Will Westjet survive?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Will Westjet survive?

Post by KAG »

NoSocks wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:56 pm
lostaviator wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:02 pm We only pretend to care. People can get on social media and declare they are never flying (insert airline name here) again, but we know that most of them will.... They have limited options. Someone has figured out that the money saved with this move exceeds the money lost as a result of out sourcing this work.

It sucks, and I feel for everyone affected.

Bet: Every remaining employee will be a member of a union within 6 months.
As one of those employees who isn't unionized and is waiting to know my fate...if I get brought back there is no way in HELL I'll vote for union.

Love how its working out for you guys... :rolleyes:
you're brain washed dude.
---------- ADS -----------

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

Bet: Every remaining employee will be a member of a union within 6 months.
[/quote]

As one of those employees who isn't unionized and is waiting to know my fate...if I get brought back there is no way in HELL I'll vote for union.

Love how its working out for you guys... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Ok this has to be the funniest post I’ve seen in awhile 😂

The person who is laid off, with no recall rights, and will never likely return, is beaking the unionized , employed , pilots about being unionized .

We suffice to say no - socks , The union is working out pretty good for us 🤣

*Shaking head * Sheeple

Just callin it like it is.
Woop_de_doo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Woop_de_doo »

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Remember that time the pilot’s tried to stop the outsourcing of WestJet jobs to people who were willing to do it for less? Remember when nobody else gave a sh!t because “hey the company is growing and they’re earning profit share for us!”

Well the shoe is on the other foot now. You and your pay and benefits are too expensive for us. We can outsource your job and get it done a lot cheaper. But hey that’s great because the company will save a lot of money and it’s really great for us. When you get rehired as a contractor you’ll be earning profit share for me. You know what else? My slice of pie is going to be a lot bigger because there’s 3300 less people at the table.

*I’m not actually this terrible, I just don’t see how people are not making this connection. Swoop was the proof of concept here.

I am confused, is Westjet outsourcing pilot jobs now while laying off it’s own crews? Or did Swoop cause the Coronavirus?

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

RRJetPilot wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:17 am Lots of foreign pilots out there looking for work...
Ah yes, the infamous foreign pilot boogeyman. I guess I should be quivering in my space boots at the very ring of their laughter. Accepting what ever working conditions and pay cuts which are offered to me rather than trying to improve my life. I wonder if the executives live in fear of being outsourced to India or China? Somehow, I doubt it. But I digress; I have always wondered where this army of foreign pilots is, because every time I talk to an expat pilot they have no desire to return to the glorious republic of Canukistan... with our 50%+ tax rates, low pay on the world stage and high costs of living. We are all charged the "being Canadian" tax any time we buy something. Just look at the back cover of a book for a good example. Even when the Canadian dollar was above the US dollar, we paid more for the same book in Canada. Why? Just because. No... I think I shall sleep soundly this night and all nights going forward, with no fear that the boogeyman is coming to take away my job.

Meanwhile, NoSocks should make use of his new salary or (hopefully) benefits to seek some counselling on his anger issues. Perhaps get to the root of the issues.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Okay children, let’s get back on track.

I’m not sure if it is as obvious to you as it is to me, but the laying off of the 3000 people was inevitable with the Onyx buyout. COVID 19 was only the perfectly timed excuse.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

But..But... Ed said that this was not planned before the pandemic! He said it several times so it must be true. :rolleyes:

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:19 pm Okay children, let’s get back on track.

I’m not sure if it is as obvious to you as it is to me, but the laying off of the 3000 people was inevitable with the Onyx buyout. COVID 19 was only the perfectly timed excuse.
Respectfully disagree. Pre-COVID the focus on On Time Performance and the expansion to Europe gave value to having in-house TAC and domestic CSAs despite the higher cost. In fact, the issues at some of the busier hubs with poor performance of Ground Handling were well known. However, with what will likely be a significantly smaller and more streamlined airline for the foreseeable future, lowest cost becomes an overriding factor.

If COVID hadn't happened there's no way of knowing if either of us is right or wrong. While I have no doubt the company is always considering various cost saving options, I don't believe that this was an inevitable outcome with Onex.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

JBI wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:02 pm
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:19 pm Okay children, let’s get back on track.

