WestJet might as well rebrand itself as Canadian

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

WestJet might as well rebrand itself as Canadian

Post by pianokeys »

A few months ago I posted that Greg (dont know why he needs an extra G) was a union busting loser and that I didnt understand the need for Swoop. Ive said it before in other discussions off the internet, I dont get the point of Swoop.

But now seeing all these new ads for the 787 and the new first class, premium economy, loyalty programs, livery, etc... this is a total restructuring of WestJet. I mean, the ads themselves say "Welcome to the NEW WestJet." This isnt some conspiracy but I really think that WestJet wanted to compete with Big Red on the same playing field. You have a large chunk of the market if you are one class and one level of service, but you miss out on a whole other untapped area, premium and first class.

The flying public has learned to trust the little airline that could over the last twenty or so years, and its no surprise WS management didnt want to tarnish the good WS name with the likes of nickle and dimming for overhead bin use, snacks, and 100cc of ginger ale. Thats for Swoop to do, it can take the ULCC joke like Spirit, Ryanair, and Allegiant leaving the WestJet name untouched. And added bonus, you get to squeeze the last 0.5 hour out of those 737NGs. You cant compete with AC by offering first class but at the same time having 28 inch pitch TVless seats in the back. I think Swoop is designed to be the old WestJet, and WestJet is redesigned to be a new, legacy like carrier which is a total departure from their old MO. Theyre no longer a LCC. Theyre basically Canadian 2.0, I mean, sheeeeeeeit, their tail logo is half reminiscent of the old motion mark.
---------- ADS -----------

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: WestJet might as well rebrand itself as Canadian

Post by Hangry »

Well hello Captain Obvious. I thought you only did commercials.

WJ hasn’t been an LCC for a very long time.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Hangry wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:22 pm Well hello Captain Obvious. I thought you only did commercials.

WJ hasn’t been an LCC for a very long time.
Go eat.

Everyone knows WS hasnt been a LCC for a while but now its blatant, now its inarguable.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

pianokeys wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:19 pm A few months ago I posted that Greg (dont know why he needs an extra G) was a union busting loser and that I didnt understand the need for Swoop. Ive said it before in other discussions off the internet, I dont get the point of Swoop.

But now seeing all these new ads for the 787 and the new first class, premium economy, loyalty programs, livery, etc... this is a total restructuring of WestJet. I mean, the ads themselves say "Welcome to the NEW WestJet." This isnt some conspiracy but I really think that WestJet wanted to compete with Big Red on the same playing field. You have a large chunk of the market if you are one class and one level of service, but you miss out on a whole other untapped area, premium and first class.

The flying public has learned to trust the little airline that could over the last twenty or so years, and its no surprise WS management didnt want to tarnish the good WS name with the likes of nickle and dimming for overhead bin use, snacks, and 100cc of ginger ale. Thats for Swoop to do, it can take the ULCC joke like Spirit, Ryanair, and Allegiant leaving the WestJet name untouched. And added bonus, you get to squeeze the last 0.5 hour out of those 737NGs. You cant compete with AC by offering first class but at the same time having 28 inch pitch TVless seats in the back. I think Swoop is designed to be the old WestJet, and WestJet is redesigned to be a new, legacy like carrier which is a total departure from their old MO. Theyre no longer a LCC. Theyre basically Canadian 2.0, I mean, sheeeeeeeit, their tail logo is half reminiscent of the old motion mark.
My recollection of Canadian was that it was more of a competitor to Air Canada than Westjet has been in recent years. It'll be interesting to see the transition to a more international carrier, or if they are going to continue to act like a LCC at legacy carrier rates.

S.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Canadian could run a 767 operation.

eliteair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eliteair »

pianokeys wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:19 pm A few months ago I posted that Greg (dont know why he needs an extra G) was a union busting loser and that I didnt understand the need for Swoop. Ive said it before in other discussions off the internet, I dont get the point of Swoop.
So you're saying, despite the issues with the union, Gregg, (who was former VP at Canadian), had a plan and vision for WestJet, and actually knew what he was doing. We're all shocked. :lol:

https://blog.westjet.com/most-canadian- ... n-airline/

Attachments
WestJet-rebrands-as-Canada-Air-most-canadian-airline-624x327.jpg
WestJet-rebrands-as-Canada-Air-most-canadian-airline-624x327.jpg (31.39 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Business people still won't fly WJ. I know I won't. That is unless they change their FA training to be more professional and less "jokey" along with the pilots PAs.

Just cause there is a J class now means jack shot if no companies will fly with them. Too many people are long committed to the Aeroplan systemsystem.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Dry Guy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:18 pm Canadian could run a 767 operation.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:01 am Business people still won't fly WJ. I know I won't. That is unless they change their FA training to be more professional and less "jokey" along with the pilots PAs.

Just cause there is a J class now means jack shot if no companies will fly with them. Too many people are long committed to the Aeroplan systemsystem.
Obviously you haven't flown on them for a long time. That stopped years ago. You'll have to find another excuse.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

No it is the same. If I have a choice it is AC, not because I like AC but because I do not have to put up with the Westjetty bs for the same money.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

True North wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:30 pm
Lightchop wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:01 am Business people still won't fly WJ. I know I won't. That is unless they change their FA training to be more professional and less "jokey" along with the pilots PAs.

Obviously you haven't flown on them for a long time. That stopped years ago. You'll have to find another excuse.
I was on a flight with "capt woody" last week.

He has not stopped.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

I commuted across the country for a year on WJ. Recently.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

Donald wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:14 pm

I was on a flight with "capt woody" last week.

He has not stopped.
Woody is an absolute legend. Let him be.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Rebranding itself as another Canadian is not necessarily a bad thing for WestJet, as long as it doesn't keep losing money like it! Canadian was a "good" airline that was bad at making money. Whereas WestJet is usually good at making money, and with the creation of Swoop, a defensive move to keep the back door closed, should protect the mainline while it grows with joint ventures and overseas operation. WestJet is entering a market which has substantial room for growth and new opportunities for its staff.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

On the 737 it's W class, a premium economy fare. The intent is to attract business travellers who fly economy. At a 40% discount over AC J class, I think you'll see people vote with their wallets. WestJet wants to disrupt the J class market.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Is he the one who stands in the forward galley and does his PA encouraging pax to buy shares in WJ stock so he can retire earlier? Listening to that was a treat. :rolleyes:

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

FICU wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:11 pm
Is he the one who stands in the forward galley and does his PA encouraging pax to buy shares in WJ stock so he can retire earlier? Listening to that was a treat. :rolleyes:
That guy? Oh man he is something else.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

I’ve been at WestJet for 12 years and I have no idea who you’re talking about.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

RidersRule wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:45 pm I’ve been at WestJet for 12 years and I have no idea who you’re talking about.
A number of years ago I was deadheading and this guy stood in the galley with the mic looking at all of us to give his PA. At the end of it he urged us all to buy WJ stock so it would drive the price up so he could retire earlier. I was shocked to say the least.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

Yeah that’s a little strange. There is a few different ducks out there, that’s for sure. Every airline’s got them. I worked with a few at Jazz back in the day.

The guy who had flashing lights on his safety vest.

Or Johnny Five lol.

Good times.

Return to “WestJet”