deal with airline peanuts!!?

Time to go Greyhound, Duele.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Yup, I've been here 15 years and never liked the announcement just as soon as we cleared the runway, "...bringing us in 7 minutes early...". "Early" is when we arrive at the gate early, as others have pointed out. It's one of those nuisance things, like pilots broadcasting "...conflicting traffic please advise...".

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

While on the subject of nitpicking...

Can we please stop saying "sit back, relax, and enjoy the WestJet hospitality!" - It's terribly cliché.

In case you haven't noticed, there is no more "sitting back". There is no "relaxing". Everyone is sitting upright, tightly packed, and stuck listening to babies crying, dogs barking, and some FA speed talking her announcement in French (which is almost always atrocious). That's not relaxing, that's a test of endurance.

And as far as "enjoying" that famous hospitality, it's been hit or miss lately.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Actually, you raise a great point. What’s with the speed talking in french? Mine isn’t great, but I don’t speed talk it and thus destroy the language. Is it a university thing, speed French talking?

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

My guess is they speed talk it because they know 99% of the passengers aren't uni-lingual french speakers.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Mr. North wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:31 pm
Agree.

As a frequent flier and as an investor, I think WJ has lost its way.

Launching a ULCC and buying 787's? I'm totally confused. Who are you?

Classic business mistake. Trying to serve all markets.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Mr. North wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:31 pm While on the subject of nitpicking...

Can we please stop saying "sit back, relax, and enjoy the WestJet hospitality!" - It's terribly cliché.

In case you haven't noticed, there is no more "sitting back". There is no "relaxing". Everyone is sitting upright, tightly packed, and stuck listening to babies crying, dogs barking, and some FA speed talking her announcement in French (which is almost always atrocious). That's not relaxing, that's a test of endurance.

I guess we have to stop failing new captains in the sim for failing to say the “sit back and relax” cliche eh?
Just kidding. But please Don’t blame everyone here for the hit or miss hospitality. Most of us here try our best. But there’s a few that ruin it for everyone with their negativity and constant complaining. The teal spirit isn’t dead. . . Yet.

duele

Post by duele »

I actually love to fly with WestJet by the way. I'm just complaining. WestJet is still friendly and always tries to help out, which is a stark contrast to many other options in North America. I hope everything works out as I didn't realize all the internal issues going on until I started browsing this site.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

I think there is a lot of stuff we would like to stay but in the interest of not getting fired I will stick with “ sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight”.

They just took down a statue of Sir John A MacDonald, the first prime minister of this great country....careful what you say lol

Return to “WestJet”