looking for a good location to live

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

looking for a good location to live

Post by KAG »

Hello all
New to WJ, enjoying myself, and am starting to feel the need to settle down somewhere. Currently living in Toronto and going to do the commute/port thing but don't plan on staying in YYZ.

I want to live on a lake, boat, toys, a decent sized lot. Make my house my cottage and favorite bar rolled into one. What I'm looking for is reasonable lake front prices, with not a too hellish of a commute.

Any suggestions of places to check out on my days off would be appreciated.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
gulfan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gulfan »

Comox?

Mad Flying Ace
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mad Flying Ace »

LOL - look at that first response dude - I told ya I live in the best part of the country - a bit pricey - but coming from YYZ should be a peice of piss!!

wwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

cya in CYQQ!!

MadFlyingAce

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Cheapest waterfront I can think of might be north of YWG, or YXE.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
VW King
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VW King »

Go North of YYZ Dude. Cookstown, Innisfil. 1 hr drive aleast.

I'm not a monkey in training!
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

VW King wrote:Go North of YYZ Dude. Cookstown, Innisfil. 1 hr drive aleast.
The closest to YYZ I would consider would be Parry sound. I would rather the Ottawa area if i'm going to stay in ONT at all. I can't stand the humidity/heat.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
gulfan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gulfan »

Mad Flying Ace wrote:LOL - look at that first response dude - I told ya I live in the best part of the country - a bit pricey - but coming from YYZ should be a peice of piss!!

wwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

cya in CYQQ!!

MadFlyingAce
It's actually where I used to live. I remember when I was flying I'd see a few people commuting from Qualicum Beach / Parksville / Nanaimo. The Comox Valley is nice, although housing is starting to increase.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

C'mon KAG just head out to Fall River or somewhere near Miller's Lake or Porters Lake, etc etc etc. You know deep down that's where you belong!

flystraightin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flystraightin »

Brentwood Bay? Close to YYJ and nice scenery. Also, not as expensive as Victoria. Although, its not a lake...what about ocean? :)

fly straight in
--
chief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by chief »

Hey KAG. You got on? congrats. What g/s were you in? june 4th? I too came from jazz. you are gonna love it here. wait till you get your first schedule that you first bid. it will tell it all right there.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

lol, I got so caught up in studying, I remembered to bid for july, 2 hours too late. Oh well, I'll see what happens.

express
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by express »

No where in BC. Alberta has no lakes. Sask/Man/N.Ont are your only choices for "cheap" waterfront.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I was looking at sioux ste marrie. Cheap, nice but alittle out of the way....Maybe I will end up back east.

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Huntsville Ontario has some nice cottage areas. Muskoka is pretty nice too.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
3Green
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 3Green »

Check out the Peterborough area (Rice Lake would be closest to YYZ). About 1-1.5 East of YYZ.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Been looking at the comox valley, wow, some really nice places. I think were going to take a look as both me and my girlfriend both have friends out there (what a mess that would be eh mad flying ace)
Planning a trip in July to check it out.

From those that commute out of there how is it? How is the night life? or is the are a a bore? lots of outdoors stuff to do I gather, how about swimming, is the lakes/ocean warm in summer?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Lots of available aparments in the Jane/Finch area these days I hear. :lol:

Hadji Ramjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hadji Ramjet »

KAG, not trying to be rude, but it might help if you narrowed it down a bit, ie what do feel is "reasonable," and do you have any regional preferences? East Coast is much cheaper than West, and the proportion of crackheads/methheads/lousy drivers is much worse on the sunset side. Does it matter what the schools are like, 'cause that does vary? One serviced acre on Lac St Anne, 90 min from YEG is $180,000, taxes are low and handguns are cheap and plentiful. Bathurst Inlet is really cheap, but the commute will kill ya. If the polar bears don't do it first.
Seriously, I just went in with a brother on a piece on Galliano Island in the Gulf (Georgia, not Persian) with a tear-down and 480' of waterfront, but it's pretty costly and not really suitable for commuting. Also just bought a cabin in the middle of Pinecone-Burke provincial park, not far from Vancouver but not exactly a homestead or easily commutable, unless you can hike really really fast. Did considerable reasearch prior though, so maybe narrow it down a bit and the replies will be more relevant? Or PM me and I can pass on the meagre amount of gen that I have.
PS: Saskatchewan isn't cheaper anymore either. Booming gas and oil producing wealthier people who live and work in the very areas that were recently cheap.

Return to “WestJet”