some reading

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

countdown
Rank 1
Rank 1

some reading

Post by countdown »

---------- ADS -----------

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: some reading

Post by Mr. North »

pressure on pilot pay it is also a substantial headwind at a time when airlines are having a hard time raising revenues, especially coupled with rising fuel costs. The obvious solution is looking for alternatives.
While I dont doubt the pilot shortage will push the industry toward increasing automation, please spare me the age old BS about thin margins and rising fuel costs. Oil is trading at 50% what it was 5 years ago! Most airlines are enjoying increasing demand operating more efficient aircraft with high density seating. There are presently no economic headwinds like 9/11, SARS, or the '08 recession. Raising regional pay (to just above the poverty line) and offering small signing bonuses will not resolve an endemic problem that has been festering for decades. If a nation of 330 million can't find 65,000 pilot's by 2035, clearly they're not throwing enough money at the problem!!

And don't even get me started about her comments regarding pilot's and automation. What a load!!

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

So what do you propose the regionals should do to attract new pilots. I’m very certain a large portion of the problem is horrible pay...

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 pm So what do you propose the regionals should do to attract new pilots. I’m very certain a large portion of the problem is horrible pay...
Nothing, we don't need pilots anymore. Automation :roll:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It's important to keep the source in mind.
About
Payload Connector is the official blog of the Regional Air Cargo Carriers Association (RACCA) which has 56 member companies. RACCA represents and serves the interests our member Part 135 and Part 121 cargo carriers in the United States.
Of course they will say that. What else are they going to say? It represents and serves their interests.

They certainly aren't going to say that their member's revenues are at an all time high and they are rolling in cash... they aren't going to say that years of taking advantage of the labour market are over and that they are going to need to pay pilots more to collate with the responsibility, education, and experience requirements of such a demanding position.

Industry propaganda, nothing more.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

I would hope they figure out how to automate it in ‘30-50 years’, The current worldwide fleet of commercial aircraft seem unlikely to be automated, but the next generation I would expect will be built with that in mind. They probably won’t be burning jet A either.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!

Return to “WestJet”