Westjet Delta JV

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Westjet Delta JV

Post by derateNO »

Ok that makes more sense. Delta is trying to do what AC is doing. Get Canadians to go to the USA to fly overseas. The only problem I see with that is often that means 2 connections. Whereas AC is able to access a lot of the large markets with direct flight to YYR/YYZ/YUL and funnel overseas so it works well.

Time will tell if people go for it. At the end of the day 99% of customers care only about price so it will need to be competitive.
---------- ADS -----------

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

And here we are now, March 23, 2020 and the real question is: how many jobs will be left after the virus is defeated (IF) and how long will it take to get back to square "1"?

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

And when you get there, will Delta still exist ??

chromeuser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chromeuser »

Longtimer wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:45 pm And here we are now, March 23, 2020 and the real question is: how many jobs will be left after the virus is defeated (IF) and how long will it take to get back to square "1"?
The virus will be defeated. There is no doubt about that. This will be a long drawn out recovery...this pandemic is of a scale that is new to the smaller modern world with intertwined markets and economies. The situation is fluid and changing everyday.

Survival mode is the name of the game now. With that in mind, it will be atleast a year imho. Minimum.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

derateNO wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:38 pm As they should.

I don't want to see WJ pilots doing what used to be Delta flying for 1/5th the cost.
It's humbling to discover that now your previous skills are worth 1/5 the cost of what WJ was paying you to drive for Uber. :lol:

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

altiplano wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:22 am I don't see cabotage there...

SEA-JFK via YYZ?

You could do that whole trip on an American or Canadian carrier or a combination of. That's all 3rd and 4th freedom stuff...

Cabotage would be AC operating SEA-JFK direct.
Cabotage is a Canadian airline selling a seat to a passenger from point A to point B, both of which are in the USA. Non stop, or one stop, it doesn't matter. It's not allowed.

You can book both legs separately (SEA-YYZ, YYZ-JFK), but not SEA-JFK.

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

At least now you can assume Swoop won’t take a bunch of the US trans border flying from you!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Would anyone on the inside care to comment on this. What does it mean for the future of Swoop? Why was it excluded? Was there any indication that ALPA was involved given both groups are represented by the same union? I'm not looking to incite any arguments just curious as to what the consensus is at this point.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

TheStig wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:27 am Would anyone on the inside care to comment on this. What does it mean for the future of Swoop? Why was it excluded? Was there any indication that ALPA was involved given both groups are represented by the same union? I'm not looking to incite any arguments just curious as to what the consensus is at this point.
Here is the DOT response and rational.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... -10-13.pdf

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

What does it mean for the future of Swoop? Why was it excluded?
Reading the Order from the US DOT, it sounds like they like the idea of the potentially aggressive ULCC competition Swoop would bring to the transborder market, and they feel that including Swoop in the joint venture could negatively impact its growth.

tl:dr -> They (US gov) like Swoop, and feel it will grow better outside this JV

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Airbrake, thanks for sharing that link, there was a lot of interesting information in there. I knew the YYZ-LGA was big, but I had no idea it was that big! That Swoop was set up to be completely separate from Westjet certainly has it's positives and negatives but doesn't lend itself to joint ventures and you can see why it was excluded. I can't imagine that Delta loves the idea that their partner has a separate revenue stream outside of the arrangement.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

Will Swoop be doing any of USA work or just Caribbean Flights for Westjet due to Delta? They will do good in Caribbean I would think...

https://westernaviationnews.com/2020/10 ... p-toronto/

spinaxis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by spinaxis »

Wasn't there a mass protest across Canada today about the Swoop YYZ flying?

No one should be talking about how "good" Swoop may do here or there. It's just like Rouge, belongs in the trash bin and only continues to help devalue our profession.

Sad.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

I assume you don't work for Swoop or Rouge?

Didn't see a mass protest just a press release as quoted in my post. Asked a simple question :goodman:

spinaxis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by spinaxis »

Spaceshuttle wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:49 pm I assume you don't work for Swoop or Rouge?

Didn't see a mass protest just a press release as quoted in my post. Asked a simple question :goodman:
Nope. By choice.

I think there was a protest today at a bunch of airport. No idea how well attended it was or if anyone even saw them since the airports are pretty dead these days.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

spinaxis wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:36 pm
Spaceshuttle wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:49 pm I assume you don't work for Swoop or Rouge?

Nope. By choice.

I think there was a protest today at a bunch of airport. No idea how well attended it was or if anyone even saw them since the airports are pretty dead these days.
There were informational pickets by ALPA at 3 airports today, YYZ, YYC, & YVR. For good reason as Swoop also operated 6 aircraft today, when the latest MOA clearly restricts them to 4 tails in Oct, 5 tails in Nov and then 6 tails until end of March.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

https://westernaviationnews.com/2020/10 ... nsion/?amp

I’d say from what I am hearing was about 50-75 in YYC & YVR. YYZ maybe around 100.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

Are they leasing or buying planes? I thought they had 4, how big can they grow?

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Spaceshuttle wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:12 pm Are they leasing or buying planes? I thought they had 4, how big can they grow?
They are limited to 4 tails in the month of October as part of an agreement that the union made with the company.

They still have one 737-800 on order with nine currently in the fleet.

Return to “WestJet”