Respectfully disagree. Pre-COVID the focus on On Time Performance and the expansion to Europe gave value to having in-house TAC and domestic CSAs despite the higher cost. In fact, the issues at some of the busier hubs with poor performance of Ground Handling were well known. However, with what will likely be a significantly smaller and more streamlined airline for the foreseeable future, lowest cost becomes an overriding factor.

If COVID hadn't happened there's no way of knowing if either of us is right or wrong. While I have no doubt the company is always considering various cost saving options, I don't believe that this was an inevitable outcome with Onex.
You might very well be right.

All I know is that this was a conversation that was being discussed (by non management) well before a COVID. I do not know if it was only rumours or if it had any basis in fact.

NoSocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NoSocks »

sstaurus wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:31 am Management did their best to paint the pilots as the devil during negotiations and pit the rest of the employees against them. I think what we have here is an example of the brainwashing having its intended effect.
Management didn't try to paint pilots as the devil, ya'll did that when you lined the road on investors day. All that press scared off would be WJ flyers to our competition. Cost the organization millions. All for what? Seriously, what did the bottom 80% get out of this?

Calling me a bunch of names isn't very constructive and it just reinforces the narrative that the entire industry has of you. We succeed not because of you, rather in spite of you.

Sure, I may never work at WJ again, but ...it doesn't matter. I don't need 120 months of recall rights. I don't need that type of protection. I'm employable.

So I'll just sit here, collecting my max CEWS while working another gig waiting for my eventual layoff and 16 weeks severance, while your cohorts sit on EI praying for that call back.

...and I'm the sheep?!

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

JS?

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Hangry wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:32 pmJS?
Nope.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Ahhhh I see. Just someone with double your zeal and 1/5 your paycheque.

Makes sense

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

NoSocks wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm
sstaurus wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:31 am Management did their best to paint the pilots as the devil during negotiations and pit the rest of the employees against them. I think what we have here is an example of the brainwashing having its intended effect.
Management didn't try to paint pilots as the devil, ya'll did that when you lined the road on investors day. All that press scared off would be WJ flyers to our competition. Cost the organization millions. All for what? Seriously, what did the bottom 80% get out of this?

Calling me a bunch of names isn't very constructive and it just reinforces the narrative that the entire industry has of you. We succeed not because of you, rather in spite of you.

Sure, I may never work at WJ again, but ...it doesn't matter. I don't need 120 months of recall rights. I don't need that type of protection. I'm employable.

So I'll just sit here, collecting my max CEWS while working another gig waiting for my eventual layoff and 16 weeks severance, while your cohorts sit on EI praying for that call back.

...and I'm the sheep?!
The fact you think you are getting a severance as well is pretty funny.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Hangry wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:33 pm Ahhhh I see. Just someone with double your zeal and 1/5 your paycheque.

Makes sense
Well, people change, circumstances change, priorities change. Other than that, not much to discuss or debate about WJ. Survival is what matters right now and whether WJ does or not is a bet I wouldn’t know which side I’d be on.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

NoSocks wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm Management didn't try to paint pilots as the devil,
Yes, they did. Just look at your animosity. I'd say they were very effective.
NoSocks wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm ya'll did that when you lined the road on investors day.
I am genuinely curious about why you think the pilots did that picket? What, in your mind, was their motivation?
NoSocks wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm We succeed not because of you, rather in spite of you.
My exact thoughts about the board room... most companies succeed in-spite of those executives, not because of them. Putting that difference aside, I would like to know how you run an airline without pilots? I really want to hear how you would do that.
NoSocks wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm I'm employable.
What is your profession? Since you are ever so proud of it, why not enlighten the masses. Unless you have something to hide.
NoSocks wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm So I'll just sit here, collecting my max CEWS while working another gig waiting for my eventual layoff and 16 weeks severance
Are you saying that you are double dipping the government assistance while drawing a salary?

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

...and I'm the sheep?!

