Retirement Wave

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Retirement Wave

Post by GoHomeLeg »

What year will WestJet see a retirement wave like the one Air Canada is experiencing now?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Retirement Wave

Post by Bede »

The biggest peak is in 2037.

Arcticmonkey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Arcticmonkey »

That’s a long time to wait

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Arcticmonkey wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:23 pm That’s a long time to wait
The 'peak' retirements will be in 2037, meaning the largest age cohort of pilots at WJ at the moment is 47 years old. I can tell you that there are plenty of pilots at mainline who are older than 47 though. So unlike AC where you saw just a trickle of retirements and then a massive wave, I think at WJ you'll see a more constant number of retirements slowly increasing each year between now and 2037. But if Bede has specific numbers he can probably provide a more accurate comment.

Arcticmonkey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Arcticmonkey »

I know what it means.

So for somebody starting today with every WestJet FO and Swoop pilot ahead of them going back to 2010 waiting for a captain spot and possibly every Encore pilot ahead of them too, and a company that isn’t expanading very fast it will probably be until 2037 or very close to it that until they see left seat.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Arcticmonkey wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:59 pm I know what it means.

So for somebody starting today with every WestJet FO and Swoop pilot ahead of them going back to 2010 waiting for a captain spot and possibly every Encore pilot ahead of them too, and a company that isn’t expanading very fast it will probably be until 2037 or very close to it that until they see left seat.
Never suggested that you didn't know what it means. Was simply providing more information that my opinion based on observation is that there will be more gradual retirements than what is seen at AC. I disagree with your deductive reasoning with respect to time to upgrade but don't feel the need to try and convince you to re-submit your application.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Arcticmonkey wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:59 pm I know what it means.

So for somebody starting today with every WestJet FO and Swoop pilot ahead of them going back to 2010 waiting for a captain spot and possibly every Encore pilot ahead of them too, and a company that isn’t expanding very fast it will probably be until 2037 or very close to it that until they see left seat.
Are there any Canadian Airlines pilots around that can tell us how long the upgrade time was at CDN?

This is starting to look familiar...

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say previous numbers and calculations will likely improve in a short while. Once the deal with ONEX and joint venture with Delta are finalized, there will be significant growth. For pilots, this growth will likely be in long haul and Swoop. Upgrade times will likely drop significantly. If one is to seek growth opportunities with this momentum, one will live a long career and prosper. More importantly, the focus should not be so much on a "destination", rather on the "journey".

musicalpilotchairs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by musicalpilotchairs »

I wouldn’t count on too many retirements due to the senior pilots getting screwed on the arbitrated contract.
Many will have to work longer now.

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

We have so few retirements that generally when someone does hang it up, you know them by name.

Reason being the company is only ~23 years old. Some of the top pages of the seniority list were 25-35 when they were hired. Doing that math, say a 30 year old guy was hired in 1999 + 20 years of WJ, and that guy is "only" 50, with another 10-15 more years if he wants it. There is not going to be that wave of retirements that AC is experiencing or many US carriers are going to have as the seniority list really isn't spread out age-wise from 23-65 like Big Red. We do have some older folks here, but it seems like almost everyone I fly with is in their 30s, 40s, or low 50s. Then factor in the 737 fleet is stagnating and you'll be behind ~2000 pilots (including all the Encore and Swoop folks). Upgrades are going to take a while here....although if we do start taking more 787s things could pick up. Enjoy the ride!

Return to “WestJet”