Sick Bank

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gswartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sick Bank

Post by gswartz »

I'm a laid off guy, just wondering what's happening with the sick bank program? As 120hrs is the max, are guys planning to use some of those hours prior to the New Year, or just prefer to forfeit them? I can tell you, my unused sick hours are useless to me right now. I can't use them, and I didn't receive anything for them during layoff. I wish I used more earlier in the year. Moral of the story: Use 'em or loose 'em.
What's your thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Sick Bank

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

At AC you carry half of your yearly allotment forward and it piles. You may need the hours when you are older etc. Who ever tells you to use em or lose them doesn't know the contract. Contact the union or read the sections on GDIP etc.

gswartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gswartz »

Who ever tells you to use em or lose them doesn't know the contract
I know the Westjet contract :wink:

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

At WJ you only carry over up to a maximum of 120 hours. Use it or Lose it.

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

Its hard to use sick bank when you only fly 1 or 2 pairings a month these days, although on the flip side, were getting great value for our bank.

The average duty day right now is min credit, so calling in sick, youre only dinged 4 hours a day. Heck if youve been hoarding sick time and have 100+ hours., you could take 10 days off at 4 hours a day and still barely make it under the threshold to not give up any of your 2021 allotment of new sick time.

Sarcasm of course

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

gswartz wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:32 pm I'm a laid off guy, just wondering what's happening with the sick bank program? As 120hrs is the max, are guys planning to use some of those hours prior to the New Year, or just prefer to forfeit them? I can tell you, my unused sick hours are useless to me right now. I can't use them, and I didn't receive anything for them during layoff. I wish I used more earlier in the year. Moral of the story: Use 'em or loose 'em.
What's your thoughts?
Lol. Talk about a fishing expedition....

gswartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gswartz »

Lol. Talk about a fishing expedition....
Oops, was it that obvious? Yes, I'm the company, fishing to see if we need to negotiate an LOU to deter pilots from all calling in sick over Xmas. Or, can we get away with keeping the worst sick time agreement in the industry. I see now it's clear that pilots are too scared to use their contractually awarded sick days at their discretion, so we'll leave it as is. Why pay for something that guys are willing to forfeit for free? Every hour of sick bank forfeited as of Jan 1st is a win for us, the company, since we negotiated other items in the CBA in exchange for your 54 hours per year.

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

First time in a few years now that I'll be taking Christmas off. Thank you to whomever negotiated this sick bank :supz:
A twelve hour 3 day makes for some great OT haha

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

:up: Wow, stabilizer...you're a total asshole!

Keep the dirty side down.
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I still don’t understand why the company desired to monetize the sick time. I had no incentive to use it up before, but now...

The least they could do is pay out half of the vanishing sick time. Split it with us...

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

stabilizer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:53 pm First time in a few years now that I'll be taking Christmas off. Thank you to whomever negotiated this sick bank :supz:
Just don’t be an idiot and get caught not being sick.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:55 am
stabilizer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:53 pm First time in a few years now that I'll be taking Christmas off. Thank you to whomever negotiated this sick bank :supz:
Just don’t be an idiot and get caught not being sick.
With covid I don’t think any company will call out someone for calling in sick because they can have pretty much any symptom and you should call in sick.

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

sstaurus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:20 am
The least they could do is pay out half of the vanishing sick time. Split it with us...
I like this idea...

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...

Return to “WestJet”