Swoop interview

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Swoop interview

Post by timeflies »

delete
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by timeflies on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Swoop interview

Post by goingnowherefast »

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Sigh.....

There is a shortage and there are so many better places to apply. It’s like beating a dead horse. I am assuming you have quite low time, or you are looking to get a DEC position. If you are neither of these then maybe you are a masochist. A year in and it is still....
Poor pay, only control of your Sched is bidding 10 days off (awarded by seniority), the uniform has improved from grey janitors shirt to white (still working on the tie, they’re so expensive ya know). 90 hour OT trigger, duty/fatigue mitigation is similar to northern 704 operators,etc,etc. There are so many other places to direct your attention to.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

I also notice you live in YLW-no jumpseat agreements (I think at this point just for spite by now) can’t fly standby on your own airline (but you can on WestJet-go figure), you will get non-commuting Sched’s (stranded reserve days, pairings start with 6am report-finish with midnight).

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

They do have a medical portion now but it’s one dude with a lab coat and he tosses a bar of soap and times how long it takes for you to bend over to pick it up.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

delete

Last edited by timeflies on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

timeflies wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:11 pm I dont get all the judgements towards swoop and on the people that ask questions about their process.. what if someone needs to be in hamilton/edmonton for personal reasons, if one need a 737 job for a specific reason etc. I understand it may not be favorable to the WJ pilot group but don't forget this industry is business.

now if one has some more infos on the interview process feel free to pm.

Clear skies to all and thanks !!
Que Swoopstar.....

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Going to swoop for the free type rating and 500hrs on type so you can go overseas for 4x the money?

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

If you need to be in Edmonton and fly a 737 try Canadian North...

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

timeflies,

Good points and observations. Admittedly no job is for everyone, rather one must make the decision for oneself based on the prevalent conditions in one's life, and presumably you have done that and are asking for pointers regarding the interview process at Swoop, and NOT whether or not to do it. Unfortunately, you have not received much help! Unfortunately again I don't have much details either, except generally speaking an interview processes is about weighing your experience and possibly sharing them in instances where you felt you went above and beyond, or you learnt something, or you would do things differently, etc. Also perhaps what you know about the company and its visions and plans, etc. and how you fit in with them. Of course any interview is also an opportunity for the candidate to determine whether or not it is a good fit. Outside the WestJet group, Swoop seems to be attracting pilots from a range of places including Sunwing, Sky, returning expats, and other smaller airlines. This is understandable since Swoop being a part of WestJet group with carried over years of service will be attractive. At any rate, your steadfastness in the face of some antagonism is noteworthy and good luck!

hifliers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hifliers »

Don't know about the interview process, but last time there was a position bid, all pilots wanted to get out of swoop to go back to mainline. Please do your homework. The whistleblower hotline was activated due to unsafe practises with regard to scheduling. Unless you want a 737 ppc to go somewhere else quickly, do not go there.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room!
redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

You have a class one instructor rating why go to the airlines? Or are you just curious

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D

Return to “WestJet”