Another Hiring Question... with a twist!

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FriendlyBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Another Hiring Question... with a twist!

Post by FriendlyBear »

Dear DaveP,
I would like to ask about online social networks and hiring practices... I had a HR guy on the jump the other day and he mentioned that the last hiring round (at my present employer) revolved around online social networks and google... I have often wondered if people who apply for jobs but do not belong to an online social network (such as Facebook Linkedin etc) are at a disadvantage? Some people like to remain "unsearchable" online and thus, when 'Googled' nothing comes up... what are your thoughts on this subject and if I may, what value does the pilot hiring team at WJ place on such valuable sources of information (social netwwork/internet searchable etc etc). I would be curious to know. The HR guy told me later that in his opinion I am at a disadvatage with the majority of companies worldwide when it comes to being invited to an interview because there are so many applicants most companies filter online applications via a matrix system and only then only invite those who are selected in the matrix scheme and are subsequently searchable online as this eases in building an understanding and background for potential candidates. In fact, the HR guy told me that he would buy me a lunch if I could find one company that didn't use this reasource or MO. What value or weight does WJ place on being searchable online? I tend to stay away from online social networks so I am wondering if I am hadicapping my applications without even knowing it??!!
Thought, comments appreciated!
Thanks,
FB :bear:

I was thinking of Facebook/Twitter/Linked-In
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by FriendlyBear on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Another Hiring Questions... with a twist!

Post by Airbrake »

I wont answer for Dave.
But since they do not have an iPhone App yet. I would suggest they do not use any of the previously mentioned searching methods.

Just my view

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I don't see how not being on these social networking sites could be a disadvantage. Aren't the employers looking to weed out people with this method? If they don't find any stupid pictures of you online because you aren't online, how can that be a bad thing?

I certainly know several companies that do not care if you're on facebook or not: All the ones I've worked for.

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

Personally I specifically block all "public" access to any of those social sites partially for this reason.

While I have nothing to hide, I dont believe any company has the right to know about my personal life and such.

I do know that a lot of companies, (not in aviation) use this as a standard practice to get rid of a potential candidate, but I have never seen it HELP someone get hired.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi, thanks for the question.

I would love to say we have never used a search for candidates in order for you to get a free lunch, but unfortunately I have used it from time to time. As a standard practice, we don't.

Social media is certainly becoming more and more of a norm now a days and if anything it gives a small insight to who that person is outside of work. What I use as a more valuable tool is simply the search in the TC site. There you can validate stories from the interview if there was an accident or violation. In almost all cases it simply validates what the candidate has told us therefore strengthening the interview and ones integrity. Old tribunals are easily searched as well.

I want to add that accidents or violations are all considered here and will not discount one from ever being granted an interview. Honesty and integrity are more important. We have all learned from our mistakes.

In summary, yes we do use it from time to time but we don't rely on it a whole lot. Are you at a disadvantage for not using it? - No. That's the beauty of a good solid internal recommend. We don't care if you tweet or FB....

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited by DaveP on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FriendlyBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FriendlyBear »

Thanks for the replies guys, I find it an interesting topic to discuss. Being slightly older than the majority of my peers I already sense a generational gap- and I think that is exactly what our HR guy was getting at. He is 12 years younger than me and for his generation (according to him) it is completely normal to tweet, FB use zing, Linkedin etc etc... in fact, he found it strange for somebody NOT to be a part of the online social networking scene. I guess that divides the early 70's and early 80's generations... I was rather surprised at what sort of information can be mined out of the internet using a basic google search or FB page. Our HR guy also told me that they have used the mined information to hire and also to steer clear of certain candidates. I am still happy though that I have been able to maintain a low profile on the net... but, I do wonder about the applications I have submitted over the years that were possibly by passed because there were no FB page, tweet or Linkedin profile to search... I guess it depends on which company and the HR preferences!
Anyhow, it would make for a great thesis topic in graduate school if you are studying psychology! Or, an 'ice breaker' in the early stage of an interview: "why are you so active/not active in the online social network scene?"Thanks for the feedback guys.
Fly safe
FB :bear:

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

I had this very same debate with one of my peers recently. He thought the use of social networking would be something that could be very dangerous for HR departments. There are many questions that potential employers cannot ask in an interview that your facebook quickly answers. If I am in a same-sex marriage, a member of the communist party and an attendee of the church of the flying spaghetti monster that's no one's business but my own. HOWEVER, do I need advertise it on facebook? Is any of that necessary? We're living in an era of too much sharing and too much personal information.

I guess you need to ask yourself "am I comfortable with my chief pilot knowing this?". If the answer is no, keep it off the internet. I sure don't trust facebook to keep my information private.

Return to “WestJet”