Which HeadSet For A B737NG

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mike Oxlong
Rank 1
Rank 1

Which HeadSet For A B737NG

Post by Mike Oxlong »

Which HeadSets are most the pilot’s using at WestJet. I am not sure which one I should buy. I have been looking at Telex 750, Telex 850 or the Telex 5X5 Pro.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJ700 »

I have a telex 5x5 pro and like it.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Telex 5X5.

Who needs a headset sqweezing your mind on pairings with a lot of cruise time.

Go to Costco and get the moulded earpiece - more cash but worth every penny.

Also - it prevents "headset head."

Picture this - finish work - have to out right away with buddies - change into plain clothes - honeys are everywhere - you look like you just finished a long shift at the drive thru window - have a nice time later doing a little self-appreciation - should have got the 5X5.

jjj

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

I agree with JJJ. The moulded ones are the way to go. To go one step further, I got the ones made for the police. They come as a pair and only cost 60 as opposed to the 55 for one for the aviation model. Now the only difference is I do not use a boom mike. I use the hand mike. But i Do use both ear pieces when riding the bike. Much better noise canceling.

The HNL/OGG flights would not be fun having a headset on the whole time.

mattski52
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mattski52 »

A set of $5 sony' ear buds from future shop will do just fine.

Machiavelli
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Machiavelli »

Absolutely. But you gotta buy the $8.50 adapter for the large prong. Total cost $13.50-$20.00 with tax. Or use the one out your X-box 360. :D
Don't get taken by the telex fashion. No way are they worth $400+.

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Sorry... I'm confused... you use just regular old headphones, like an IPOD set of buds? :? Is there a special connector required?

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Perhaps an avionics guy could chime in at this point.

I seem to recall a few years ago at a former job - an avionics guy did not allow pilots to use off the shelf radio shack headsets because they operated at a different impedence(?sp?) and we're responsible for ruining a few audio panels.

Any truth to this?

Are newer avionics packages immune from this?

I don't know, might be worth a phone call to your shop's avionics dude before you plug in a cheap headset.

BTW.... I agree that all "aviation" headsets are overpriced - especially the Telex 5X5.

David Clarke's are expensive but they work for 20 years.

Later.

jjj

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

go to costco and ask for whay again? a molded ear bud, and it has a boom mike? Whats the cost?

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Yup IPOD headphones work great. You just need an adaptor to get it from the 3.5 mm to 7 mm or so (Cannot rememeber the exact measurement) Not sure about the impedence issue. has never caused me any issues.

If you go to Costco they will mould the ear plug for you that has the ability to take the audio directly to year ear drum He drill a nice tube down to the end). Nice as it reduces the background noise to almost nil.
The pilot version has a boom attachment for attaching a mike to it.

But with that you only get one side to choose from.

Watch out though unless you get a mono connector to a stereo (not the other way around) YOu will only be able to hear out of the left side of the ear bud (IPOD type) As that is he side that the Plane sends out.

KAG, it doe snot come with the mike, only the attachment for the mike to connect to it.
55.00 per side for the pilots at costco. About a 2 week delivery window costco in the NE of Calgary the guy is great and knows all about the pilots and thier needs.

skyhigh
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skyhigh »

do you have a pic of your headset/mic?

mattski52
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mattski52 »

the adapter you need is 4 bucks at the source in your local mall

express
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by express »

cheapest telex you can find. they'll get smushed between books and sandwiches...and maxim magazines.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

anyone know if any of these cheapo headset/mike combos you can buy for the computer would work? I'd suppose you'd have to figure out a way to split the mike and headset to separate plugs, but why wouldn't that work?

Drinking outside the box.
737Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 737Driver »

KAG wrote:go to costco and ask for whay again? a molded ear bud, and it has a boom mike? Whats the cost?
You need to buy the Telex 5x5 and then go to costco to get a moulded ear insert made. The Telex 5x5 comes with a head band with a generic ear insert for one ear. The moulded one from Costco fits nicely in your ear and has an arm on it to attach the mike boom. Find telex's website and have a look at it, you'll see what I mean. I believe Calgary pilot shop had them for $373 and the costco earpiece was around $55. That was a couple years ago though.

macho macho man
Rank 0
Rank 0

Telex's view

Post by macho macho man »

Some info on TSO standards. Really, I think you're taking unecessary risks not using approved gear, and I'd be surprised if WJ didn't provide any direction. See http://www.telex.com/UserFiles/Download ... _2007_.pdf for a brief discussion of TSO requirements. No way you'd catch me with iPod earphones etc - it's a question of airworthiness.

Last edited by macho macho man on Thu May 17, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beater driver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Beater driver »

Sennheiser HMEC45

Last edited by Beater driver on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southforkroad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by southforkroad »

Anyone use Bose X?
Even required on these a/c?
Cheers

Caly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Caly »

dave-200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dave-200 »

Sennheiser noise cancelling. We have a deal through work, $650ish and they'll give you a $200 exchange for your old headset in working order. No need for batteries either, all a/c are setup for onboard power to the sennheisers.

Return to “WestJet”