Westjet Second Fleet Type

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Westjet Second Fleet Type

Post by jetsetfly »

-WestJet likely to expand into 2nd fleet type - CFO

* Currently uses fleet of Boeing 737s

* Eyeing wide-body, regional aircraft types

Nov 15 - WestJet Airlines Ltd is likely to diversify from its current single-aircraft fleet type eventually, although no decision has been made at this stage, its chief financial officer said on Tuesday.

"It is likely that we, at some point, will move into a second fleet type. We study it continuously," said Vito Culmone, the CFO of Canada's second biggest airline.

He said WestJet was studying moves into the wide-body aircraft market as well as the regional aircraft market. At this stage it had no preference for either market.

WestJet operates a single fleet of Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft. The uniform fleet, which brings with it lower maintenance, training and other costs, is often cited as a major reason why WestJet's expenses are one-third lower than bigger rival Air Canada's .

Culmone's comments were made at the Scotia Capital transportation and aerospace conference in Toronto.
---------- ADS -----------

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Westjet Second Fleet Type

Post by twinpratts »

Yawn.
Nothing new here... they've been saying this forever.

NEXT! :roll:

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Tiny Tyke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiny Tyke »

It's good for them to keep the rumour alive. It will keep the costs down when they go to Boeing to purchase additional 737s.

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

Smaller. :wink:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

CanadaEH wrote:Smaller. :wink:
Q400's.

Who will fly them? If WJ, what will pay scale look like? Will Q400 Capt pay same/more than 737 FO? Will there be 'freezes' to save training dollars? What will be the crew bases - surely more than YYC?

Lots of issues associated with a new equipment type, although it will open up many, many more routes/stations in Canada to WJ.

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

I'll leave the guessing up to the quarterback CEO's.

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

Greg S said he wanted 50% of Canada. If this happens but as stated above we hear this every year soooo....My guess it will be Q400's. But like a ICL said "so why change, we are making money aren't we?"

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

I'm still waiting for the PC-12 operation in Southern Ontario to start-up that is going to feed the Hamilton hub... :D

Have Pratts - Will Travel
legacy777
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by legacy777 »

787 ????

ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToolShed »

A350s. There is a photo of Westjet dude talking to Airbus at Farnborough on PPrune.

Machiavelli
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Machiavelli »

Is it KM? :lol:

airmech07
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airmech07 »

If air Canada ditches jazz then jazz can do the flying. We would call them westjet express

Armitron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Armitron »

If air Canada ditches jazz then jazz can do the flying. We would call them westjet express

After a Jazz capt denied one of our pilots out of YDF the other day with 9 open seats, I dont think so. Its a unwritten rule you never deny a pilot trying to get to work out of a small base with tons of open seats. This guy had to wait another 10 hours to get out of there and lost a days pay. Hope this jazz guy tries to get on one of my WJ flights. Just a friendly reminder, as rules maybe rules next time i take two employees in the jump so one or two of you guys can get home.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Armitron,
I am sure the Jazz skipper did not know it was a WJ pilot. He probably just assumed it was an AC pilot. We see this alot. :(

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Actually Jazz pilots also do this to themselves. I watched a YUL based crew do the same thing to one of their own pilots while I was in YDF working for Jazz.
It really pissed menoff then, and I see this crap is still going on.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

Guys let me apologize on behalf of the 99% of Jazz pilots who would let ANY pilot jumpseat with us. Yes there are and always will be that 1% who just have to be assholes. As an FO it can be frustrating to have to deal with some of these guys. But thankfully almost all the guys/gals at Jazz are decent. And crews denying company pilots is just wrong, that I will never understand.

following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

When I was at Jazz, I had seen a few times where people were denied the j/s because of W&B issues. With a full load of pax, the RJ can be a pain in the arse to carry someone in the Jumpseat unless you have the right amount of bags and/or ballast.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

Maybe it was a line check or line indoc. There are lots of reasons to not want someone in the jumpseat.

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

If you list Reciprocal Jump Seat with AC/Jazz but don't get on, does anyone know the best/quickest/easiest way to get a refund from Air Canada? I waited too long (12 days) and now the Recip-Jump-phone-line-lady can't bring up the booking so I have now sent an email to the Refund Department (!). They auto-replied it might be 3 weeks before I get a response back.

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

If he was reciprocal jump-seat from WJ he would not be in the actual jump-seat but in the back. And if this actually happened because someone wanted to be an "arse" than this is truly unfortunate. Our boys in YDF are fantastic people who would always put 2 WJ employees in jump in order to squeeze a couple of Jazz pilots on board.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a captain fly a YYT-YYZ or YHZ-YYZ squat up against the controls with 2 in the jump so we could get a JAZZ pilot to work/home. I've never seen or heard of one of our guys denying a reciprocal jump. And I'm sure we would have grounds to do so, seeing how cramped it is with 4 people up there.

Pisses me off to hear about our guys/gals being treated that way, especially those guys!

Return to “WestJet”