#Swoopprez Out!

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: #Swoopprez Out!

Post by Launchpad1 »

Exactly.

It's the international growth (787's) of WJ that's probably going to take a hit for a couple of years. The low cost part is probably going to see good growth figures.
---------- ADS -----------

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Launchpad1 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:40 pm Exactly.

It's the international growth (787's) of WJ that's probably going to take a hit for a couple of years. The low cost part is probably going to see good growth figures.
As long as there is cargo to move around the globe I'd rather think the 737 will take the hit.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

kiaszceski wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:02 pm

As long as there is cargo to move around the globe I'd rather think the 737 will take the hit.
Definitely sounds like a good time to be at Encore.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Good time to be at Encore? How so?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:23 am

Good time to be at Encore? How so?
Yea... How so? Because unless you are within the first half of people that got hire at Westjet, you'll probably end up on the CEWS and EI...

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

Anyone that is at Encore is very likely gone in the next month....plus half the jet folks.

Flight_Deck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flight_Deck »

Highly doubt it if there is an airline stimulus package that takes effect. The companies want to mitigate lay-offs at all costs and to implement the PTA will cost WestJet millions of dollars in training and retraining costs. Management will do everything in their power to not have to implement the PTA in my opinion. Plus when the industry spools up, I don’t think WestJet will want to be left in the dust by Air Canada. Not saying there won’t be any layoffs but all of Encore and half the jet pilots seems excessive and unrealistic. I’m sure there will be concessions to the contract that a high majority of the WestJet pilots will be okay with temporarily to allow the company to weather the storm and allow more pilots to hold onto their jobs.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Flight_Deck wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:58 am Highly doubt it if there is an airline stimulus package that takes effect. The companies want to mitigate lay-offs at all costs and to implement the PTA will cost WestJet millions of dollars in training and retraining costs. Management will do everything in their power to not have to implement the PTA in my opinion. Plus when the industry spools up, I don’t think WestJet will want to be left in the dust by Air Canada. Not saying there won’t be any layoffs but all of Encore and half the jet pilots seems excessive and unrealistic. I’m sure there will be concessions to the contract that a high majority of the WestJet pilots will be okay with temporarily to allow the company to weather the storm and allow more pilots to hold onto their jobs.
There cannot be concessions to the contract without the agreement of both parties. While mainline pilots were willing to allow concessions for April, the majority are not willing to allow concessions for an extended period.
Management is to blame this, they’ve always played hard ball when trying to adhere to the contract, they’ve tried to manipulate the contract at every turn and they’ve tried to circumvent the contract(Swoop).
The pilot group knows that if concessions are given they’re likely never returned in their entirety. They also know that when the next next CBA is being worked on our economy/industry will be in a worse place. The whole point of a CBA is to offer protection, there should be zero reason to give in to longer term concessions it’s not like we’re all making 500k a year a good chunk of the pilots barely make ends meat with 100% CBA compliance.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

As painful as it is right now, it is a lot more painful to hire and train new people once they need them.They stand to lose a lot of business while they spool up, once things improve on the health front. The wheels usually move slowly in big companies.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Low Cost Carriers depend on densification to keep fares down.

Who in their right mind wants to be crammed in a plane right now?

Prove me wrong but I see air travel being for the wealthy in the short to medium term.

We are years away from having this virus to a level where people are willing to be crammed together.

Hope I'm wrong but things have changed, dramatically

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

flashheart wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:57 am
We are years away from having this virus to a level where people are willing to be crammed together.

I doubt it. Only people who have seen close friends and family members suffer or die from the disease, will be weary and will want to distance themselves. For others it will pretty quickly be a distant memory.

That doens't mean people will want to fly right away, but that will mainly be for money reasons, not quarantaine/health reasons.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

Blue42 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Anyone that is at Encore is very likely gone in the next month....plus half the jet folks.
epitome of 2 pilots 3 opinions!

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

George Taylor wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:43 am Don't forget he wanted pilots to pay for coffee.
As long as the HQ gets 1 ply!

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Prove me wrong but I see air travel being for the wealthy in the short to medium term.

I’m pretty sure only if there was a government stipulation stating that there had to be a gap between passengers that this would be an issue.

With the cerb and possible mortgage delayed payments there’s a lot of people who won’t be any worse of financially than if they’d been working. They’re going to want to fly places as soon as possible.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Launchpad1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:50 pm

I’m pretty sure only if there was a government stipulation stating that there had to be a gap between passengers that this would be an issue.

With the cerb and possible mortgage delayed payments there’s a lot of people who won’t be any worse of financially than if they’d been working.

They’re going to want to fly places as soon as possible.
Wrong and wrong.
Delayed mortgages still need to be paid.
Do you have a vehicle payment?
Do you need to eat?
Is your credit card paid up?
Do you like heat and lights in your house?
Will you pay your property tax or fly somewhere as soon possible?
Will you pay your vehicle and or home insurance or fly somewhere as soon as possible?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Wait, are those rhetorical or do we have to answer them?

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

'97 Tercel wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:23 pm Wait, are those rhetorical or do we have to answer them?
Silly me.
I didn't ask what destination you wanted to fly to as soon as possible.
Please, the floor is yours.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

Canadians already have bad spending habits (high debt to income ratio, etc.)
So maybe it’ll be status quo and load up the credit card, go on vacation when this is all over anyway?
Airlines also might be having some sweet seat sales to get the momentum going too.
I was unfortunately laid off because of all this too, but the wife and I are in good shape, especially with EI/CERB and now the wage subsidy program. You can bet your a$$ when things open up again and we can fly, we’ll be the first to be eating out at local restaurants to support our economy and we’re taking a vacation - the one we were supposed to go on this week actually. We of course do not load up the credit card, that would make me a hypocrite!

And about the “being crammed” thing:
Define being crammed. Like does being on a 189 seat -800 (swoop, for the “not so wealthy” folks to paraphrase what was said above) or a 174 seat -800 make a difference? If you ask me it’s all the same $hit.
What about being on a 300+ seat 787? It’s all the same...
Or does a couple inches here and there actually make a difference in psychological comfort factor RE the virus when travel will be open again?

You ask who in their right mind wants to be crammed into an aircraft...
Will it be any different when restaurants/bars open and it’s a full house? All the same...

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

fishface wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:57 pm Canadians already have bad spending habits (high debt to income ratio, etc.)
So maybe it’ll be status quo and load up the credit card, go on vacation when this is all over anyway?
Airlines also might be having some sweet seat sales to get the momentum going too.
I was unfortunately laid off because of all this too, but the wife and I are in good shape, especially with EI/CERB and now the wage subsidy program. You can bet your a$$ when things open up again and we can fly, we’ll be the first to be eating out at local restaurants to support our economy and we’re taking a vacation - the one we were supposed to go on this week actually. We of course do not load up the credit card, that would make me a hypocrite!

And about the “being crammed” thing:
Define being crammed. Like does being on a 189 seat -800 (swoop, for the “not so wealthy” folks to paraphrase what was said above) or a 174 seat -800 make a difference? If you ask me it’s all the same $hit.
What about being on a 300+ seat 787? It’s all the same...
Or does a couple inches here and there actually make a difference in psychological comfort factor RE the virus when travel will be open again?

You ask who in their right mind wants to be crammed into an aircraft...
Will it be any different when restaurants/bars open and it’s a full house? All the same...
You and the wife are in good shape because of EI and CERB?

Unemployed and receiving government benefits puts you and yours in good shape?

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

You’re right, let me clarify.
We could live years with 0 income. The gov benefits help just that much more.

Return to “WestJet”