Wj crash YOW

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mighty mouse
Rank 2
Rank 2

Wj crash YOW

Post by mighty mouse »

Heard something about a crash that just happened in YOW, involving a WJ 737, any news?
---------- ADS -----------

mighty mouse
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Wj crash YOW

Post by mighty mouse »

Oh, not a crash, just went off the end of the runway.

amraam
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by amraam »

AV8tor1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AV8tor1 »

At Air Canada your baggage might not make it to the terminal
but...........
westjet6535.jpg
westjet6535.jpg (130.32 KiB) Viewed 6295 times

at least you do.

Valcore
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Valcore »

Edited for bad taste after re-reading, sorry all.

Last edited by Valcore on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

That picture is REALLY misleading. I was out there this morning at the First Air hanger and popped by to see. Those snow banks are 20 feet in front of the plane. They must have really worked hard to find that angle to make it look more dramatic.

It just looks like the nose wheel went a bit off the end into the snow at a few miles an hour.

Valcore
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Valcore »

:roll:

Herc_Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Herc_Driver »

Nobody hurt.
I'd say that's a good news story.

Hhhmmm, is this thing on?
whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

First off, I'm glad everyone is ok. Its only an airplane.

Valcore, do you really work for Sunwing? Do you realize people died in that pic? Do you realize that crew did an awsome job to save the amount of lives they did?

Just from personal experience, looking at the Metars I can almost guarentee that runway 07/25 was the active even though runway 14 was more into wind and much longer. I know I am arm chair quarterbacking but when are airports going to be accountable for their actions. Given the choice would you rather land on a 10,000 foot into wind runway or a 7,000 foot runway with a crosswind.

Last edited by whipline on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

The YOW airport is not well maintained in winter. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
BTW Whipline, Valcore is not a Sunwing employee. I have a pretty good idea who this character is.

beast
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by beast »

Well, you know - at the airport where I work, I would estimate that close to 70% of the landing westjet flights touch down approximately halfway down the runway.

I've always said, one day somebody's going to get a surprise :D

If the aircraft touches down on the thousand footer's, with working thrust reversers, it will not slide off the end.

I'm sure people will say that 7000 feet isn't enough to land a 737, and that every runway in Canada should be lengthened to 20,000 feet.

Has anyone else noticed that CTV isn't reporting this story? Thats kind of "strange."

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

what airport are you talking about, Beast? Should I be the first to call bullshit on this one?

Drinking outside the box.
beast
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by beast »

Kelowna. I don't exactly understand how you plan to refute my observations

All I know is what I see, plus I have been on several WJ flights into Kelowna, on one we didn't touch down on 16 until the Flightcraft hangers - I was sweating buckets, boy.

express
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by express »

Beast you must be Mr. Aviator. :prayer:

beast
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by beast »

You know it :mrgreen:

In case anyone is wondering, i'm not questioning the ability of Westjet pilots, I'm just saying that recently many seem to be getting lazy regarding their landing technique. Prolonged landings are extremely dangerous, especially on shorter runways. Everyone is aware that incidences of this nature have been becoming quite frequent around the world.

I'm sure everyone will be touching down firmly on the thousand footers today :mrgreen:

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Hmm I’m sure WJ Safety will be looking at the time of passage of the freezing rain and the ATIS among other things. Did anyone check the runway after the freezing rain? If so was that report or other pilot’s reports passed on to the landing pilots in a timely fashion?

Regardless it’s still up to the Captain to make him/herself aware of all the conditions that could affect the safety of the flight. Calling up the tower before descent to confirm the runway conditions after a freezing rain passage is considered good practice.

tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

Just out of curiosity, can anyone confirm a similar WJ incident in YQT about two weeks ago?

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

express
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by express »

beast wrote:You know it :mrgreen:

In case anyone is wondering, i'm not questioning the ability of Westjet pilots, I'm just saying that recently many seem to be getting lazy regarding their landing technique. Prolonged landings are extremely dangerous, especially on shorter runways. Everyone is aware that incidences of this nature have been becoming quite frequent around the world.

I'm sure everyone will be touching down firmly on the thousand footers today :mrgreen:

Who the F... are you? Arrogant know it all armchair a..hole. :evil:
tonysoprano wrote:Just out of curiosity, can anyone confirm a similar WJ incident in YQT about two weeks ago?
I can confirm it was no big deal.....ice...can't back up. :oops:

Can anyone confirm the incident where the AC FO who went crazy over the Atlantic and had to be restrained? Those hats will eventually drive anyone crazy! Good thing the cog. tests are so relative. (Something about throwing stones in glass houses...) :goodman:

P.F.M
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P.F.M »

Whipline I like how you think! "When are airports going to be accountable for their actions." The YOW airport lie about the RWY conditions all the time......Goverment job ring any bells!!
Call it .40 in a snow storm and call it a night @ 5:00pm sharp!

PURE F_CKIN' MAGIC

Return to “WestJet”