WS jumpseat question

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

WS jumpseat question

Post by mijbil »

Good day WS jump seat committee reps,

I am transitioning between companies. There is an opportunity to head back to base camp (home) for a quick spell due to the structure of the ground school at the new company, vice parked in the hotel for an extended period waiting for sims to start. As I am no longer at the old company and 'on the line', I cannot say that I am 'actively employed' according to the WS jumpseat definition. With training at the new outfit I am VERY EMPLOYED (GS, sims, etc) - but not line flying - yet. According to the WS agreement, I cannot list under the JS agreement until the line check is passed. With other carriers, AC for example, there is no such distinction. For my purposes, WS works better to get back home vice AC and other smaller carriers. I am curious as to the reasoning of WS for restricting JS privileges to only those who have passed their LC.

On a related sidebar note, does anyone know why TC is against developing a Candian CASS program for jump seaters, or better yet, integrating into the American CASS program, for crossborder continental J/S opportunities as a possible backup option (at Captain's discretion) when loads are tight?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: WS jumpseat question

Post by Bede »

mijbil wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:46 pm On a related sidebar note, does anyone know why TC is against developing a Candian CASS program for jump seaters, or better yet, integrating into the American CASS program, for crossborder continental J/S opportunities as a possible backup option (at Captain's discretion) when loads are tight?
We actually have that but it's up to the company's to implement, but no one has.

I can't find the reference right now though.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I know there are a few commuters that chose to go home during initial sim and use WJ: Be very careful. That rule is enforced by some WJ gate agents and the penalty for using the JS before LC is completed is severe: they can ban you for 1-2 years and even thought it's pretty rare, some agents do check for PPC stickers.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

I'm not rolling the dice on using the JS prior to LC and end up screwing it up for everyone else that uses the JS privilege to get to and from work, but I am still curious as to the reasoning at WS behind not being able to JS until line check complete. Once you are done sim, you have a PPC and it says so in your book, at least in handwriting. The sticker itself....well the (lack of) speed that TC has in getting those out the door is another thread all on its own. Let's leave that one alone. Back to the prime question: Once the PPC is done, you are operating on a revenue flight as crew even during LC, so why the restriction? Other carriers don't seem to have laid it out in such detail and say that you must be on active status or similar wording.
I commute so for me, this - temporary - restriction is one more pebble on the "retire sooner" side of the calculus.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Is it only certain companies that westjet has this restriction for? When I started at Jazz I didn't have AC passes for 6 months so I was commuting only on WestJet, definitely before my LC too and I've never heard of this

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

After you have your ppc and have a sticker or signature in your book how would the gate agents ever find out you haven’t done your line check?

Tdicommuter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tdicommuter »

If you are already grumbling about work conditions during initial maybe you should have stayed put where you were before.
Short term pain...long term gain comes to mind.
The reason you can't be listed for jump seat is the way you can commute for free ( AC does not have this) is you must be able to work the flight if needed. Correct me if I am wrong but you are not qualified to do so until you have passed the line check.
If you really wanted to go home book jump on Air Canada.

Retire right now if you want. Something tells me WestJet will continue to operate just fine without you.

One final note... Union reps are typically the ones who field these questions... Not public forums.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Tdicommuter wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 am If you are already grumbling about work conditions during initial maybe you should have stayed put where you were before.
Short term pain...long term gain comes to mind.
The reason you can't be listed for jump seat is the way you can commute for free ( AC does not have this) is you must be able to work the flight if needed. Correct me if I am wrong but you are not qualified to do so until you have passed the line check.
If you really wanted to go home book jump on Air Canada.

Retire right now if you want. Something tells me WestJet will continue to operate just fine without you.

One final note... Union reps are typically the ones who field these questions... Not public forums.
Uhhhh I’m pretty sure they are taking reciprocal jumpseat not as an employee.

Return to “WestJet”