Port System

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Port System

Post by rudder »

To the WJ folks... I know this question has been asked before but could somebody please explain in Layman Terms the Port System at WJ. I have a connection in the US that is looking for info.

Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Port System

Post by CAL »

rudder, I dont work for WJ and I likely never will but after 111 views I figured I would post what I was told...from what I was told in the past its quite simple...you tell them where you want your port and they do their best to design your roster around that port....pretty awesome if you ask me..I have been told that it works out ok typically but not always...
Just what I was told...

stickontheice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by stickontheice »

There's basically three "categories" if you will of where you start and end a pairing.

Calgary (WJ's only official base) You live, start and end your pairings in YC.

Porters - People who participate in the Port System which are almost like "mini-bases". You live, start and end your pairings there. Port system only exist where there are enough crews to make it work. Victoria, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto, Halifax to name a few. If the airport isn't recognized as a port then pairings won't be assigned to start and end there. To my knowledge there are no US Ports.

Some ports work better than others. Vancouver is working well. Toronto isn't working as well because there aren't enough captains there. That will probably change in the future as people get upgraded. When enough WJetters live in a common area then they can apply for a Port. If approved then the pairings begin. If a Port already exists in a desired area then the person applies to become part of the Port.

After that there are the Commuters. Basically people who choose to live somewhere that isn't Calgary or a Port. I know we have commuters that live in the States. I met one FA who commutes from the UK. Pretty crazy if you ask me but different strokes for different folks.

Hope this helps. Maybe others can expand on it. I imagine we have Porters on this forum. They'd know more about it.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Thanks. The inquiry is from a US based pilot who would like to advance the idea for their airline.

I understand that crews must be matched at the port (1 Capt/ 1 FO). Once a port is approved and crews are identified, how are trips built? Are they published for bidding? What about days off bids? What software system does WJ use? Does it do the port scheduling or is it done manually? What are the benefits for the company in the port system?

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

I believe the original pairings were built by hand, but the system was eventually worked into the Wings bidding system we use. The ports are an evolution, a work in progress so to speak, and we are currently reviewing how we operate them... more to come by spring from the sounds of it.

Drinking outside the box.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Thanks. I have a copy of the recent WJPA agreement but it does not offer much detail on the mechanics of the Port System. I was just hoping to get a 'users' explanation of how each bid month works.

highlander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by highlander »

When you are enrolled in a Port, you essentially complete one schedule bid a month. However, the bid comprises your Port Bids and your Non Port Bids- all in one. This would mean various pairing attributes such as check-in times, layover destinations, etc.

For example, a non port bid might specify late check-ins. But you might on the same bid specify AM check-ins for the Port. In Wings we can bid multiple things so your bid might look like this:

1) Desire AM Checkins (Port)
2) Desire PM Checkins (Non Port)
3) Desire 4 day pairings (Non Port)
4) Desire Layover YYZ (Port)

You would also add day off requests etc. The order would vary for each person. There are many many variables which everyone has touched upon.....the biggest though is that the # of pairings will depend on the lowest number of a particular group- Capts, FO's or FA's.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Thanks. I presume that the pilot is therefore bidding on pairings that have not yet been constructed (?). I also assume that the benefit for the company is savings in crew cycle expense (per diem/hotel/transportation). What happens for flight coverage when a pilot is unavailable for a port check-in?

highlander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by highlander »

Normally we get a document outlining the proposed pairings for the next month. This would be based on projected crews available- (accounting for training, holidays, leaves of absence, etc.) The total number of pairings, the types of pairings will vary month to month. We then make our bids based on what we see. So if there are no YVR overnights planned out of a certain port city, you would not bid YVR overnights during your bidding- therefore, you don't waste your bid.

As for someone not being at the Port or able to work (sick) I guess every airline has there procedures. WJ doesn't have reserve (pilots) but we have pilots who list themselves availble to fly should the need arise. We also have pilots looking to pick-up OT. In any case it might mean having a crew member deadhead to wherever they are needed.

Return to “WestJet”