2020 Hiring

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

2020 Hiring

Post by DaveP »

Just a quick update for the 2020 numbers. (This is purely WestJet mainline)

288 new hires with roughly courses of between 16 and 12 with some being 20. 180 to be brought onboard before June.

If anyone in the Toronto area wants more detail - we have an open house coming up in early November at spectrum for Encore. There will be flight operations recruiters and representatives from both companies there if you prefer to ask any questions in person.

Take care
Dave

Sure is a great time to be a pilot with all this industry hiring going on!

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/westjet-and ... ent_button
---------- ADS -----------

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 2020 Hiring

Post by tbayav8er »

Thanks for the update! Is there any sense as to how many might come from Encore?

Thanks again!

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi there
We will take as many as they can give us!
With that hiring will be robust at Encore as well.
Take care
Dave

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

Hi Dave -

Thanks for the update!

How many internal movements will that hiring generate (ie B737 FO-to-Captain upgrades or 737 FO/ CA to widebody FO / CA slots). Is every newhire essentially replacing a 737 FO who upgraded / transitioned? Or is it a lesser number.

Glad to see some movement on the most recent two bids.

Last edited by WestJet Puke on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

Double post

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

How long is the transfer from YYZ to YYC?

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

yycinformer wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:38 am How long is the transfer from YYZ to YYC?

Rough numbers, on the Captain side, more than 13 years, and for FOs, more than 2 years. Recently a bunch of FOs have found people in YYC who want YYZ to do base trades with. YYC has become the senior base for FOs, when it used to be YVR, just because there haven't been openings there.

Hopefully with the growth that Dave P mentioned there will be opportunities for people to get there. We have a ton of folks who commute from YYC and are eager to get back. Our most recent bid had some YYZ-based 737 Captains who live out west bid B787 or B767 FO spots (YYC-based).

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

I guess the reserve implementation is somehow related to the hiring

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Typically half seem to upgrade vs the final hiring number. Sometimes it’s just a hair more, sometimes a hair less but a good average is half (a mix of 737 and Dreamliner).

The hiring is due to a number of things - primarily fatigue and duty rules, reserve, growth (wide body and some 737), some attrition to retirements and some just trying a different path.

As for the bids back to YYC - I think it’s a safe bet to see more FO positions coming back to YYC and options for YVR fairly fast. Captains are still very slow to transfer back west from YYZ. Fingers crossed we see movement there soon!

There are some big movement bids coming for sure. I’m pretty excited actually about our future. The past couple years have indeed been tough on some, but I think we are rounding the corner to the straight stretch!

Take care
Dave

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

Hi, can anyone shed some light on the word going around that GGN will be flying for WJ in 2020? Thx

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

genetic jack hammer wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:13 am Hi, can anyone shed some light on the word going around that GGN will be flying for WJ in 2020? Thx
There’s a “new topic” button located on your screen.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Nice to know, thank you for the heads up.
Do you have any numbers for Encore ? Hire expectation, transfer from YYZ to YYC, upgrade time and flow for 2020?

Again thank you for taking the time!

M. Essaie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by M. Essaie »

For Dave P - a request for a little latitude with thread drift....

I and several other contractors do simulator instruction and examining for other airlines on the 737 and 777. All these airlines have the bulk of their instruction and about half of their PPCs done by outside contractors who are highly experienced former training captains - the motivation being entirely cost reduction when comparing the cost of these routine duties being done by their own line pilots.

Any chance we can find work at Westjet in the future? It would be nice to be involved in Canada again.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

M. Essaie wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:52 pm For Dave P - a request for a little latitude with thread drift....

I and several other contractors do simulator instruction and examining for other airlines on the 737 and 777. All these airlines have the bulk of their instruction and about half of their PPCs done by outside contractors who are highly experienced former training captains - the motivation being entirely cost reduction when comparing the cost of these routine duties being done by their own line pilots.

Any chance we can find work at Westjet in the future? It would be nice to be involved in Canada again.
Respectfully, the quality of in-house training at WestJet is far superior to any contract training I’ve had at other companies. I realize contracting is cheaper but there is a compromise made as outside instructors will never know the sops and unspoken traits and nuances of a company like an in-house.

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

I agree 100%.

No to outside training. Hit it on the head with understanding nuances.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

I'd have to agree that, no disrespect, it is pretty arrogant to promote contractors for training simply because it'd be nice to be involved in Canada again! Why not go to flight safety or CAE to do that?! And to be entirely honest, WestJet training cost is not that high and its quality is very good to be changed.

As for people giving numbers and predictions, all of that is subject to change shortly. The pendulum may be about to swing a bit back from the big bad red! Simply because WestJet is just starting its long haul fleet, plus there will be expansion at Swoop. If the union is smart and diplomatic, it can make good gains. WestJet may soon find itself in a position that it must be able to attract experienced talent directly.

Last edited by cloak on Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SterlingCooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SterlingCooper »

I’ve heard plenty of conflicting information about OTS hiring in regards to seniority if hired directly to WestJet without a stint at Encore.

If hired tomorrow with a Wj seniority number, are new pilots behind every Encore pilot hired before them? Just the pilots hired prior to the infamous NO OneList vote? Does this apply to all aspects of seniority?
Cheers

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

SterlingCooper wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:36 am I’ve heard plenty of conflicting information about OTS hiring in regards to seniority if hired directly to WestJet without a stint at Encore.

If hired tomorrow with a Wj seniority number, are new pilots behind every Encore pilot hired before them? Just the pilots hired prior to the infamous NO OneList vote? Does this apply to all aspects of seniority?
Cheers
It's all up in the air, but I'd be betting that yes you would be behind previously hired Encore pilots. (Please no more thread drift).

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

What's your favourite headset?

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

I suspect these numbers could fluctuate greatly in the next few months.
Sure the Onex take over could lead to fairly rapid growth. However, depending on how several contract issues are handled (YOS implementation, Pension/ESP replacement) there could be a significant exodus of FO’s and junior captains.
Aside for the top 5-10% it’s an extremely unhappy group and I suspect many have updated resumes addressed to AC ready to go.

Return to “WestJet”