Retirements at Westjet

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Spacedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Retirements at Westjet

Post by Spacedog »

Just wondering how many pilots will be retiring from Westjet and Air Canada in 2020 and 2021 ? Anyone have accurate info?
---------- ADS -----------

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Retirements at Westjet

Post by Mach1 »

Zero.

I don't think anyone ever leaves.

Last edited by Mach1 on Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

These are approx numbers just off the top of my head. And these are for AC.
2020 - About 220-240
2021- 100-120

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Westjet very few. Maybe less than 10 per year.
Not many forecasts are avaibale for WJ, but most have said in late 2020s, retirements would be noticeable.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

There are no retirements at WestJet, only early quitting. Although, many FAs equate retirement with lifetime reduced fare passes granted according to the combination of age plus years of service. They’ll say they can retire in two years but when you press them they admit they’ll still have to work, but they could “retire”. Sad really, how the company was able to adjust the definition of the word.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Since October’s pilot list update I have moved up 4 spots.
Not sure what caused them to leave but 4 have in possibly 2 months.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Airbrake wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:17 pm Since October’s pilot list update I have moved up 4 spots.
Not sure what caused them to leave but 4 have in possibly 2 months.

Weren't some pilots fired recently for posting negative comments/memes about Swoop on social media?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Four of them, but it's unlikely the union would remove them from the seniority list until the lawyers have run out of options. I have yet to see someone stay fired once the ALPA lawyers get involved.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

ahramin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:06 pm Four of them, but it's unlikely the union would remove them from the seniority list until the lawyers have run out of options. I have yet to see someone stay fired once the ALPA lawyers get involved.
Not at WestJet. There have been more terminations for cause under ALPA’s almost three years as employee representative than there were in the previous twenty under the WJPA. The pilots wanted a black and white contract, and they got black and white employee relations. Terminations have become easier and quicker under ALPA.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

ALPApolicy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 pm
ahramin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:06 pm Four of them, but it's unlikely the union would remove them from the seniority list until the lawyers have run out of options. I have yet to see someone stay fired once the ALPA lawyers get involved.
Not at WestJet. There have been more terminations for cause under ALPA’s almost three years as employee representative than there were in the previous twenty under the WJPA. The pilots wanted a black and white contract, and they got black and white employee relations. Terminations have become easier and quicker under ALPA.
Pilots? How many? I admit I've been living under a rock for the last 5 years but in that time I've only heard of 2 pilots getting fired from AC, WS, or TS.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

The four pilots were let go with cause for posting negative opinions about the company. In Canada, that is considered to be just cause.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Hopefully they get their jobs back. What an embarrassing excuse of an airline WestJet is becoming. From some of the best employee relations to this. It's embarrassing.

If they don't get their jobs back, hopefully the membership stands up to fight.

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

ZBBYLW wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:48 pm Hopefully they get their jobs back. What an embarrassing excuse of an airline WestJet is becoming. From some of the best employee relations to this. It's embarrassing.

If they don't get their jobs back, hopefully the membership stands up to fight.
In my experience If ya don’t know the full story best not judge anything so my question is do you know all the details? Please share :roll:

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

Back on topic.

Virtually no retirements at WJ. A few per year, but based on 1500ish pilots, it's incredibly low numbers.

It's pretty much work till you lose your medical, pass away, are fired, or become an "early quitter" to pursue another source of employment.

Sad really. It'll be worse now that any semblance of retirement savings have been missing for the majority of this year, unlikely to be returning in the short term. Expect to see many more "AR" Captains in the foreseeable future.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

stabilizer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:48 pm Back on topic.

Virtually no retirements at WJ. A few per year, but based on 1500ish pilots, it's incredibly low numbers.

It's pretty much work till you lose your medical, pass away, are fired, or become an "early quitter" to pursue another source of employment.

Sad really. It'll be worse now that any semblance of retirement savings have been missing for the majority of this year, unlikely to be returning in the short term. Expect to see many more "AR" Captains in the foreseeable future.
A) What is an “AR” captain?
B) millions of Canadians manage to save and retire on incomes the same or lower than even year 1 pay at major airlines so to say people have to work until they lose their medical perplexes me.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

fish4life wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:35 am
stabilizer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:48 pm Back on topic.

A) What is an “AR” captain?
B) millions of Canadians manage to save and retire on incomes the same or lower than even year 1 pay at major airlines so to say people have to work until they lose their medical perplexes me.
A) Assistance Required. I'm joking.... Age Restricted. It's the code for those 65+ who can only fly domestically.
B) It's called the LTD retirement plan. Losing your medical isn't exactly a hard thing to do in your 7th+ decade. I see our disability premiums increasing 100% every 2-3 years going forward unless something changes.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

ALPApolicy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 pm Not at WestJet. There have been more terminations for cause under ALPA’s almost three years as employee representative than there were in the previous twenty under the WJPA. The pilots wanted a black and white contract, and they got black and white employee relations. Terminations have become easier and quicker under ALPA.
That post aged well.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Mach1 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:46 pm
ALPApolicy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 pm Not at WestJet. There have been more terminations for cause under ALPA’s almost three years as employee representative than there were in the previous twenty under the WJPA. The pilots wanted a black and white contract, and they got black and white employee relations. Terminations have become easier and quicker under ALPA.
That post aged well.
In what sense? Everything I have seen re:ALPA has been good.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

imjustlurking wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:37 pm In what sense? Everything I have seen re:ALPA has been good.
Really? You didn't get the sarcasm? I guess I need to start labelling these things.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Mach1 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:43 pm
imjustlurking wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:37 pm In what sense? Everything I have seen re:ALPA has been good.
Really? You didn't get the sarcasm? I guess I need to start labelling these things.
Apparently doesn't communicate well through internet.

Return to “WestJet”