WestJet Dedicated Freighters

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

WestJet Dedicated Freighters

Post by Longtimer »

Westjet Cargo Announces Dedicated Freighters to Better Serve Canada
23 June 2021Canadian Aviation News
CALGARY, AB, June 23, 2021 /CNW/ – WestJet today announced that it is launching a new dedicated cargo service, using 737-800 Boeing Converted Freights (BCF), as dedicated aircraft, to fulfill the larger-scale needs of Canadian businesses, freight forwarders, shippers and individual customers. The first of these dedicated 737-800BCFs are expected to be in service by the second quarter of 2022.

(CNW Group/WESTJET, an Alberta Partnership)
(CNW Group/WESTJET, an Alberta Partnership)
“Our new dedicated commercial cargo aircraft are a natural evolution of the competitive guest services WestJet has successfully provided over our 25-year history. It will provide cargo customers with the reliable on-time performance and competitive cost advantage synonymous with WestJet,” said Charles Duncan, WestJet, Executive Vice-President, Cargo and President, Swoop.

Throughout 2022, WestJet Cargo will grow its fleet of 737-800BCFs, to work in tandem with the current offering of WestJet’s existing Cargo business. The 737-800 narrow body aircraft is quick to load and fly, enabling WestJet Cargo to offer greater fuel efficiency, flexibility and frequency for its customers. WestJet Cargo routes and scheduled services will accommodate the diverse needs of cargo customers using WestJet’s existing network and highly skilled 737 pilots.

“WestJet Cargo will enhance economic benefits through competitive product for shippers as well as new employment opportunities,” continued Duncan. “Dedicated, cost efficient and nimble narrow body freighters will make WestJet Cargo a dynamic and strong competitor.”

WestJet Cargo’s ability to ship on dedicated freighters or in the cargo hold on commercial routes provides cargo customers with increased reliability, flexibility and capacity to transport their diverse shipments to their chosen destination.

“Since our inception, 25 years ago, our collective goal at WestJet has been to provide competitive prices and superior service levels,” said Ed Sims, WestJet, President and CEO. “As we launch our dedicated cargo service, into a market that maintains an even greater need for competitive choice than what we saw in 1996, it is our commitment to provide customers with more choice, decreased costs and exceptional customer service.”

As WestJet Cargo expands, so too, will its team, network and flight plans. To learn more about how WestJet Cargo can fulfill shipping needs, or to discover incredible employment opportunities, visit WestJet Cargo.

About WestJet
---------- ADS -----------

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WestJet Dedicated Freighters

Post by Longtimer »

I wonder where the freighters will come from? Will they be new aircraft for WestJet or perhaps conversions of already owned Aircraft?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Does that mean that recalled junior pilots will have the joy of flying night freight for the next 10 years?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Longtimer wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am I wonder where the freighters will come from? Will they be new aircraft for WestJet or perhaps conversions of already owned Aircraft?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... ight-amid/

The company is working with lessors to lease them and will add to the fleet total.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

How much of a pay cut do you have to take? And how many more days a month?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

pacman007 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:38 am How much of a pay cut do you have to take? And how many more days a month?
Hopefully they don’t follow our lead and take a 10% cut

cjet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cjet »

Freighter's will be flown at WJ WACON.

Cjet

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

cjet wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:12 am Freighter's will be flown at WJ WACON.

Cjet
Until they paint them pink...

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

fish4life wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 am
pacman007 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:38 am How much of a pay cut do you have to take? And how many more days a month?
Please don’t follow the AC lead.

Let a 10% pay cut for flying a current fleet type (cargo conversion) be another feather in ACPA’s cap.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

rudder wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:45 am
fish4life wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 am
Please don’t follow the AC lead.

Let a 10% pay cut for flying a current fleet type (cargo conversion) be another feather in ACPA’s cap.
Valid point, but not to worry... ALPA at WJ/WS and WR do a great job at protecting pilot's interests.

No, I am not on the union payroll.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Post by digits_ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:06 am

Does that mean that recalled junior pilots will have the joy of flying night freight for the next 10 years?
Beats the S..it out of not working. Lots of pilots enjoy the steady wages earned from Large Cargo Air operators.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I’m curious what this and AC’s cargo ops are going to do to the Canadian cargo Landscape. Where does this leave a company like cargo jet if Canada’s 2 largest airlines can deliver freight directly to pretty much any medium or bigger sized location in Canada ?

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

fish4life wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:04 pm I’m curious what this and AC’s cargo ops are going to do to the Canadian cargo Landscape. Where does this leave a company like cargo jet if Canada’s 2 largest airlines can deliver freight directly to pretty much any medium or bigger sized location in Canada ?
CargoJet has been living comfortable for eight years on the Canada Post contract, but I'm sure that Air Canada will be biting for blood when the contract comes up.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Longtimer wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:47 pm

Beats the S..it out of not working. Lots of pilots enjoy the steady wages earned from Large Cargo Air operators.
Does it?

It's probably safe to assume that if the junior westjet pilots wanted to fly night cargo, they would have gone to a night cargo operator.

I haven't flown night cargo, but I did night medevac, and I can honestly say I would take a non aviation job over going back to the night flying any day.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

fish4life wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:04 pm I’m curious what this and AC’s cargo ops are going to do to the Canadian cargo Landscape. Where does this leave a company like cargo jet if Canada’s 2 largest airlines can deliver freight directly to pretty much any medium or bigger sized location in Canada ?
WJ will be at a disadvantage considering the longer range of the tripple

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

digits_ wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:14 pm

Does it?

It's probably safe to assume that if the junior westjet pilots wanted to fly night cargo, they would have gone to a night cargo operator.

I haven't flown night cargo, but I did night medevac, and I can honestly say I would take a non aviation job over going back to the night flying any day.
These are personal choices and life is full of them. You do you.

Given the carnage of the past 18 months in our industry, many will likely be glad to get back to anything resembling a full paycheque. That being said it sounds initially like the company wants the ability to mix and match passenger and cargo flying in any pairing so the cargo flying will not necessarily be a junior/recall assignment. Personally, I am skeptical that this will work given the different priorities of pax vs cargo operations, time will tell.

This is a 24 hour a day business so a certain amount of back of the clock flying is to be expected, there are those who thrive on this and those who don't, most of us just make it work, but to choose not to return to flying because you might have to do some night flying seems a bit extreme. JMHO.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

digits_ wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:14 pm

Does it?

703 medevac with 15 hour duty days 6 months a year is quite a bit different than the current 705 duty regs for flying at night

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

newlygrounded wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:36 am
WJ will be at a disadvantage considering the longer range of the tripple
Two different markets. WestJet is not going to be focusing on inter-continental cargo as much.

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

....plus there are folks among us who actually enjoy the night flying....

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

WestJet Puke wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:18 am ....plus there are folks among us who actually enjoy the night flying....
I mean, not having obnoxious passengers critique your landing is also a plus.

Return to “WestJet”