I'm employable...that's funny...we all are. Stop being a dick. Sure I have a skill set that outside aviation isnt directly transferable as let's be honest not to many other jobs are comparable to flying a plane. Not rocket science but not everyone can do it either.
As for not unionizing I was once anti union too, glad I signed a card...hows that working for you? If you were recalled after 6 months year 1 pay you would have gone. But instead they outsource your job, and you're still anti union....wow. yes you are a sheeple. I bet you're sympathetic to managements plight? Lol...get a life you fucking troll.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

Crusty wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm
NoSocks wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:43 am
lostaviator wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:22 pm Sure, whatever. I have 10 years to think about coming back to wj (if it lasts), retain my seniority, and not worry about my job being contracted out to Swissport. You are subject to the CLC and will probably never work for wj again. But hey, the union is horrible.
Remember when you guys almost bankrupted the airline over Swoop? And then...Swoop still launched and nobody got profit share?

Remember the time ya'll screwed over Encore (solidarity my brothers)?

Remember the time you fought for a 2.5% salary increase only to give it all back in union dues?

Remember the time ya'll stopped grooming and in turn made the FA's do it while ya'll watched?

....you're right...I may never work for WJ again. However, my skills are transferable. Yours aren't. In fact, I'm already working... I bet you're not ...but at least you have the union.

:roll:
Remember that time the pilot’s tried to stop the outsourcing of WestJet jobs to people who were willing to do it for less? Remember when nobody else gave a sh!t because “hey the company is growing and they’re earning profit share for us!”

Well the shoe is on the other foot now. You and your pay and benefits are too expensive for us. We can outsource your job and get it done a lot cheaper. But hey that’s great because the company will save a lot of money and it’s really great for us. When you get rehired as a contractor you’ll be earning profit share for me. You know what else? My slice of pie is going to be a lot bigger because there’s 3300 less people at the table.

*I’m not actually this terrible, I just don’t see how people are not making this connection. Swoop was the proof of concept here.
I just thought the bolded reply was so good, I posted it again for the benefit of No Socks. And the underlined part is the cherry on top.

NoSocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NoSocks »

Mach1 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:43 pm
NoSocks wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm So I'll just sit here, collecting my max CEWS while working another gig waiting for my eventual layoff and 16 weeks severance
Are you saying that you are double dipping the government assistance while drawing a salary?
I'm not collecting government assistance, WJ is. I get paycheck from WJ, not the government. Jeesus...and you're operating an aircraft?

NoSocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NoSocks »

WestJet Puke wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:23 pm
Crusty wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm
NoSocks wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:43 am

Remember when you guys almost bankrupted the airline over Swoop? And then...Swoop still launched and nobody got profit share?

Remember the time ya'll screwed over Encore (solidarity my brothers)?

Remember the time you fought for a 2.5% salary increase only to give it all back in union dues?

Remember the time ya'll stopped grooming and in turn made the FA's do it while ya'll watched?

....you're right...I may never work for WJ again. However, my skills are transferable. Yours aren't. In fact, I'm already working... I bet you're not ...but at least you have the union.

:roll:
Remember that time the pilot’s tried to stop the outsourcing of WestJet jobs to people who were willing to do it for less? Remember when nobody else gave a sh!t because “hey the company is growing and they’re earning profit share for us!”

I just thought the bolded reply was so good, I posted it again for the benefit of No Socks. And the underlined part is the cherry on top.

To actually believe you will ever see profit share again? Laughable.

NoSocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NoSocks »

KAG wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:00 pm

...and I'm the sheep?!

I'm employable...that's funny...we all are. Stop being a dick. Sure I have a skill set that outside aviation isnt directly transferable as let's be honest not to many other jobs are comparable to flying a plane. Not rocket science but not everyone can do it either.
As for not unionizing I was once anti union too, glad I signed a card...hows that working for you? If you were recalled after 6 months year 1 pay you would have gone. But instead they outsource your job, and you're still anti union....wow. yes you are a sheeple. I bet you're sympathetic to managements plight? Lol...get a life you fucking troll.
My job wasn't outsourced.

I'm sympathetic. Not just to the management, but to anyone who is going through both financial and career hardship.

Yup. Anti-Union. Your union is collecting union dues from members who are on CEWS! Scum. Complete Scum.

Return to “WestJet”