Swoop alum

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Swoop alum

Post by WestJet Puke »

---------- ADS -----------

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: tbaylx

Post by stabilizer »

WestJet Puke wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:36 pm Article attached

https://torontolife.com/city/life/weve- ... 0apartment
There's a lesson to be learned here kids......don't be a Scab or you'll end up living in a van.

citizenbanana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Swoop alum

Post by citizenbanana »

First off I am 35 years old. I am divorced. And I live in a van down by the river!

discountpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by discountpilot »

47 and 31...

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Its a small industry gentlemen, burning bridges and all. Carry on.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Could be worse. This is what happened to Jetsgo pilots: :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

tbaylx wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:02 am Its a small industry gentlemen, burning bridges and all. Carry on.
So very true.

There are those that burn bridges and those that jump from ship to ship to ship and do nothing but cause damage.

I'm still amazed how it only took 26 or so off the street hires to cause so much damage to this industry. Most are gone except for a few managers I think and it will take years to relieve the downward pressure of paltry earnings.

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

jjj wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:15 pm
tbaylx wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:02 am Its a small industry gentlemen, burning bridges and all. Carry on.
So very true.

There are those that burn bridges and those that jump from ship to ship to ship and do nothing but cause damage.

I'm still amazed how it only took 26 or so off the street hires to cause so much damage to this industry. Most are gone except for a few managers I think and it will take years to relieve the downward pressure of paltry earnings.
Truest words ever.

Between the article's subject, who is a Captain / Sim Instructor at Flair, and his FA girlfriend, they are **together** pulling in $153k.

A mid-level seniority AC or WJ FO would bring in that same amount.
Someone with tbaylx's experience, in a comparable position at AC or WJ (sim instructor, Captain) would probably be bringing in $200-250k, and that is not counting whatever your girlfriend bring in.

Please spare us that sob story that you were overseas and missed your calling. Within the last 2-3 years AC has brought on newhires with experience levels inferior to yours who are now playing key instructor pilot and managerial roles on the A220 and B737 Max-8 fleets.

Last edited by WestJet Puke on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

I know more than a handful of WJ FOs have exceeded 150-160k in their 3rd year on property.

Some 5th, 6th+ year FOs break 200k with OT.

But hey....if you want to make half that as Captain jumping from ship to ship.....thats cool too, i guess.

Back to the original article.....what rhymes with "inspiring van"? -------> hiring ban

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

discountpilot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:18 pm 47 and 31...
Are you implying that’s a bad thing?

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

47 + 31 = $78......the starting salary at the newest 737 Captain gig he's looking to move onto next

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

It’s rather sad though. Someone who is nearly 50 and has bounced from company to company to company and living in a van, employed at a company that could be gone next week. I don’t know what possessed someone to want to be featured in such an article.

Let’s Go Brandon
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:36 pm Could be worse. This is what happened to Jetsgo pilots: :lol:
Ironically enough, Mr Stokes is also ex-Jetsgo.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

This would be a lot funnier if there weren’t any mainline couples living in a van.........................................................................

Making less than 100k a year combined on wide body wages.........................................

And naïvely thinking their airline has any better chance of survival...........................

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

WestJet Puke wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:09 pm
So very true.

Truest words ever.

Between the article's subject, who is a Captain / Sim Instructor at Flair, and his FA girlfriend, they are **together** pulling in $153k.

Someone with tbaylx's experience, in a comparable position at AC or WJ (sim instructor, Captain) would probably be bringing in $200-250k, and that is not counting whatever your girlfriend bring in.

Please spare us that sob story that you were overseas and missed your calling. Within the last 2-3 years AC has brought on newhires with experience levels inferior to yours who are now playing key instructor pilot and managerial roles on the A220 and B737 Max-8 fleets.
In all fairness, that doesn't mean they were hiring everyone. I'd been trying for years to get on at AC and even WJ. Clearly, I was unsuccessful. While I don't live in a van, don't make the mistake of assuming he is because of where he works. Some people just prefer a simpler way of living. My wife wants to sell our YVR condo after it's value doubled, to buy a tiny home and live in the woods off grid with a jeep or rav4. Combined we make well over 200k with no debt other than the mortgage. So clearly our income isn't why she wants to live the way she wants.

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:38 pm It’s rather sad though. Someone who is nearly 50 and has bounced from company to company to company and living in a van, employed at a company that could be gone next week. I don’t know what possessed someone to want to be featured in such an article.
I don't know if you've looked around, but that could really be a lot of airlines in Canada right now. According to the pundits, that "company that might not be here in a week" was never going to survive when they first entered the ULCC game, let alone stick it out through the worst of the pandemic. Heck, even just recalled some pilots. So maybe we can get down from the perch and lower the nose a bit.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

So very true.

Well I guess if they are gone no one will take those positions and westjet will reclaim the flying! Who is Swoop getting to work for those low wages if they are gone? Who would be low enough to take those jobs?

Crazy times...

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Spaceshuttle wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:40 pm
So very true.

Well I guess if they are gone no one will take those positions and westjet will reclaim the flying! Who is Swoop getting to work for those low wages if they are gone? Who would be low enough to take those jobs?

Crazy times...

I see what you did there! And I like it. Well played.

discountpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by discountpilot »

Well when you're given the option of no job or Swoop, I can understand why people say yes. No different than this new Cargo LOU at AC. They will have no problem getting people to bid it. Which is why it's so important that unions sometimes do the thinking FOR the membership to save them from themselves. Most pilots in Canada are selfish, and look out only for themselves. So if they see the opportunity to be a CA early by going to Swoop or flying a 767F at 10% off, which is still a raise from their last position they will do it. The answer is never let that position come to fruition in the first place.

What I have no time for is those who choose to go down the road of Swoop, Rouge or Cargo flying and then complain about the working conditions. Just like I tell my friends who don't vote in political elections that they can't complain about shit if they couldn't even take the time to get out and vote.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

So very true.

Truest words ever.

Thanks for your concern about my financial well being. We chose not to share our accurate combined salary to avoid the online haters, forgetting about the Avcanada under bridge dwellers who hate because you don't make enough money. Your assumptions about both my current salary and position at Flair are incorrect. For what its worth I was offered and turned down a January 2019 AC course to stay at Flair and am very happy with that decision.

JJJ now that we're all gone from Swoop should be no issues shutting it down if only you all will do what was suggested we do and just not take the job, right? or is it somehow different when the shoe is painted teal?

discountpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by discountpilot »

tbaylx wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:17 pm

So very true.

Truest words ever.

Thanks for your concern about my financial well being. We chose not to share our accurate combined salary to avoid the online haters, forgetting about the Avcanada under bridge dwellers who hate because you don't make enough money. Your assumptions about both my current salary and position at Flair are incorrect. For what its worth I was offered and turned down a January 2019 AC course to stay at Flair and am very happy with that decision.

JJJ now that we're all gone from Swoop should be no issues shutting it down if only you all will do what was suggested we do and just not take the job, right? or is it somehow different when the shoe is painted teal?
Is that you in the article? I can't believe you are trying to justify coming in OTS to a Captain job that was owned (and proven as such by Kalplan) by WestJet pilots. The only reason they have to take those shitty jobs now is because underbridge dwellers like YOU (#vanlife) took the job and allowed them to spool up operations. If you can't understand that, I'm glad you turned down the job at AC because the less of your kind (people intent on lowering the bar) the better.

Last edited by discountpilot on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “WestJet”